Recommended Apps

Jeroen, the developer of JDK seems to have a different view on that. You might want to discuss it with him there.
http://www.kessels.com/forum/index.php?topic=1417.msg8506;topicseen#new

Al

Jeremy, thanks for the link. :slight_smile: Nope I haven’t tried that specific one.

I think that comparison in the link is a bit selective; for eg, they neglect to mention that the smartdefrag does not defrag system files (page file, MFT) which Diskeeper easily does, and that it lacks the volume shadow copy compatible defrag mode that Diskeeper has (extremely useful in Vista). They also don’t state whether it can defrag multiple drives in the background simultaneously, defrag in low space conditions, run with negligible resources etc, all of which Diskeeper does. For me DK was the best choice because it had features I wanted. But it’s good to know that there are lots of choices for everyone 8)

Yeah, I guess everyone had their favorite. I liked Jk, but Japo said it wasn’t that good. Now I that I see what genome asked in Jk’s forum, I’m not sure what to think. :-\

Maybe I’ll ask for him to explain it to me, if I remember this weekend. Anyway I used JkDefrag for a very long time, and what I know is that I ended up with crippling high free space fragmentation; which Windows’ defragger (Diskeeper) fixed easily. So I can bear witness that the default optimization method isn’t enough. It does not consolidate files together, it just moves small files into bigger free space fragments; thus not decreasing the number of free space fragments, but its size–which will by the way increase the number of fragments a newly created file of given size will need to be broken into.

Perhaps the “-a 5” option, which is not default, would make a better work at consolidating. But as JkDefrag’s own webpage says, its optimization strategies are separate from defragmentation, are performed afterwards, and actually cause fragmentation. JkDefrag doesn’t have a global algorithm that defrags both files and free space, but separate ones. Windows’s defragger manages both to defragment every file completely, and to consolidate space.

You shouldn’t believe all I say. ;D

Now that is reassuring. 88)

Just FYI, I did not post that in the jkd forum :slight_smile:
Must have been another member.

Oh, I think you are both in this forum, so I keep getting you confused. :-\

For the ones that really want a good defragmenter

http://www.disktrix.com/downloads/UltimateDefragFREEPublicDomainEditionSetup.exe

It’s the free edition of UltimateDefrag, it’s an older version but has no limitations :slight_smile:

Xan

Listen to MARTY r…HE’S ALL OVER IT. Oh sorry about the caps thing. I passed out on the keyboard from a serious, lack of alcohol. Been using Ccleaner for years. Revo I just found but it is a world class app. that gets all the ■■■■ associated with a program And it is fast.

@eXPerience: UltimateDefrag is very powerful. However I noticed rather a slowdown than a speedup when using the default “don’t think about it” option. I guess when tweaking the settings it would do a good job.

My favourite is Raxco PerfectDisk. On a magazine CD there was the full version 8 included. However there are not very big changes to the most recent version so v8 will do fine.

Well, ultimatedefrag is mostly for gamers I guess.

If i can do a sujestion :
go to settings → high performance click custom → select the windows folder and then click the arrow to the left.
also see that you use strict placement and not fast placement.

select consolidate defrag options : check ‘respect high performance’ and ‘respect archive’. Then use this defrag option.

This should really speed up your comp :wink:

Xan

The topic was on here November 09, 2008, 01:46:18 PM.

People is replying now.

;D

Wondered if anything new has occorred in the Defragmentation Arena ?

I use several programs and one that I do not see mentioned very much here is Defraggler by the authors of Ccleaner. It also defrags Free Space and Individual files.

I usually do a multi step defrag, after cleaning and rebooting,
1st) Run Defraggler defrag drive then defrag free space. maybe a few times defragged individual files.
2nd) Run JkDefrag in Cmd mode
3rd I will run AusLogic Defrag if needed as a temporary fast cleanup before I start the process over again every 2 to 3 months

For good measure “contig” might be used .

Only have come across 3 different registry defrag programs
AusLogics Registry Defrag
NTREGOPT
and another utility for Sysinternals PageDefrag

And other registry defrag recommendations?

UncleDoug

I’ve used jk for a long time now. it also includes pagedefrag and if you take some time to browse their forums you will find a lot of interesting scripts that make jk even better…

CIS Pro of course!