Ports being listened to.

I have noticed some ports being listened to on programs I really have no desire to have access to the internet since I am not using their internet capabilities.

Is there any way to block a program from listening to ports?

When I ran it the first time I got a pop up from windows firewall asking me if i want to block the program from listening(and reminding me i forgot to turn it off.)

Is there a way to block this with comodo? I received no alert when it began listening. Is it even necessary to block since I have a hardware firewall with NAT?

(been really worried about keyloggers lately)

Thanks for any replies.

Hi shinymodo,

If you use Stealth ports wizard to block all incoming traffic then no one can connect to those “listening” ports.
Be careful though that if you uses shares and or other traffic that need incoming traffic to your pc you need to manually define firewall rules for it.

Can you give a screenshot of the ports that you are afraid of and the processes belonging to it?

I don’t really have a specific example of the ports/programs I am concerned about. This is just some paranoid brainstorming.

If no one can connect to the listened ports then that is ruled out.

I assume then for reasons above this is an unlikely way, at least for a keylogger, to connect to the outside.
What about other methods to connect to the outside world? What evens should make me concerned?

Could they attach themselves to programs that would normally be allowed to connect? Defense+ would say something about that right?

What about going through svchost.exe or system.exe… something that is allowed.

Basically the situation is I need to run some programs that require global hooks, so stopping them at that level is not possible. What I am trying to do is make sure no information does eventually get out if it is recorded.

Sorry for the probably overly concerned questions. I do appreciate the answers.

Thanks

Normally D+ should alert you for this yes.

What about going through svchost.exe or system.exe.. something that is allowed.
Also this would at least require memory interaction with these running apps to "control" them also caught by D+
Basically the situation is I need to run some programs that require global hooks, so stopping them at that level is not possible. What I am trying to do is make sure no information does eventually get out if it is recorded.

Sorry for the probably overly concerned questions. I do appreciate the answers.

Thanks

No problem, better be safe then sorry so to speak :wink: