Poll: Rule Creation (Source and Destination)

I find creating rules (inbound or outbound) confusing ??? using Source and Destination (having to switch them around depending on the direction). Maybe it’s me :-[ but I find Sunbelt’s why of doing things alot easier (i.e Local and Remote). Just wondered if anyone felt the same. Which do you prefer?

:slight_smile:

Edit: If other, please mention.

Local and remote. Creating a rule for IN/OUT should be straightforward (for home LAN one rule is enough, not necessary to create 2 rules). KISS

I love CFP but I think Sunbelt have got it spot on with their rule creation. CFP 3 will have the option of creating rules in detail (on the fly) but I hope “source and destination” gets replaced.

I like the way old Kerio 2.x handled rule creation: Whenever an intercept dialog popped up, there was a button “Create Rule” and a checkbox “Edit New Rule”. When you first checked the checkbox and then clicked the button, you could immediately edit the new rule to be added.

I’ll stick with source/destination.
They refer to specific tcp/ip packet header fields…

That’s a good point. Makes me think. But how do you build a two way rule (IN/OUT)? Not any-any.
The ruleset can get big.
Your thoughts?

A big ruleset is not a problem for me if the rules are evaluated that way by the SPI. I prefer to have two rules shown in network monitor instead of one that is broken down into two separate rules “under the hood” by the SPI. I would guess that in/out and any tell the SPI to skip a check (i hope so even after I looked at the ruleset .reg file).It is an hassle to insert the rules and it would be great a button to dulicate existing ones or a hybrid entry like Source or Destination for ports and IPs (if the SPI pars.er handles them in a different way).

I never added these to the whishlist though…
Someone could do that for me…

PS: Nice dumb vulgarity check. But it is easily fooled.
I mean it is pointless to censor a substring, this way the reader is forced to guess the censored word to ***es the meaning of a sentence ;D
By the way… why do the board engine censor only british english?

ARS.E(t.mirabilia).

Didn’t you listen to Melih’s interview yet? He’s Turkish British. :slight_smile:

Back on topic, I picked Other even though it was wrong because I can handle either one; I can adapt. If it’s due to not wanting to change then I really should’ve voted source & dest.

I missed that thread, thanks. :slight_smile:

BTW I know we can live without it… I’m the only one to complain (:SAD) but what about that forum enhancement suggestion section? I really miss some features like an updated smiley set (32px) and a BBcode editor when re-editing posts… 8) (this is too small,really)

As long as functionality is not lost the easy way to input rules should be preferred but I would not trade user-friendlyness with the geekability ;D … I wish for a rule input which make possible to guess what is going on “under the hood”.

gibran, this isn’t an official thread but it seems to be one of two (public) threads about the forum layout: https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,7347.0.html (–> but please don’t post suggestions on this one because it’s reserved for reporting issues).

The most appropriate board for suggestions is General / Off-Topic.

I’m not sure now. I’d like more feedback too from others. Like Paul from Russia,he knew a lot… He stopped posting or what?
Or a developer, with a simple explanation why he feels source and destination is more appropriate.

I agree, almost all major PFW do it this way. Except Comodo. That is why I don’t use it, through I recommend it to noobs.

I think you will like CFP 3 when it’s released :). This is a feature that I miss from SKPF 4 but soon to be added to CFP 3.

Having to worry which end (in or out) for destination will always be more confusing than just local and remote. I just don’t like source and destination (:AGY).

It’s not confusing if the rule is one way only. The problem arises from more complicated rules (more rules actually).

… or an In/Out rule ???. I haven’t a problem about the amount of rules, it’s how the rule is created.

That’s actually what i’m refering to. You’ll end up creating more rules, because you avoid IN/OUT most of the time (rules for home LAN the obvious example).

Ok, no further arguments, i’d like LOCAL and REMOTE and an expresso please!