Protected / Blocked files can't get infected?

I have added some folder in the My Blocked Files section, but when I unlocked the folder, my AV started giving messages about the Sality virus. Now from what I know, protecting a file will allow access to it but won’t allow any changes to it, while blocking will block all access to it as well. So do both of these also block malware from infecting the files? Because in My Protected Files, Executables are protected, and yet this Sality thing was able to get in. And it seems to turn up in different places, places which I had scanned earlier with my AV.

Thanks.

May be it was infected before you locked the files? That could be the case if a new variant of Sality is wandering around that was not detected at the time you locked the files. In what configuration is your CIS running? How is your D+ set?

Its possible it was infected before. Bitdefender keeps giving warnings of different types of Sality virus every time (the names it gives are different).

As for the configuration, I haven’t exactly configured D+, its running exactly as it would after installation.

What about the protected / blocked files part - do they stop malware, and is any of the two better than the other?

Blocked files can’t be modified or accessed. Protected files can only be access or modified by certain programs (you’d probably get an alert if a new program was trying to access a protected file).

:frowning: ??? Hi I may have a related problem you the ones mentioned above, I keep getting an annoying folder on my desktop every 10 minutes after deleting it. I cannot get rid of the folder. I have tried a lot of things already such as manually deleting it in the cmd shell, going in safe mode and changing the ownership, then deleting it, and finally using the famous EMCO MoveOnBoot program. It keeps coming back. The file has a little icon bottom left with two heads on it saying it is file shared. i got this problem when my anti-virus alarm went off after accidentally downloading an infected file from eMule downloading site. How do i turn off File sharing in Windows Vista x32??

Please someone help me.

Tony

[at]Tony. Please don’t cross post.

As requested in another topic:
Try What to do if you’re infected - eXPerience Rev.3, let us know if that solved it and provide us the requested A- Squared and Hijack This logs. Please start your own topic in Virus/Malware Removal Assistance because your problem is most likely malware related.

I moved your File Sharing Folder Issue topic to the Virus/Malware Removal Assistance board as it seems a malware related issue.