Registry-Search Function Comparison

COMODO System Cleaner vs RegSeeker vs SteelWerx Registry Search

I came across this very powerful “registry search” tool - SteelWerx Registry Search. Here is a comparison between the registry-search function between these three programs:

“yahoo” is the search sting, I enter into for CSC and Registry Search. Results -

SteelWerx Registry Search: It opened a text file with all the results it found for the string - yahoo. You cannot navigate through, or delete the found entries, since the results are opened outside the program - in a text file.
I have attached the text file at the bottom. In total, it found 202 entries.

CSC: Found 37 entries

RegSeeker: Found 214 entries.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Added two more programs - RegCrawler and JV16 PowerTools

Same keyword - yahoo. RegCrawler found 140 entries. JV16 found 328 entries!

The information provided for each entry by JV16, makes it easier to identify the entries.

The interesting thing I noticed is, those that found the highest entries - JV16 and RegSeeker - were the slowest to search, whereas CSC - the fastest to search - found the least.

As all applications’ results were inferior to JV 16’s, we can come to the conclusion - as a fact - that all programs expect for JV 16 don’t find all the entries. On the other hand, JV 16, though found the highest, does not - for certain - prove that it finds all.

If JV16 does find all the entries, then CSC must be able to equal that, since that is as good as it can get, and since it is possible. If JV16 doesn’t find everything, then CSC must get as close to finding everything as possible.

I forget to mention, I have Yahoo Messenger installed. The search is for scanning out entries related to Yahoo Messenger

I have used Registry FirstAid for years now and believe it to be the gold standard of registry cleaners/defragmenters. Yahoo Messenger is a program that I also have installed. Attached is a screenshot of the 424 ‘Yahoo’ entries it found using its search function. The search results are displayed from within the program, so if you had uninstalled a program and wanted to deleted any registry entries that still remained from that program, you could do so. These Yahoo entries are unchecked by default and the recommended action is to “Leave the entry without change”. You could take an action other than the recommended one by expanding the drop-down list by clicking on the recommended action and choosing another action, such as ‘Delete the entry’ or ‘Cut substring Yahoo’, but this would be foolish for an installed program. It is always best to only take the default action recommended by the Registry FirstAid program.

[attachment deleted by admin]

That makes Registry First Aid - the system optimization utility with the best “registry search” function. But results may vary from system to system, since the number of registry entries stored by a program depends upon many factors.

On my system, searching for “yahoo” in Registry First Aid, it found 140 entries. Not as through or accurate as the best cleaners. You should probably test other applications before you reach onto a final opinion.

The main thing is that CSC has a lot of catching up to do.

By Jouni Flemming and Veera Peltonen, both working for Macecraft Software, the author of jv16 PowerTools.

Today, after I uninstalled CIS 3.5 (to upgrade to 3.9), I ran a registry scan with CSC and found out that it, again, missed the “LEGACY*” sub-key. Neither was the “uninstaller” batch file successful in removing all the entries. I hope, it is something that will be improved upon.

First I uninstalled CIS with Revo, then rebooted the PC and ran the CIS uninstaller batch-file. Rebooted again and ran CRC with the “filter entry” search option ticked - looking for keywords: cis, cfp and comodo. Lastly, I ran a scan with RegSeeker; it found quite a few entries that all three programs missed.

From Full Removal of Comodo Firewall Pro 3 with SafeSurf Toolbar (If Regular Uninstall Method Fails)

Note: It may not be possible to remove these “LEGACY” keys. If you cannot delete them, leave them in the registry. However, I have subsequently found that you MAY be able to remove these keys in Safe Mode by using a third-party registry tool. To permanently remove them may also require modifying the Permissions for each key. See: https://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v3/comprehensive_instructions_for_completely_removing_comodo_firewall_pro_info-t17220.0.html;msg119226#msg119226