PC Flank

I note that there are some PC Flank entries on Stealth testing. A search did not turn up that PC Flank Port Scanner testing shows that Ports 135, 137, 138, 139, and 27374 are “Closed” rather than “Stealthed”

This supposedly means that: “your computer is visible to others on the Internet that can be potentially dangerous”

Related to this is that the Trojan test shows vulnerability to the “SubSeven” Trojan accessible through port 27374

Pc flank is a bad site. They are very biased, and only favor outpost. I think it is run by agnitum to sell their product. Because if you go into outpost and hit test my security it brings you to pc flank. Trust GRC’s Shields up!

Well, I can agree with that. They’ve a tool named WhoEasy, which is a plugin for Outpost Firewall. They also write on that webpage that “We have developed this essential utility as a plug-in for one of the most promising firewalls todayЧAgnitum Outpost Firewall” and at the bottom they have a ad for Outpost.
Also, if you “fail” it says:

"Warning!
The test found visible port(s) on your system: 137, 138, 139

Recommendation:
Install personal firewall software. PC Flank recommends Outpost Firewall Pro."

How come that port 137, 138 and 139 are open when the others are closed? Usually, if using a firewall, the only ones that are open is the port that you use for incoming connections for your P2P-software (if it’s running). 137 and 139 are used for NetBIOS, which is disabled on my system.

Cheers,
Ragwing

137, 138 and 139 are used by the LAN redirector as well.

Yes, but the thing is that PC Flank shows them as open while GRC shows them as stealthed. Oh also, even more funny. With CFP 3 enabled port 135 is also open (the other one was with router only).

Cheers,
Ragwing

Obviously a grain of salt is an add-on for PCFlank. :wink:

Sorry, but I think this PCFlank bashing is somewhat unjustified. Of course, it’s been made clear by them that they do advertize Outpost. Every chicken’s got it’s fave corn. But their site has always shown a perfect stealth result for me, even on single port testing (Tried it 5 minutes ago). So, something seems to be wrong with your configuration, and you should find out what it is.

PS: I am not using Outpost. So I can’t agree here.

Cheers from the old man down there.

Hey MorphOS,

My reasons for thinking poorly of the PC Flank tests are not centred around them supporting Outpost. Of course, they have the right to support whoever they want, forge whatever commercial alliances they need for their business. I really don’t have a problem with it.

To see why I treat them with reserve, try the following;

Run their flanktest with your LAN cable removed (Yes, removed - physically yanked out, so you are cut off from the internet!!).

Why does their test tell me it leaked to the internet? And how? :wink:

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Well, panic, maybe some secret service secretly installed some kind of mini WLAN chip on your comp?

To
LOL
or
not
to
ROFL.

Shake’s peer?

:■■■■

come shake the ■■■■

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA lol. See they are just there to sell a product.