Resetting Sandbox did not Erase Processes Running in Sandbox - REPORT ATTACHED

1. The full product and its version:
Comodo Internet Security 8.0.0.4314 - Beta

2. Your Operating System (32 or 64 bit) and ServicePack revision. and if using a virtual machine, which one:
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

3. List all the configuration changes you did. Are you using Default configuration? If no, whats the difference?:
Used configuration as recommended by Chiron

4. Did you install over a previous version without uninstalling first, or import a previous configuration file?:
Clean install

5. Other Security, Sandboxing or Utility Software Installed:
None, but there were Windows Notifications asking “Do you wish to install Comodo…” as I was installing CIS 8 Beta.

6. Step by step description to reproduce the issue. Or if you cannot reproduce it, what you actually did before it happened, step by step:
1: Clean installed Comodo Internet Security 8 - Beta
2: Opened Virtual Kiosk and selected Firefox browser
3: Exited Virtual Kiosk to desktop
4: Selected Reset Sandbox under Sandbox tasks

7. What actually happened when you carried out these steps:
Application/processes running in sandbox ended, but restarted within a few minutes. Opened CIS Task Manager and KillSwitch to end processes (DWM.exe plus 4 running instances of svchost.exe). However, before I could kill processes the diagnostic/repair tool automatically launched - and luckily - generated the attached report.

NOTE: The dwm.exe run was steady, but the (4) svchost.exe were “switching on-off”/unstable.

8. What you expected to see or happen when you carried out these steps, and why (if not obvious):
Applications/processes to cease upon resetting sandbox and not to restart in sandbox

9. Any other information:
Diagnostic report attached as

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thank you for reporting this. Please also export your config file and attach it to your first post.

Also, I would like to know whether the processes which showed up again were exactly the same as those which appear when Firefox is running. Can you confirm this?

Thanks.

Unfortunately, CIS 8 Beta was so unstable on my system that I reverted to a restore-point and re-installed version 7.

Consequently, I do not have the config file.

The number of processes was the same, although I can’t be absolutely certain that they were the same processes…

Did this problem with resetting the sandbox happen multiple times, or did you only observe it this once?
Also, please describe the other problems which you experienced with V8.

Thanks.

The sandbox reset “malfunction” was reproducible on my system; it occurred on two clean installs of CIS 8 Beta.

When I selected the “Applications Running in the Sandbox” button on the widget, the CIS Task Manager launched.
The running processes were:

dwm.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe

The svchost.exes were switching on/off (would be present, then not the next).

I selected “More” to open KillSwitch, but the Diagnostic Tool launched and I let it run and saved the report.

*** NOTE: A system restart did not reset the sandbox; the processes re-launched in the sandbox.

If possible please do reinstall V8 to test this.

Then, after it’s reinstalled, please start up Firefox in the Virtual Desktop. Then use KillSwitch to create a process list at that time.
After that reset the sandbox and wait until the processes start again. Then make a process list after these processes start.
In addition, please create and export the config file.

At least this much information will be needed in order for the devs to narrow down what may be causing this.

Thanks.

I am running CIS 7 and at this very moment the same issue is replicated:

When I select Reset Sandbox under Sandbox Tasks the application continues to run.

I am gathering screenshots, a report and any other info…

More to follow in a day or so

Thank you.

As you have created this in the main bug reporting board (non-Beta) with all necessary information, I will close this report and concentrate on the other. I’ll take care of it in the tracker to make sure the devs know that it’s for both versions.

Thanks.

I did another clean install of CIS 8.0.0.4314 Beta.

It’s been real… I have days, and days, tied up in fixing one thing or another…

I have the pre- sandbox reset KillSwitch dump files. Even compressed using 7Z Ultra they’re 262 MB in size! I need a way to get them to a Moderator.

This is what I experienced this time around:

1. In one instance of Reset Sandbox under Sandbox Tasks, CIS 8 returned the message:

“An Error occurred while resetting the sandbox please try again”

a. This time, I could not replicate the prior two issues, with both CIS 7 and 8, whereby resetting the sandbox did not erase
    the sandbox. Nor the issue of processes auto-re-starting after I reset the sandbox (the processes were ended, the CIS task
    manager showed no processes running in the sandbox, but then processes auto-restarted inside the sandbox).

The items below were repeatable:

1. Extremely slow, lumbering system boot
    a. e.g. cursor would very slowly creep at Windows 8.1 Start Menu instead of moving smoothly in typical manner
    b. then, after about 1 to 2 minutes, system returned to normal function

2. Browsers - IE11 and FF32.2.0est - would take from a few minutes to more than 10 minutes to
    a. load pages/images,
    b. load scripts, or
    c. just freeze/hang, but without any browser crashes
    i. could closed browser by selecting End Task via Task Manager, but the system was very slow to respond

3. AMD Catalyst Control Center icon in Task Bar Tray disappeared

4. AMD Catalyst Control Center, Hydravision Desktop Manager, and HydrGrid were deleted out of the Start Up Task Scheduler
    a. when I put them back into Startup it took sometimes more than 10 minutes after system boot to start

5. Alerts sounds, but either
    a. no alert box, or
    b. if it did appear, alert box frame was present, but contents completely blacked-out

6. Right-click drop-down menus did not render correctly
    a. would not appear, or
    b. outline of frame was visible, but no content would appear
    1. however, second-level context menus would appear when hovering mouse over empty drop-down menu box (e.g. Add to
    Trusted Files)

POTENTIAL CAUSES

1. Windows 8.1 has a lot going on at start up with its Metro UI and Apps. Add AV software and whatever else and it does put an initial
    strain on system resources (at least on my system)
    a. although I’m not seeing it merely as sheer CPU load, but rather as a combination of
    i. network/heavy initial (I/O) strain and/or
    ii. process scheduling

2. CIS 8.0.0.4314 Beta and/or Windows 8.1 may be incompatible with the latest combined AMD APU-GPU (14.9) driver packages. (I
    am still investigating this, but so far it appears that a driver roll-back may be warranted for optimal system operation and CIS 7/8
    compatability. When I make a definitive determination I will post all details here on the forum).

3. Most, if not all the problems I have experienced with - especially CIS 7 - only began to occur AFTER I restored Windows 8.1. It may
    be only a coincidence, but I think it’s worth noting.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thank you. However, please post this information in your other bug report here:

We will work from that bug report, and leave this one in Resolved.

Also, to upload large files you can use a service such as this one:
http://www.myupload.dk/

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

OK…thanks

Will be able to get to it within next 4 days…