PPPOE Connection

1. concerning scheduled tasks
    I checked those i have (SyncBack backup tasks).
    When creating a new scheduled task, the default credentials are (and should be) computer name/running account.
    The scheduled task doesn’t run without entering the password, and the appropriate password is the logon on.
    I am not sure of the situation if no logon password exists, it should then be better to create one and to make sure that both this account has the appropriate administrative privileges and that the firewall default settings don’t intercept the task.

2. concerning dialing drivers
    xp does not have by default raspppoe and pppoecfg executables, but only raspppoe.sys; it seems that the said executables have been installed by some proprietary software kit of your isp ( my personnal idea is that such a kit should never be used).
    RASPPPOE has an homonymous executable, but no cfg file.
    There maybe is in these conditions some kind of conflict between these different drivers, the only way to check being to search for windows installed softwares and running services (from windows and, better, autoruns, allowing to disable whatever service not shown by windows).

I can’t test myself, i have successfully run RASPPOE under 98/2K/XP for years, but i have now no DSL “modem” anymore but a DSL router.

It doesn’t works even if always dial my default connection is checked & my isp is set to default connection.

Thanxx

Naren

I tried a lot with all the possiblilities but the same error. You said that such a kit should never be used then how will my ISP provide me internet connection?

Thanxx
Naren

Perhaps there’s a problem with you installation, or connection, as I used to connect this way without problem, albeit several years ago. Perhaps you should buy a router…

What I meant was redial doesn’t works. Net works fine.

Thanxx
Naren

how will my ISP provide me internet connection?

These kits only preset the connection address, dns, sometimes vp/vc values…, but also generally install isp lousy softwares.

All of the parameters can be installed from scratch using windows internet wizard (by the way, raspppoe is for ethernet, if the modem is usb, a nasty idea, you also need its driver, available from the installation cd provided by the isp or from its website).
If your modem is usb, the good choice is adsl autoconnect, but you should always remind that usb connections are largely unstable as compared to ethernet, and might further depend of conflicts due to other usb devices or underpowered usb concentrators.

But how do I know if my ISP installed such software coz there is nothing in the Ad/Remove. Do this software doesn’t registers in Add/Remove.

I use External LAN Card coz the inbuilt is damaged. There is no Modem. The net is directly connected to the system i.e the net wire of my ISP directly plugs into the system, nothing inbetween the wire & the system.

Anyway after few days I am changing my system. I am going to fresh install WIN 7 with Upgrade CD on my Vista system ( I got the CD as free offer from HP as I was eligible for it). I will look into that my ISP dont install such kits & setup the connection with Windows.

I have seen on my Cousins laptop that when he connects to my connection wirelessly (sometimes I use router when he has to connect to net, dont always use router coz it doesn’t works fine i.e frequent page cannot be displayed things) in the right side of the laptop a window appears where available connection is shown & he can choose to automatically connect to the available network. When I will have my connection on Win 7, will my pppoe connection will also appear this way & I will be able to choose to connect automatically?

Thanxx
Naren

this software doesn't registers in Add/Remove.
It probably has specific executables and drivers; as i said, raspppoe and pppoecfg are not xp native. Check from the windows services and autoruns if they run something in the background.
The net is directly connected to the system i.e the net wire of my ISP directly plugs into the system, nothing inbetween the wire & the system.
Things are different between countries and providers, i am still not sure of how your connection works: if no hardware device, what "net wire", the standard phone wire, a specific one for cable connection?
router coz it doesn't works fine i.e frequent page cannot be displayed things
A router often is the best idea to get connected; are you sure it is defectuous, or what you describe is related to not properly setting NAT functions and/or integrated firewall?
will my pppoe connection will also appear this way & I will be able to choose to connect automatically?
I don't know anything about OS after xp, but the answer is most probably no: the feature you are speaking about is related to wireless connection, and is ensured by dedicated software either built in the OS, either proprietary to the wireless card or device. The wireless ability is tied to a wireless access point, itself due to the router (and integrated in most isp connection "boxes" actually working as routers set to work only with this isp).

In couple of days I will be running Win 7 so anyway will check out with 7. Thanxx for all the info & your precious time frds.

Regards
Naren