OpenDNS alike system

First of all, sorry if this as being already asked.

I would like Comodo, as an internet security leader, developing an DNS system.

Look at sites like opendns, dnsadvantage, and much more, but they have a huge problem, when trying to open google it redirects you to google.opendns.com, that is some of all the disadvantages it has using this type of sites, well then, it would be great if you guys develop this, but being really secure.

Sorry for my ugly english, Im from Argentina and we talk spanish here ;D if someone understands what I was trying to suggest and has more ideas about this please write it so everybody can understand it.

we think Secure DNS infrastructure is an important part of your security.

Melih

so? whats the meaning of that? that is a good idea, its already implemented, or is impossible to make it?

its a good idea

its possible…

Melih

ohhh ok great!! (V) if you want I could help the team in something, for ex making spanish language for some of the programs, I would be glad.

Me neither. I don’t see why need another DNS alternative. OpenDNS works fine here, I set it in my router so I don’t use my ISP’s default which is too slow for me.

Privacy issues and covert redirection

While the OpenDNS name resolution service is free, people have complained about how the service handles failed requests. If a domain cannot be found, the service redirects you to a search page with search results and advertising provided by Yahoo. A DNS user can switch this off via the OpenDNS Control Panel. This behavior is similar to that of many large ISP’s who also redirect failed requests to their own servers containing advertising, the difference being that OpenDNS is an opt-in service whereas the ISP service is not opt-out.

In 2007, David Ulevitch explained that in response to Dell installing “Browser Address Redirector Error” software on their PCs, OpenDNS implemented this typo-correcting service: mistyped addresses would be corrected and directed to the correct address; keyword addresses would direct to OpenDNS’s search page; comma-separated keywords would result in OpenDNS search results. Each would start with an unpaid link to the suggested correction.

Also, a user’s search request from the address bar of a browser that is configured to use the Google search engine (with a certain parameter configured) may be covertly redirected to a server owned by OpenDNS without the user’s consent (but within the OpenDNS Terms of Service). Browsers configured to omit this parameter do not get redirected and address-bar searches are sent to Google as normal. Firefox and Flock users can fix this problem by installing an extension.Additionally, everybody can disable this functionality by logging in to their OpenDNS account and unchecking “OpenDNS proxy” option.

This redirection breaks some non-web applications (such as email spam filtering) which rely on getting an NXDOMAIN for non-existent domains.

Source: Wikipedia

$ host www.google.es 208.67.220.220
Using domain server:
Name: 208.67.220.220
Address: 208.67.220.220#53
Aliases:

www.google.es is an alias for www.google.com.
www.google.com is an alias for google.navigation.opendns.com
google.navigation.opendns.com has address 208.69.34.231
google.navigation.opendns.com has address 208.69.34.230

Source: kritopolis

[...]Collection in General

Information We Automatically Collect
We may receive and store certain types of non-personally identifiable information whenever you interact with us, including, without limitation, the sort information that web browsers and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, language preference, referring site, and the date and time of each visitor request. OpenDNS’s purpose in collecting such information is to better understand how OpenDNS’s visitors use its website. From time to time, [b]OpenDNS may release non-personally-identifying information in the aggregate, e.g., by publishing a report on trends in the usage of its website. [b]OpenDNS also collects potentially personally-identifying information like the Internet Protocol (IP) addresses of website visitors.
Information You Provide To Us
We may receive and store any information you enter on our website or provide to us in any other way. For example, in order to use certain services or functions of our websites, you may be required to register with a username and email address on the OpenDNS website. OpenDNS collects such information only insofar as is it deems reasonably necessary or appropriate to fulfill the purpose of the user’s interaction with OpenDNS.
You can always refuse to supply personally-identifying information, with the caveat that it may prevent you from engaging in certain activities.

Cookies

A cookie is a string of information that a website stores on a visitor’s computer, and that the visitor’s browser provides to the website each time the visitor returns. OpenDNS uses cookies to help OpenDNS identify and track visitors, their usage of OpenDNS website, and their website access preferences. OpenDNS visitors who do not wish to have cookies placed on their computers should set their browsers to refuse cookies before using OpenDNS’s websites, with the drawback that certain features of OpenDNS’s websites may not function properly without the aid of cookies.
Deleting an OpenDNS account.

All statistics and logs collected on behalf of an account holder are purged upon deletion of an OpenDNS account, although OpenDNS may retain such information for longer periods of time as part of its back-up emergency system.
Disclosure of Personally-Identifying Information

We neither rent nor sell your personal information to anyone. We share your personal information only with your consent or to our business partners and affiliates as described below:

Personnel/Agents
OpenDNS discloses potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information only to those of its employees, agents and contractors that (i) need to know that information in order to process it on OpenDNS’s behalf or to provide services available at or through OpenDNS’s websites and services, and (ii) that have agreed not to disclose it to others. Some of those employees, agents and contractors may be located outside of your home country; by using OpenDNS’s websites, you consent to the transfer of such information to them.
Affiliated Businesses
We are affiliated with a variety of businesses and work closely with them in order to provide our services to users. We will only share personal information with affiliates to the extent that is necessary for such affiliates to provide the services. For example, when a website visitor searches on OpenDNS, the IP address and query are shared with OpenDNS’s advertising partners. We require our affiliates to provide the same level of privacy protection that we do and they do not have the right to share or use personal information for any purpose other than for an authorized transaction. Some of our affiliates may be located outside of your home country; by using OpenDNS’s websites, you consent to the transfer of such information to them.
Business Transfers
If OpenDNS or substantially all of its assets were transferred or acquired (for example, in the case of a merger or acquisition) customer information would likely be one of the assets that is transferred or acquired by a third party.
Other Disclosures
OpenDNS may disclose potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information when OpenDNS believe in good faith that release is required by law, court order, or when OpenDNS believes in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of OpenDNS, third parties or the public at large.

Third Parties

This policy does not apply to the practices of third parties that OpenDNS does not own or control, or to individuals that OpenDNS does not employ or manage. OpenDNS websites may permit you to link to other websites on the Internet, and other websites may contain links to the OpenDNS websites. These other websites are not under OpenDNS control. The privacy and security practices of websites linked to or from the OpenDNS website are not covered by this Privacy Policy, and OpenDNS is not responsible for the privacy or security practices or the content of such websites.[…]

Source: Privacy Statement | OpenDNS