Rising Antivirus Free

Well here we go

pro : it’s free and scans for malware, nice interface
cons : heavy on recourse, bad update(always reinstalling), to weak protection, bad rootkit detection

overall : it’s free and could become better in the future, but in the meantime go with AVG/antivir/avast

Xan

I agree

OMG. I forgot to point that out also. Why in the world do updates come like installs. My NOD32 just sits there and updates in the back round and never bothers me.

true, that what made look strange at it. I installed it, and updated, then it reinstalled ???, I was like, ok it could be. Next day, I updated, again reinstall, and I deleted it ;D

Xan

One day it will be a good av but honestly for free AVG and Avast have it all over Rising.

We can see:
-Poor updates
-The other free AV have got better detection.
-Heavy on resources.

What’s positive in this AV?

Conclusion:
-Rubbish AV

Are you masochists? hahaha.

To me Rising is a fantastic AV. I’m pretty sure neither Avast, AVG, nor Avira for that matter was not that well developed when they first came out. Rising on the other hand has excellent detection based upon current virusbulletin and virus-test.org tests. Rising gives you superb self-defense, something that Avast only got recently with version 4.8. For Avira to update it has to stop some if not most of its services. Rising can protect NOD32 and buttress its defenses, something that NOD32 is incapable of doing on its own.

I can bet that Rising is already making a lot people in the Antivirus community nervous, competition is fierce these days. To me Rising is a great antivirus and more importantly it is capable of protecting other antivirus software such as AVG and NOD32 from being shut down by virii they are supposedly trying to destroy.

Peace

And by the way buy a bigger hard drive if the size of Rising folder is a problem for some. ;D

Rising isn’t a new AV. Is new here, but with some years in the chinese market :wink:
Superb self-defense, do you test it boy?
Oh, I’m nervous.

■■■■■■ chinese AV.

IMHO it’s not ■■■■■■. Definetly better than AVG 8 :slight_smile: No problems with updates, much lighter on resourses and detects stuff pretty good :slight_smile: It’s just too large and needs a bit of polishing here and there. This is a much serious product than Twister is now.
I think Rising will be a very strong competitor in free AV market.

Careful Rafel. Jaki knows all. Running 2 av’s at once is better then running 1 av. Over the top protection and layers of security are better. Blah. I do admit Rising seems good but still leaves alot to be desired. I do not think Rising is ■■■■■■.

Guys , please don’t fight ! :slight_smile: If Jaki wants to use 2 AV’s - whatever, it’s his decision. We are talking about Rising here. :wink:

True, go to the other topic and fight it out there >:(

Anyway, IMHO is quite good, but the updates really need to be polished, always reinstalling ? What the point of that ? Anyway, I don’t think it will/can compete with Twister now, at least , not yet :).

Xan

Get a punching bag & join a martial arts school, Get your Black Belt in 6 yrs. That’s what I did.

!ot!

LOL. 6 years. I got my 1 dan in Tae Kwon Do in a year and a half. Got my 2nd dan in another year. Got my 3rd dan in 2 more years and my 4th dan never tested for but I am qualified.

Well I think the updates are far better than what Comodo does. You do need to go to remove and reinstall when there’s a big update. Rising updates can be silent like those of Nod32. Nod 32 is good. But it doesn’t offer any protection to system files at all. Unlike this AV. Does Nod 32 alerts you when an app wants to start up with windows ? NO. Now on the free contenders. I’ve used Avast for years but Avast doesn’t have heuristics or system protection. And doesn’t have a clean option when an infection is found. Meaning you can crash your system if a virus is found in a system file. AVG 8 isn’t so stable. And Avira free doesn’t detect spyware or offer system protection either.

Nod32 would destroy the virus before making a change to the system file.
As for rising stopping start ups, That’s fine. Nod32 is not a HIPS, it was not designed to do this. Nod32 would destroy the malware before adding a start-up rule (if it’s covered in it’s signature\hueristics)
Might I add, you don’t need the start-up checking etc… It’s just a watered down HIPS… I assume you have D+

Adding all these extra features has bloated Rising.

Thank you Kyle. I will put my NOD32 up against Rising any day. Until Rising can do this on the eicar site its no good to me.

[attachment deleted by admin]

AV Comparatives has voted NOD32 best av 2 years in a row. Lets see what this year brings. Maybe Rising will be tested by them. Look at all the zeros Rising got.

That is asuming the virus list from Nod32 detects everything. Wich no one can. It’s just a list. If the virus isn’t in the list it enters freely like with a door open. That’s why system protection is important. I’m not using Comodo at home. I’m using outpost firewall 2009 with Rising. They make a heck of a team. Actually adding hips to an antivirus doesn’t make it bloated. It makes it complete. The advantage of system protection is that even if the virus it’s not on the list it cripples the virus making it almost usless.

About the webshield. When I had Nod32 v3 I notice that when I try to download an infected file it kept alerting but doesn’t force the abort of connection like Avast does. But anyways bringing this up with an eicar test file doesn’t mean anything. The antivirus companies could just add that specific virus in the database. Notice they all say Eicar test file. I think the test is just meant to be used in a method like let’s see if the antivirus realtime is working. That’s the purpose of it. But what about real known/unknown threats?

The screen shot you see happens when ever I download any infected file. It also happens when I visit certain warez site. Its stops and deletes it automatically since I have active mode on.