Sandbox won't open a certain software, error messages in system events viewer

When I try to run Windows Live Messenger in Sandbox, it won’t open. Checking Sandboxed processes shows that it becomes virtualized for a few seconds and then disappears off the list of sandboxed processes. At the same time, the following errors show up in system events viewer:

Application event log:

Source: EventSystem
Event Category: (50)
Event ID: 4609
The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal
processing. HRESULT was 80070424 from line 44 of
d:\comxp_sp3\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please
contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

System event log:

Source: SideBySide
Event ID: 59
Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.CRT.mui. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

Source: SideBySide
Event ID: 59
Generate Activation Context failed for C:\PROGRA~1\WINDOW~4\MESSEN~1\vvpltfrm.dll… Reference error message: The operation completed successfully

Unless people send you stuff now and then I don’t see why you’d want to sandbox windows live messenger?

But are you running it as Fully Virtualized or do you also apply restrictions? If you apply restrictions, try doing it fully virtualized instead.

Also just a heads up, microsoft is going to shut down msn/wlm in march this year so it might be a good idea to transfer your msn/wlm account into a Skype account in order to keep your contacts, I don’t know if this is done automatically when they shutdown msn.

Unless people send you stuff now and then

They do, so that’s exactly why I wanted to sandbox it.

But are you running it as Fully Virtualized or do you also apply restrictions? If you apply restrictions, try doing it fully virtualized instead.

I’ll admit I’ve read only a brief overview of the sandbox introduction, so I’m not sure how to check whether restrictions are being applied to it. However, when I sandbox it, it appears as a fully virtualized process in KillSwitch… but only for a few seconds, then it simply shuts down. Why would it do that? And what’s with the error messages?

Also just a heads up, microsoft is going to shut down msn/wlm in march this year so it might be a good idea to transfer your msn/wlm account into a Skype account in order to keep your contacts, I don't know if this is done automatically when they shutdown msn.

Thanks for the tip!

Then I don’t know what the problem is. My best guess is that WLM isn’t behaving properly while sandboxed or WLM can’t access the things that it needs since it’s sandboxed. I can’t help you further myself since I don’t know more than I’ve already said so you’ll have to wait for someone else more qualified to give you a better answer.

Edit: Does it work when you run it outside of the sandbox?

Ok, thanks anyway.

Edit: Does it work when you run it outside of the sandbox?

At least seemingly so. Doesn’t report any errors in system events viewer either.

Edit: Perhaps someone could test if this happens on their system as well?

I was planing to but the installer wouldn’t let me since I have pending uninstallations which needs me to reboot. However I can’t reboot at the moment. I will try as soon as I can though.

Edit: I have tried it now and while sandboxed, I don’t get any interface. The process doesn’t disappear though but the interface never appears. I couldn’t find any way to get it to work myself so ended up un-installing WLM.

Edit 2: I tried Pidgin which is an alternative client for MSN and it worked while in the sandbox, I also tried running skype in the sandbox which worked. I would recommend upgrading your MSN account into a Skype account and then running the Skype client in the sandbox.

You can update to skype by using this link: Skype Support for All products | Skype Support Just click “Update to Skype” then click “Download Skype” After installation you can log in with the same information you use for MSN

Alright, so that would seem to rule out the likeliness of me just having had a corrupt file. Though I’d be interested to know if you also got the errors in the event logs.

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to test it. Your recommendations are also appreciated!

Sorry didn’t check that and looking for specific things like that in my event viewer is like looking for a needle in a haystack without using a metal detector or anything like that.

Edit: I tried searching for “The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code” in my event viewer under several categories but it didn’t find anything.

Edit 2: Realized you put up more than 1 event logs (3 in total) so I looked for the other two and found nothing there either.

So I’d recommend getting Skype since you’ll have to do that later (march) anyway (unless you refuse and quit msn/skype completely) other option would be to create a bug report but getting something fixed might take a while.

There is a known problem with WLM.

Pidgin works well installed into Kiosk

Best wishes

Mouse