Project KNOS ( Kevin & Nancy's OS ): Side Issue

Yeah, we know how COMODO does things 88)
[i]

edit: Subject changed by Mod for consistency, kail.[/i]

Wish 3xist had bothered to tell me I’d been fired, but then you know how COMODO does things. Started writing a book about it. Now here is my question why would 3xist know anyway as all he is, is a mod or is there something I don’t know. :o

I have no idea what Kevin is going on about… ? Btw, No, I’m not affiliated with Comodo (Not a employee). Anyway, I replied to that statement made! That’s a bit shocking of that statement he made.

He seems to have added just that last little bit…

glad to hear from ya buddy! Wish 3xist had bothered to tell me I'd been fired, but then you know how COMODO does things. Started writing a book about it.

My reply…

I'm sorry, I am really confused by this statement.

A) I never knew you even left Comodo! Nor got sacked.
B) “Wish 3xist had bothered to tell me I’d been fired” - Can you please explain this a bit more? I have no affiliation with Comodo, Nor am I a Employer/Employee.

Unless I am misunderstanding something…

Cheers,
Josh

Cheers,
Josh

We acquired a company that was not making ends meet…
Kevin, according to his claims, was working day and night creating signatures for BOClean and even that wasn’t enough. Obviously they were not making money, hence were selling the company. We acquired the company and our guys took over sig creation for Boclean, Kevin was very grateful.

My thought for the acquisition was that: Kevin could come and help with our AV initiatives. Hence I acquired BOclean. Once we started the work, I was disappointed as Kevin really didn’t want to fight the malware anymore, understandable… he was burnt out imo…Kevin was working from his home and not from our offices. We tried to get him involved in different projects to no avail. Of course all during this time he was a fully paid staff member and I don’t think he was enjoying that level of income when we acquired his company and btw: we were paying “rent” so that he can work from his own house too! So believe me, we tried… I tried and failed…then Umesh tried and failed to get Kevin involved in projects. As a last resource we said, hey at least help us create some sigs…that didn’t go well either…Having tried all that, we had no alternative but reluctantly to let him go.

When he was told we were terminating his employment, he informed us that he had this new project he was working on. At that point, I just wished him well.

and I still do.

Things didn’t work out between Kevin and Comodo and these things happen. I am glad I was able to help Kevin for the period he was employed by Comodo as previously i know he was struggling financially. So at least I can say, I tried and I did actually help him by providing him employment and salary that he much needed.

Kevin is an intelligent guy and I wish him all the best, there is no animosity from my side at all and I wish him well.

Melih

Far from it. I do sincerely wish him all the best. I am glad I was able to help him for the period that I did.

Melih

Yes indeed, I was quite grateful to hear that you had planned on getting some additional people to handle the high volume of nasties which had become the norm at the time. I even happily informed our former customers that things would be getting better as a result of having more hands and resources available for BOClean. Sadly, within little over a month afterward, the currency of the signatures fell and the database quickly bloated out because the specific instructions as to how to do BOClean’s work was ignored. When I inquired as to why, I was dismissed with “this is how WE do things here.” Inside of that month, the size of the database nearly tripled with long “Kaspersky-style” namings of trojans, and that resulted in buffer overflows within BOClean itself, requiring a new version to be put out in short order whilst I ended up eating the blame for it. But I was still grateful, just harried. But from that point forward, any advice I offered was dismissed and ignored. I asked you to back me up on that and subsequent things with respect to BOClean. You did not, telling me that I was getting “whiny.” And so, I backed off on that for comity.

My thought for the acquisition was that: Kevin could come and help with our AV initiatives. Hence I acquired BOclean. Once we started the work, I was disappointed as Kevin really didn't want to fight the malware anymore, understandable.. he was burnt out imo....

And when I came on board, I was happy to become involved with the AV. However, what you interpret as “burnt out” was pessimism towards the same old approach, and I sat there with you and Egemen saying that “blacklisting is not going to work anymore” and that the only way to win would be “WHITElisting, graylisting and then blacklisting.” Egemen agreed with me. The two of us also sat there and told you that once a rootkit gets hold of a system, assuming that you can even find it, that the machine is toast and that some rootkits were completely undetectable. Egemen agreed with this as well. During this, you rambled on about burglar alarms, insurance and locks apparently oblivious to what we were telling you.

Having said my piece, I then wanted to get started with your AV as well as the integration of BOClean into your product as you’d desired. In order to do so, the first thing I required was either source code or at least a listing of library functions in the firewall so that BOClean’s kernel driver could be replaced with one that used the same kernel driver your firewall used. I asked Egemen numerous times for the minimum amount of that information so that I could get BOClean converted into a COMODO-branded version. No such luck. In all my time with COMODO, I never ONCE saw any source code other than the source code for the licensing/call home stuff because the code COMODO made wouldn’t work with BOClean and I had to rewrite it. THAT was the only source code I ever saw in two years there as the “branding” of BOClean was the only issue that appeared to have been any priority.

Once BOClean was stabilised again, after Egemen complained that BOClean’s existing database of nearly a megabyte in uncompressed size was “too big and inefficient,” I asked the guys to think about some methods of shrinking that size. The response was that they were too busy, and besides, they were falling behind on the updating of BOClean as it was. When I brought this to your attention, you told me to forget about that and work on the AV instead. No problem.

You told me that you had this great reverser who was building it from reversing NOD32 (IIRC, I don’t think you said it was kaspersky) named “Max” and he was doing all of the work. So, when I asked you and Egemen to put me in touch with him to get onto your project, BOTH of you told me that I couldn’t talk to or otherwise contact “Max” because he was crazy. I don’t know how things work out in the parallel universe, but how am I supposed to lead a project when I wasn’t permitted to contact the person doing it?

So back I went to working on how to shoehorn BOClean into the AV whereupon you showed me a really neat progiie that your “Robert” had written which was the “missing link” I’d never quite discovered in BOClean that would have allowed BOClean to be a file scanner. So I asked you and Umesh to hook me up with Robert so I could get ahold of his source code and find a way to make it work on Vista and later since you guys shot it down because it didn’t work immediately on Vista. That began yet another roundabout as Robert was too busy to discuss it and almost never available. You guys told me to wait. When I finally got to Robert to ask for it, I was told by him that it had been given to the guys in China and someone would get it for me. Never happened either.

Fact is, every single time I tried to get involved in any aspect of anything, I was told to leave the people involved alone, wasn’t given any contact information to get to them myself other than the lab guys, and when BOClean was integrated into the firewall by the Chinese guys who I was never introduced or even given contact info for, I get a phone call four hours after going to bed one night from Umesh telling me that they were releasing it and it was broken. Well … if only anyone had bothered to tell me or ask, that wouldn’t have happened!

So frustrated every step of the way by a company that doesn’t know what its other fingers are doing, much less the other hand? Yep … burnt out? Nope. I was ready to go every single day and on the exceptionally rare occasion where somebody (yourself included) needed something, it was delivered instantaneously and with a smile.

Kevin was working from his home and not from our offices. We tried to get him involved in different projects to no avail. Of course all during this time he was a fully paid staff member and I don't think he was enjoying that level of income when we acquired his company and btw: we were paying "rent" so that he can work from his own house too! So believe me, we tried.. I tried and failed...then Umesh tried and failed to get Kevin involved in projects. As a last resource we said, hey at least help us create some sigs...that didn't go well either....Having tried all that, we had no alternative but reluctantly to let him go When he was told we were terminating his employment, he informed us that he had this new project he was working on. At that point, I just wished him well.

and I still do.

Interesting tidbit on the KNOS thing. I had started that when it becamse clear that we could no longer do PSC anymore while waiting for COMODO to sign the papers. I envisioned it as our “next move” back in 2007 entirely separate from PSC. On the few occasions when I came down to New Jersey to see you, I brought along my laptop with the original version of KNOS on it to show to you, intending to offer it to COMODO since it was quite clear by my second visit that you had no intention of keeping me once you had gotten BOClean into your AV. But each time, you had me come down, ignored me and left me in your office twiddling my thumbs for nothing until it was time for the evening train home. It COULD have been yours!

I’ve seen zero interest in further employment, it appears as though my connection with COMODO has sullied my reputation from what I’ve heard from others. And so, KNOS “reloaded” was undertaken when I left COMODO during that time and finally filing for unemployment once it was apparent that I wasn’t going to see any additional work any time soon. Work on it has been stopped for now so as to not cause problems with unemployment. Still looking for work every day as New Jersey is paying me to do that instead of writing KNOS.

Things didn't work out between Kevin and Comodo and these things happen. I am glad I was able to help Kevin for the period he was employed by Comodo as previously i know he was struggling financially. So at least I can say, I tried and I did actually help him by providing him employment and salary that he much needed.

Kevin is an intelligent guy and I wish him all the best, there is no animosity from my side at all and I wish him well.

Melih

I have to say that I appreciate the paychecks, it was extremely frustrating to end up sitting around whilst COMODO did everything in their power to prevent me from doing much of anything useful. It’s sad how you people really seemed to delight in screwing Nancy over again and again too. There was at least one short period of time there where I was able to work with your guys in Romania for a couple of days getting your “CIMA” thing going. But once again, as soon as Umesh found out I was doing something actually useful and not sitting here bored to tears, he broke into a chat and ordered me away and scolded them for talking to me. Such was life at COMODO. Go sit in the corner. Made me crazy, it did. :frowning:

So can I assume that you’ll be sending me the pay I was shorted on and settle those dental bills that weren’t paid? You never did keep any of your verbal promises including solving my personal bankruptcy which was required to retain PSC’s assets until you got around to signing. But these matters were at least in writing. It was extremely kind of you to bring up the rent thing and all, that saves the need to go to a judge for a venue hearing should it come to that. The separation “treat” you offered of licensing me to compete with you by resurrecting a fatally damaged BOClean however was a nice slap in the face. So please forgive me for calling ■■■■■■■■.

Kevin

I wish you all the best.

Melih

I Highly doubt Kevin made that up.

I’m disappointed :-\

If it’s true? Me too

Whatever the issues are between Comodo and Kevin, IMHO, they are issues best resolved between both parties and certainly don’t need us as onlookers.

Just my opinion, but I don’t believe this is the right arena in which to sort things out.

Well I’d think the same thing… Melih said the posts were on topic though.

True, but as Melih said this BEFORE Kevin posted, Melih could only have been referring to the posts that existed at that time, which would not inlcude Kevins post.

Melih has subsequently replied, albeit in a minimalist manner.

Regardless of who is right and who is wrong, I still don’t think it’s suitable to discuss here.

Ewen :slight_smile:

As the mods have said before, They also lock or move potential threads that flames will appear…
Melih’s Post was the ripple and not relating to KNOS at all as the OP intended.

Anywaaaaayyy All the posts not relating to KNOS should go somewhere else… Rednose wanted this topic to be about KNOS.

Melih asked for it.

In my opinion Kevin had every right to react as he did !

Greetz, Red.

My point exactly, but here we are. :wink:

In light of legal comments made by certain parties this topic shall remain locked.
Xref.

edit: added Xref URL.
edit: Subject changed by Mod for consistency, kail.