Remove PrivDog: To uninstall the adware

No, it was about the custom installation button on the bottom left in that window. A side note.

If privdog wasnt adware, it wouldnt display ads. Not to speak about the fact that the shown ads are probably even not the ones initially present on that site.

OK, well in that case we are way !ot! with no relevance to PrivDog.

If privdog wasnt adware, it wouldnt display ads. Not to speak about the fact that the shown ads are probably even not the ones initially present on that site.
PD doesn't display advertisements just from starting the program as with most Adware type programs. PD doesn't have ads integrated or bundled into the program as with most Adware type programs. PD is not displaying ads, the visited site is delivering ads distributed by AdtrustMedia to your web browser when PD is active with its default settings.

Without an adblock of some kind our web browsers will display ads when visiting numerous sites, so does that make our web browsers Adware? No.
Without PrivDog or an adblock program, your browser can display ads from any ad distributing agency.
Is PD adware? IMHO no.

Any mention of ads and some people instantly think of Adware and then comes along the thought that they must be bad.
Adware has falsely been accused of being synonymous with Spyware/Malware and this stigma seems to have stuck.

Kind regards.

Just reading that sentence makes me wonder if you had a read of PrivDogs objectives … before you installed it ?

Then you would know what PrivDog does beforehand

Have a read of the 3 stickies starting with :
https://forums.comodo.com/news-announcements-feedback-privdog/an-overview-to-privdog-view1-t96008.0.html

PrivDog has following features: 1. It blocks all 3rd party tracking related calls
  1. It blocks all social widgets which are not necessary and simply end up in slow page loading and you getting tracked without any apparent benefits.

2. It blocks all 3rd party analytics related calls.

4. It ensures that 3rd party ads on a given page are blocked and trusted ads are served from a system where ads are thoroughly validated and are malware free before they are delivered to end users. Validating ads for security and compliance ensures that malvertising can be stopped; it also ensures that exploits do not become vehicle for malvertising.

With PrivDog, Internet gets a win-win solution, where publisher, advertiser and users all are happy and eco-system is maintained, which otherwise can be destroyed due to use of AdBlocker.

Its like Ghostery, but does a lot more than Ghostery, and the difference is it lets clean advertisements through

If you want to block ads completely use a very severe hosts file. ( I was going to say use adblock but I think the creator now allows ads from companies that pay him to let them through :slight_smile: )

The best objective of PrivDog is stopping Malware which come via ads, because they get cleaned / replaced by adtrustmedia ads

To be fair that is understandable.

For a long time ads have been associated with malware because quite often malware can use the same tricks advertisers use to slip under peoples radars and target users. Or just take advantage of piggy backing an insecure advertising method to deliver a payload which the advertisers are completely unaware of being exploited.
Advertisers and market research just regard people as cattle to be farmed digitally, anything goes in their dog-eat-dog world.

If that was not the case … We would not need PrivDog defending against malvertisements.

Hi w33d3r,
You have all good valid points, thank you. :-TU
All I was trying to say is not to think of advertising in a stereotypical way that it is all bad in a security sense.
Yes some advertising can potentially carry risks, but some advertising can also be beneficial to all parties.
PrivDog does help lower the risks involved with 3rd party advertising.

Thank you.

As usually, it might be a good thing for a specific person with a specific understanding in a specific situation.

But i really wonder why a trusted old school computer magazine calls it “annoying adware”, and gives tips to remove it.

Then you’re asking in the wrong place. I suggest you ask them. Our answers are in that respect nothing but speculation or conjecture.

I suspect because they don’t understand it.

Melih, is PrivDog like Ghostery and AdBlock combined? I really should give PrivDog a try. :-La

Yes…plus more features…

Those people saying they don’t get any ads - first I don’t really believe you but second you must be using a strong ad blocker tool by doing this you are in the long term jeopardising “free internet content”- services like facebook, youtube even google search depend on serving advertisements for their main source of income. I think what priv dog attempts to do is provide safer advertising rather than trying to block it altogether (which is in nobody’s interest really)

I agree with some others that I would be happier with a product owned by Comodo giving them the freedom to monitor which advertising company they partner with - Trusted Ads may be fine today but if they changed tack then owning priv dog means that you could quickly partner with someone else which would keep Trusted Ads on their toes.

https://forums.comodo.com/news-announcements-feedback-privdog/an-overview-to-privdog-view2-t96009.0.html;msg691698#msg691698

Melih = Comodo = Owns AdTrustMedia LLC

He started AdTrustMedia to support PrivDog needs.

I get blind by blinking things and flash advertising costs me actually energy. And how many things have to be burnt to generate the energy to display unwanted things all around the internet…

“One day i forgot to enable my script blocker. And an advertising informed me that i won a car… A CAR ZOMG!!!
If i had enabled my advertising blocking, i had saved them from giving me A CAR!!!”
:smiley:

PrivDog does let through some ads that AdBlock does not. Even when I enable PrivDog to block all ads. Hopefully this will be fixed in the future.

The majority of ads I saw when I only had PrivDog enabled and set to block all was ads hosted on the actual site you are visiting, for example DN.se (Swedish newspaper) would show ads that are hosted on DN.se but are actually ads for third parties, however as I understand it this is intended behavior of PrivDog.

However now I have both PrivDog and AdBlock Plus enabled at the same time so I no longer see such ads.

I don’t think I will say something new, but in first place there is main antinomy: privdog is not antiadware, it’s only replacing some adware with “trusted” (read payed) another adware. I understand that everybody needs money, but this way seems to me very controversary :)) It’s like calling thieves alternative owners.
I think it’s crossing some unwritten rules like “pirates don’t hijack another pirates”. It is ethical pickle exactly like the one with german cannibal :I'm in an Ethical Pickle! - IT Crowd - YouTube

PrivDog is not a simple adblocker (Even though it can be set to block ads) and was never designed to be one, it is designed to enhance privacy which is exactly what it does.
Would have been much easier to build an adblocker without caring for Publishers

Kind regards.

I have not installed PrivDog and do not want to, but after the last update a few weeks ago, I now get several popups a day asking for my machine’s permission to install PrivDog. I always click NO, but the popups continue. I’m concerned I may make a mistake one day and unintentionally install PrivDog. I have a 64bit Windows 7 machine. How do I stop the install popups? NOTE: I did notice that PrivDog apparently installed somehow on my Firefox browser (I use Chrome for the most part and have not found it on Chrome) and removed the Privdog extension from Firefox Add-ons. What can I do aside from uninstalling Comodo? Thank you.

Forgot to mention…This is the Free Firewall product v 7.0.317799.4142

You can try looking for Privdog in the Programs and Features part of the Control Panel, you should be able to uninstall it from there, assuming that it was installed in the first place which it seems like due to the extension being in FireFox.

Thank you, Sanya IV…Privdog is listed in Programs and Features, which is surprising given the permission to install popups I keep getting. When I attempt the uninstall, it asks me to choose the plug-in I wish to uninstall…Chrome, Firefox or IE. These aren’t plugins. What does this mean? I don’t want to select a browser for fear it will be affected if not uninstalled. I’m beginning to think this means which browser has the Privdog plugin. As I said, I found Privdog listed as a Firefox extension which you can remove with a simple click on Remove. Firefox keeps it simple. It’s not listed as a Chrome plugin or extenstion. It is, however, in IE under Tools>Manage Add-ons. The only option is to Enable/Disable. The Remove button is greyed out. IE is not as simple nor easy as Firefox. Apparently I am getting the permission to “Make changes to my computer” popup, which I now think means to Enable Privdog and not to install it. It was already stealth installed with the latest Comodo Firewall update. If I run the Privdog uninstaller from Programs and Features and check Internet Explorer, will it remove Privdog (and AdTrust Media) for IE and otherwise leave IE unchanged?

I’m not entirely sure what you are asking now… During uninstallation it will ask you for which browsers you want to uninstall PrivDog, checking for example IE will uninstall PrivDog for IE but will otherwise leave IE unchanged (Is this what you are wondering?)

If you want to completely remove PrivDog then I’d suggest you uninstall it for all browsers (select all browsers during uninstall) and then reboot, after that go to C:\Program Files\ and look for a folder called “AdTrustMedia” or similar and if there is such a folder then delete it, do the same for C:\Program Files (x86)\ if on a 64 bit Windows.

Hope that helps.