[RESOLVED] Comodo firewall is constantly accessing MSCTF.DLL

TOPIC TITLE

CIS is constantly opening and closing the file C:\windows\system32\MSCTF.dll.

The bug/issue

The machine is running normally, either idle or lightly loaded. My C: drive light constantly flickers. I ran MS / Sysinternals “Filemon” progarm to see why. It produces a log where the following repeats infinitely:

7:27:22 AM cfp.exe:2112 FASTIO_QUERY_OPEN C:\windows\system32\MSCTF.dll SUCCESS Attributes: A
7:27:22 AM cfp.exe:2112 IRP_MJ_CREATE C:\windows\system32\MSCTF.dll SUCCESS Options: Open Access: 00100020
7:27:22 AM cfp.exe:2112 IRP_MJ_CLEANUP C:\windows\system32\MSCTF.dll SUCCESS
7:27:22 AM cfp.exe:2112 IRP_MJ_CLOSE C:\windows\system32\MSCTF.dll SUCCESS

==> This disk access repeats ** 300 times per second ** constantly. Not just sometimes, but ALL the time.

==> This is seriously wearing my C: drive.

My setup is:

#) CIS version: 5.5.195786.1383.
#) Windows XP Pro, 32-bit SP3, all updates.
#) Intel processor.

#) This has been a problem for at least a year, and I have completely removed and reinstalled CIS in that time. The problem has continued.

#) Other than defining some trusted files (including MSCTF.DLL) I haven’t made any major changes to the default CIS configuration.

#) My Defense+ and Firewall security levels are both SAFE. I don’t have the Sandbox or Comodo AV active.

#) I have Avira AntiVir Premium installed. But the MSCTF.dll problem occurs whether that is enabled or not.

#) I have the Windows Language Bar installed because this machine is used by non-English speakers. Turning off the language bar is not an option.

#) No virtual machine installed.

I’M NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS PROBLEM. THE FACT THAT FOLKS AREN’T REPORTING IT MEANS NOTHING… THEY JUST DON’T REALIZE WHAT’S BEING DONE TO THEIR HARDWARE. PLEASE TRY TO GET SOME PRIORITY ON FIXING THIS.

Thanks

Thank you for your part finished Issue report we really need a full report before it can be moved to verified could you please supply the rest of the report.

Example here of a full report.

The only possible reason for not supplying a full report is you have been contacted by a Staff member please supply details, otherwise this topic will be moved to Orphaned/Resolved/Outdated Issues - CIS.

Thank you

Dennis

HELLO, I have the same problem too - very annoying!
Please indicate a solution…
BTW:
I’ve decided just now to unsubscribe from my current AV = ZoneAlarm (as provided by TelecomItalia), because of a similar problem.
ZA always access 2 files like BACKUP.RDB and IAMDB.RDB, with a heavy cpu load, and nobody in TI or ZA support could tell why.
I made a short investigation and found very good remarks for comodo; that’s why I’m testing it to use it on my 3 PCs.
So it’s really weird to discover immediately a similar bug!
If the issue is solved, I’g gladly buy from Comodo.
Please!

FOLLOWUP:

• I’ve contacted the “geekbuddy support” twice;
  • I attach a screenshot of procmon.exe that shows the accesses to MSCTF.DLL;
  • reading here and there, there are no easy workarounds (delete or move MSCTF; remove the CTFMON service; etc)
  • product version: 5.5.195786.1383; first installation
  • parameters are all default; no particular changes
  • no other antivirus (perhaps Microsoft std defender…); Windows firewall deactivated
  • I’ve reproduced the same problem on 2 pc;
  • PC1: ACER travelmate WinXP-SP3; PC2: HP mini WinXP-SP3; Office 2003 on both

hope it is enough

[attachment deleted by admin]

Should be a Microsoft Office text input issue. I want to narrow down the problem - please, help us if you got time! I got a Hungarian v2002 Office, Vista OS and haven’t got such problems: so maybe this stands for XP SP3 with Office v2003, only.

Please, provide more info:

• Have you tried to add the Office files to Exclusions at D+? (shell execution)
  • Does the problem exist if you are not using the MSO’s language bar?
  • Is there a difference in resource usage when you are using MS Word or the simple notepad?
  • What languages are you using? (OS/Office)

I’ve never had Office installed and had the issue.

I solved this by opening the Regional and Language Options, clicked the Languages tab, clicked the Details button, selected the Advanced tab, then put a checkmark next to Turn off advanced text services, then clicked Apply.

WOW IT WORKS!!!
I TRIED YOUR SOLUTION AND THE ACCESS TO MSCTF.DLL DISAPPEARED.
HeffeD, you are a genius… simple and elegant!
WELL DONE!
(hoping that comodo doesn’t restart accessing the thing like a sort of terminator…)

Nice catch, HeffeD :].

It seems like solving a problem of a painful cuticle by cutting off the hand.
I have the same problem with Comodo accessing msctf.dll - but I NEED language bar because I use 4 different languages.

Searching for another solution.

Thank you.