Problem seeing attachments with Opera

Am unable to see attachments on the board with Opera 9.51. The link retrieves the index.php, not the picture, and I don’t see a thumbnail image. FF & IE seem OK. Any ideas?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:23:04 GMT
Server: Apache
Expires: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 14:23:04 GMT
Cache-Control: no-cache
Vary: Accept-Encoding
Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary
Last-Modified: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 13:43:53 GMT
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Connection: close
ETag: “9cbdc14b8ef86d3fa44e7dd9620976ef”
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=“AshesDance.jpg”
Content-Type: application/octet-stream
Content-Length: 74661

I guess that [b]Content-Type: application/octet-stream[/b] and [b]Content-Disposition[/b] could be related to ths issue.

The uploading seems to work fine, but when Opera 9.51 parses the get, it tries to show index,php as a text file and ignores everything after the ?

Tried going back to Opera 9.50, which didn’t seem to have a problem before, but that didn’t clear it up. Maybe something has changed in the board? Problem occurs for all the image attachments.

Either this or something form Opera 9.5X. Do you have a 9.27 at hand?

Same problem with 9.27 :frowning:

I guess we won’t see any fix soon :cry:

I found an old description of the issue

I guess Opera rely on content-type header to get an extension while IE and FF look at the filename=“AshesDance.jpg” part

related article Flirting with MIME Types

Tried another Opera (9.50) on another computer with Vista SP1 also, and that seemed to work OK. Now I am really scratching my head.

Cannot believe it, I read about a workaround and it actually worked :o .

I don’t know how this affect opera but if you find opera6.ini and remove the following sections after taking a backup of your ini file

[File Types Section Info]
[File Types]
[File Types Extension]

Actually solve this issue.
But I guess this will remove all mime handlers

I finally found the culprit:


This application/x-php mime type cause Opera to privilege the php extension.

Went over all the recent changes to my system. Discovered that the problem is somehow connected with the latest Avast! beta update 4.8.1227. Can turn the problem on and off by turning the On Access Protection on and off. Don’t know how all these things interconnect, but posted on the Avast! board to see what they have to say. Thanks; Ed.

Guess we got two differen cause.
I have no AV atm

Me either.

By the way sded; Avast! Home Edition 4.8.1227 is now officially released.


Avast! (Vlk) has verified this as a bug in the webshield, says they are working on how to fix. 4.8.1227 kills Opera attachment display on SMF bulletin boards Will move discussion to section on board issuesl

I missed the part about thumbnails. I noticed that reading the topic on avast.

On my setup the issue was only with saveas dialog file extension.

Thumbnails and binary data were not affected. All attachments worked when renamed to the proper extension.

Opera has other mime types that could possibly trigger this issue.

application/x-php cause this because the link was related to a php page but I guess also application/x-perl and other serverside script engine mimetypes could trigger this behaviour.

Thanks Armando. Like Vlk says, this is a “subtle bug”. :wink:

Fixed today in 4.8.1229. That’s what I call responsive to the users. :slight_smile: