PPPOE Connection

Can I set my PPPOE connection to connect automatically when the system is started. I dont mean when you start internet explorer the window will appear & connect automatically. I mean the system starts & the net is connected automatically. I am on XP SP3. Is is possible?

Thanxx
Naren

Couple of ways I can think of:

1. Create a batch file and call it from the start-up folder. It would look something like:

rasdial [connection name] [user name] [password]

1. On the properties for your pppoe connection make sure you don’t have prompt for name and password selected, then create a shortcut to the connection in the start-up folder.

You might also be able to use task scheduler…

I dont know how to make a batch file. How to do this? My service provider name is BBPacespeedsurf, My Login ID is naren & Passoword is

Thanxx
Naren

The easiest way, if you’re not familiar with the command line, is to create a new text file in Notepad with a single line:

rasdial BBPacespeedsurf naren password

(replace password with the name you posted and edit your post to remove that detail)

Save the file as pppoe.bat (make sure you have show extensions for known file types disabled, otherwise you may have a file with a double extension) Place this file, or a shortcut to the file, in the start-up folder.

I did a thing & its working. Is this right?

I have my isp’s dialer on the desktop. I dragged it into the startup folder. And its working now. Is this the right way?

In the properties unchecked prompt for username & password & promp for phone number.

If the net gets disconnected for some reason & after some time its back it will autoconnect or I have to make changes & if so what changes should I make? There is an option for redialing if I check it & try by disconnecting the net it is not connecting again.

Redialing options are

Redial attempts - 3
Time between redial attempts - 1 sec
Idle time before hanging up - never

redial if line is dropped - this is checked

Thanxx
Naren

http://www.downsoft.com/windows/windows-internet/windows-connector/adsl-autoconnect-206f7-22614.html

Do you have shortcut to the dialer? Copy it to the Start Up folder in the Start Menu and it will start with Windows.

Thanxx replying. I already did this & its working. But how to set it to connect automatically if the net gets disconnected for some reason or service gets down & comes later? How to do this without using any other program i.e within PPPOE or Windows?

Thanxx
Naren

Even if you don’t want to use either a small dedicated software (ADSL autoconnect) and not even a very small dedicated driver (RASPPPOE), the RASPPPOE documentation reminds how to keep the connection alive, independently of the fact that RASPPPOE is used or not (of course, in the last event, the rasphone.exe scheduling step has to be replaced by the path to your connecting bat or cmd file).

Please refer to section 5.7:
http://www.raspppoe.com/99beta/README2K.HTM

The only turnabout is a multiple-user situation, where such a routine has to be written fo each user account.

When you click the pppoe shortcut (or original) select Options and then Redialling options. Configure as you wish.

Here is the Redialing options. How should I configure this?

Redialing options are

Redial attempts - 3
Time between redial attempts - 1 sec
Idle time before hanging up - never

Redial if line is dropped - this is checked

Are these settings fine.

Thanxx
Naren

Looking into the link you have provided.

By the way the dialer of my isp’s is created by typing raspppoe or pppoecfg in run & then a window open where I have to click query services & it displays my service provider & I can create dialer. Though raspppoe now doesn’t works but pppoecfg works. Previouly both methods use to work to create dialers. I dont know what happen. Just thought to mention this if this could be of some help to provide help.

Thanxx
Naren

They should be fine, although if you find making a connection difficult, you could increase the number of Redial attempts.

How can I check if the redial works or not? Coz I tried disconnecting the net & it didn’t redialled & connected again.

Thanxx
Naren

Is this the situation when you make a manually make the connection or when you run the connection from the shortcut?

No manually connecting & disconnecting also does not redials the connection.

Thanxx
Naren

Edit - If the line drops - does this mean redial will only work if there is a prob in the service providers line i.e line is down & there is no net & when the line is up again redial will take place or redial will keep trying till the line is up again.

And redial will not work when the line is active i.e no prob from service provider but the connection is manually disconnected.

I did what is mentioned in 5.7 but schedule task says could not start. During the process too when I clicked on finish it gave error schdule may not run coz you dont have permission & account cannot be setup. I have only 1 user account on the system as administrator & there is no other password except my logon password. I tried that password & also tried with blank space in password but the same error.

Thanxx
Naren

Redial should attempt to re-establish a connection as soon as the previous connection is dropped. Do you have any other pppoe connections, or some sort of ISP provided dialer software?

No I have only one dialer of isp, no other software. I also dont have anything related to isp under add/remove programs.

What are the settings for:

Control Panel/Internet Options/Connections/?

If it’s not set to ‘Always dial my default connection’ you should change it.

Failing that, take a look at Reconnect