[Resolved] Ran Registry Cleaner, System won't boot - HELP!!!

Hi,

In order to assist you in solving your problem we need to have more details regarding the circumstances surrounding your scenario and error occurrence. Please describe a few elements needed by us to reproduce your scenario :

• Your Operating System (and whether it’s 32bit/64bit);
  • Version of Comodo System Cleaner used;
  • Security Software Installed and settings (low/high security);
  • How you produced the problem.

We need to determine if CSC triggered that issue or not, because there is a very large number of possibilities for that result to be reached. Either way, when CSC 38 ( if that is the version you have used ) is installed on a computer the CRPF.SYS, CSDF.SYS and CSC.SYS files are always present in Windows\System32\drivers. So if you didn’t have those files in there, it means there was something wrong with your CSC installation, maybe a security software blocked them, or manually removal, something out of the ordinary install procedure.

Thank you for your support.

I will give you the information that I can find.

Emachine model T3985 with Windows XP Home Edition. Here is a copy of System Info:

System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2926 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. BF86510A.15A.0085.P20.0412152353, 12/15/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = “5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)”
User Name EMACH-HOMEWORK\Owner
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.58 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.83 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I believe it is Windows 32 bit.

Version of Comodo System Cleaner used;

COMODO Registry Cleaner
File Version: 1.0.1.12
Date Created 8/22/2008
Size 2.97mb

crclog info:

Starting Scan
Scan Finished
Found 1713 errors
Start Cleaning
created backup file :\Program Files\COMODO\Registry Cleaner\Backup\06-08-09
Finished Clean
Removed 1576 errors

Security Software Installed and settings (low/high security);

Norton Util was on the PC but not being used.

McAfee was being used for virus protection. Internet security settings set at “medium”, I’m not sure what other settings you are interested in. By the way, this was the McAfee which was free from Comcast. McAfee Integrated Security Platform. File Version 8.0.237.0, created 8/12/2006. Long ago I tried using the individual logins of this program to use the child security levels, but was too tedius switching users, so I disabled that feature. Other than that, I do not recall what specifically was running, other than virus protection, and possibly a fire wall. We had been using linksys on our home network (not during time of this crash), so I may not have been using McAfee’s firewall. At the time of this crash, we had just recently switched ISP’s to AT&T and using their router. Not sure that should effect your programs performance. If there are specific files you would like for me to try to find on McAfee, let me know.

How you produced the problem.

As you can see from the log above, this is what your software did. As mentioned in forum messages, I do remember seeing a pie chart suggesting the registry needed compression, so i clicked yes or whatever the option stated. At that point, either it rebooted or I rebooted and the blue screen of death was there from that point on.

Hope this helps.

Question for you. I did after all was said and done fine the backup of the registry file. During the “crisis” I did not think to go look for it - and if I found it, I would not know where to copy it to in using it as backup. And would other files have had to be copied/deleted/moved for the system to be reverted back to the way it was?

Suggestion, In your Comodo directory, would it make sense to have an revert to previous state program that could be run from a DOS prompt - for those of us who crash and can’t get back to Windows? I first tried a DOS boot disk - couldn’t get very far with that. Then I made a windows boot disk and was able to get into a file manager program on there, which is where I made a backup in case I had to use it. But if you made it known prior to running your software, that this “revert” program was in X location - it possibly save a lot of headaches in the future.

I am a computer professional … but primarily in database management. So I know enough system stuff to get me in trouble. :slight_smile: I hope this helps prevent someone else from having to go through this.

Hi,

The tool that you used is not Comodo System Cleaner, that was Comodo Registry Cleaner which is old and not distributed by Comodo from a very log time. Now it’s clear why those 3 sys files were not in the Windows\System32\drivers directory…at that time Registry Cleaner had another architecture.
I’m sorry for the inconvenience created by that tool, but it’s an outdated early product from it’s beta stage.I recommend you use what most of Comodo products users do, and that is the latest official release which you can download from here:

https://forums.comodo.com/comodo_system_cleaner_fileregistryprivacy_cleaner/comodo_system_cleaner_116494638_released-t38861.0.html

Besides this you can try a beta version of CSC 2, available on the forum.

Thank you for your support.

I tried csc with safe mode and ■■■■ it went! I mostly stay away from system cleaners now.

Well, that explains it. I googled registry cleaners and found the link for that product in YOUR forums. Surrounded by raving reviews about how great the product was. If that is so outdated, those links ought to be inactivated.

softballmom,

So sorry about those Beta download links being active, and thanks for providing Adrian info.

I have removed the active links from the Beta corner, as you pointed out.

LM

Softballmom,

I apologize for being late on this suggestion, I did not see this post until now. But it may help others in the future.

Over the years working as a PC repair tech I have learned a neat trick that help in most situations like this, where the registry has been destroyed in one way or another. This only works if “System Restore” was enabled on your PC.

I know that there are times that a damaged registry will not allow a user to log in under “safe mode” or use the “last known good configuration” option. This prevents us from using the system restore wizard in windows. However, the system restore files can still be found in the hidden “System Volume Information” folde on the root of your C: drive or system partition.

To access this folder you must gain access to the files by using a live boot CD like Bart’s PE or moving the hard drive to another PC and install as a slave or use a USB adapter. You may have to set the options in Windows Explorer to show hidden system files and folders. (Tools - Folder Options – View – Hide Protected Operating System Files)

Once you find this folder you may have to add yourself under the security tab for the folder properties so that you can gain access to the folder. Once inside, you should see a folder similar to _restore{A30126F1-Eb…… Within that folder you should see many compressed folders with the names RP0, RP1, RP2, RP3… etc…. Take note of the Date Modified as this is the date and time of the restore point.

Open a recently modified RPx folder and then open the “snapshot” folder within. You will then see files _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM, _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY, _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE, _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM.

What you are going to do is copy these files to a temporary folder (do not just move them, COPY them. If moved that restore point with be damaged and unusable by the windows wizard.) after you copy them rename them to just SAM, SECURITY, SOFTWARE, SYSTEM.

After you renamed them or just deleted the REGISTRY_MACHINE part of the name, located the folder C:\WINDOWS\system32\config in here you fill see the current, damaged registry files. Replace them or overwrite them with the files we pulled from the system restore.

Once completed, Remove any user accounts you may have added to the System Volume Information folder. By not doing this you can leave open a security vulnerability.

Reinstall your hard drive to the PC if it was removed. Windows should now work. You may see error messages as the FULL restore was never done, only a manual restore of the registry.

If you can now get into Windows. I recommend you do a real restore using the System Restore Wizard so that we can make sure Windows restores all the other files and settings correctly.

I give no guarantee with this… This is just simply a trick I have used over the years with great personal success.

Thank you. That gives me (and others) some great information. That was one “missing link” of info that would have been handy during all of the trouble shooting! I appreciate you taking your time to write all that out - I’ll be saving that for future reference.

Thanks for posting that, Chizad24. Hopefully that will help others when they encounter similar situations (however they get to that point). Tips like that are always handy knowledge to have on hand in troubled times…

~LM

Its no problem… I just wish I had seen this post sooner. Its never a good time to have to reinstall everything. :-\

This won’t help with getting back your Windows Installation but WILL help get your data back:
Using another computer, go to BartPE’s site, download the program and create a boot CD.
Insert the CD in your non booting computer, make sure your BIOS is set to boot first from a CD and boot from the BARTPE CD. If you have a network, allow the network drivers to load.
You will be running Windows XP from the CD. Access your hard drives and copy your pictures to a USB drive or to any external Hard Drives or to another PC in your network, if you have it.
Your life is now saved!. If you are garateful, may I be introduced to your teenage daughter?? ha ha ha
Good luck!

The BARTPE site:
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/download/

Ach, no, it’s not; that is for certain!

Of course, it’s a trade-off to run System Restore - resource consumption, potential hiding place for malware, but it can be a life-saver if kept on. Those who turn it off have to do so willingly and realize that there is an unseen potential, as you mention.

I’d wager the majority of us have had to redo it all at some point or other, and it’s never fun.

LM

It seems the topic has been resolved, if not the best way - only in the sense that the user is back up and running. Thus it will be closed and locked.

Softballmom, if you need it reopened, please PM a Moderator (include a link back here so they know where to go), and requested it be unlocked.

LM