Sandbox questions [RESOLVED]

Most, if not all, of my questions have probably been asked already? I’m still confused. Can someone, who actually works for COMODO, give me a clear answer please. Thanks in advance.

1. Can a sandboxed application read files that are not sandboxed? (i.e. Manually sandboxing Paint.net and reading a JPG file from Pictures?)

2. Can a sandboxed application write files outside the sandbox? (i.e. Paint.net above saving a new/modified picture to my pictures folder and it show up by browsing to my pictures folder)

3. When, if ever, are the files that have been virtualized cleaned out?

4. If they are not automatically, then where are they located so i can periodically wipe them out, should I choose to do so.

Again, I thank you in advance. If i put this in the wrong spot I am sorry.

I’m answering on the basis that the file is manually sandboxed and virtualised.

1. Yes, it chooses the latest version if there are sandboxed and non-sandboxed versions
  2. No it should not - there may be a technique to force it to, not sure
  3. AFAIK they are not. I guess this may come later.
  4. C:\VritualRoot<app. name> but be careful what you delete. Data files fine, Settings files you need to know what you are doing

Please see the introduction here for further queries.

Best wishes

Mouse

Yeah, in the case of paint.net it would pretty much have to be manually sandboxed and virtualized, because it uses windows installer to install the program. Which, AFAIK, won’t run in sandbox.

Hmmm, okay i’m going to run a test on paint.net see what happens. If it can write to the harddrive i’ll let you know.

Double posting. Got an answer. The image I saved from within paint.net while the program was manually sandboxed and virtualized DID NOT show up on the desktop. The file was in the sandbox folder under the program name.

[color=purple]Hi

Your queries now seem to now been resolved. I’ll lock this topic and mark as [RESOLVED] should you have any further queries relating to this specific issue please PM an online Moderator and the topic can then be re-opened. If you have any other queries or issues please create a new topic.

Regards,

Mouse