Question about IDefense (I'm confused)

During the installation of CPF v3, I chose to use the option for Firewall only. I do not particularly like the Idefense and only want the protection of the firewall. At the CPF “Summary” screen, it says that Idefense is inactive, but yet there are over 750 pending files waiting for my review. Did I miss something? Or are these “pending” files a result of another feature of CPF? I don’t get it.

I really appreciate all the hard work that everyone has put into this software. However, I liked this firewall a helluva lot more when it was just a “Firewall”. That statement is true, in general, for every security product I own. Every vendor keeps adding more and more features to their products that are redundant or overlapping with other security products. In my case, I want a seperate antivirus, antispyware, and firewall - nothing more. It seems like it’s getting harder and harder to find programs that are simple and stick to the main theme of their protection. In the case of Comodo, I would prefer just the firewall without Idefense and malware scanner.

Am I the only one that feels this way? Thanks for any replies.

-Mike

Read the help file. It will make you understand things. Your better off with D+ active. It give your the protection of HIPS. Comodo 3 is more then a firewall. It can stop malware also if you have D+ active. You dont need a separate antispyware if you have a good AV. I use Avira Premium along with Comodo and it works great. I scan once a week with SAS and Spybot on demand.

Thanks for your reply. However, as I stated in my previous post, I want a firewall ONLY. If I want to put all of my eggs in one basket, then I would just shell out the money for a security suite. Currently, I’m running Kaspersky antivirus with CPF. For starters, just to get these two to operate side by side, I had to install kaspersky first. I am finding it difficult to find any kind of realtime antispyware protection that doesn’t bring my computer to a grinding halt. (With what I already have running.) I’ve tried spyware doctor, spysweeper, and counterspy- which btw seems to be a massive resource hog. And I have a 3.2 ghz system with 4 gigs of ram.

I guess my whole point is that it seems like it’s getting more and more difficult to find seperate applications that arent fighting each other over protection. And I’m afraid that, in the future, we’re all going to have to make a choice on a single all-in-one solution.

Suites are junk. KAV and Comodo don’t get along. Thats a known fact and its in KAV’s site along with many other security products. Spy Sweeper, Spyware Doctor and Counter Spy are all bloated junk and slow your pc down. SuperAntiSpyware Pro is very very light but no need for real time spyware protection. Head on over to Avira forums and they will tell you this. I am running Comodo with D+ and Avira on my desktop and laptop with no troubles at all. I use SuperAntiSpyware free and Spybot once a week only on demand. Keep in mind now a days you need a HIPS program to monitor any unwanted changes. An av,as and firewall alone cannot do this. But a Firewall with HIPS and an AV with virus and spyware protection keeps you very safe. I also use Firefox with No Script.

Hi guys,
IMHO you’re both right; but I’ll begin with Mike’s questions. I haven’t really tested this, so I apologize if I’m wrong.
As far as I saw, both FW and D+ are installed, no matter what you choose. The difference is made by the config you select (see pic). So, you can choose “Network security” and D+ won’t bother you so much.
750 files – just select all and click remove – then change to “train with safe mode” in D+ settings. You won’t see “pending files” any more.

You’re not the only one – but Vettetech has a point here – you’re much more safer with D+ HIPS.
I particularly don’t like the scan feature, running at installation. It gives me a false positive – that I’ve submitted, btw.- and has the only option to delete, not quarantine. But that feature is helpful for most of the new users.
Greatest treat to IT systems is the user. You might want to check another topic, hot these days:
https://forums.comodo.com/feedbackcommentsannouncementsnews/if_you_have_v3_why_do_you_need_an_av-t18530.0.html
ATM I’m running a trial version of Kaspersky (best ratio resources/protection for me), SpyBot S&D and HiJackThis. All on-demand.
If you’re not the only one using that computer, you need a real-time virus scanner. But if you are, you can scan files landed on your drives before running them. I had no virus in … cannot remember… had some adware about 5-6 years ago.

My point is (and Vettetech is right again): “Suites are junk” - “Firefox with No Script” is a must – give CFP with D+ a try for a month or so, not just 3 days. Overlapping various security software, especially from different sources, will lead sooner or later to conflicts.
But I’m with you when you say CFP shouldn’t do also “French fries” (:TNG)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Good point gaby. I don’t run the scan upon install cause I know my system is clean. Pending files can be good if your wondering whats going on with your pc and trying to track down malware and what its doing. For the most part just simply purge and remove the left overs.