On Windows 8.1 Compatibility and Upgrade

Thanks for this!

I managed to rename the files via the command prompt in the troubleshooting mode of Windows. I then got into safe mode, which I then disabled and got into normal mode. There I uninstalled CIS and runned the uninstaller tool.
And now I’ve installed CIS again and all seems fine again!

Oops, sorry for the late reply (have been traveling foor the last 8 weeks and had little time to visit the interwebs).
also the forum did not sent me any notification but still I could expect you to reply :slight_smile:

anyway I am using the comodo internet security suite.
windows network interface gives me the normal network stats, netstat gives all open connections as expected.

and after a little install time (had some wireless problems due to Microsoft deciding to “update” my wireless driver to a not working one and there infinitly wise decision to remove wpa security because traveling people use this on a daily basis) I have to admit that kilswitch now works and the monitor section has been removed from the main UI and the widget happily shows network traffic so … problem fixed and one more happy user :slight_smile:

I installed windows 8.1 from Windows 8 with Comodo 6.3 and I had multiple errors I had to remove Comodo and format my laptop and start all over again I was ‘NOT’ happy. I then re-installed Comodo. On my 2nd laptop I removed Comodo before upgrading and all is fine.

Did you run the CIS clean up tool in Windows Safe Mode before you decided to take the radical step of starting from format?

Yes I ran the clean-up tool but no luck. I have Kaspersky on my 3rd laptop and that was fine during the upgrade no problems at all. So, not too sure why Comodo crashed?

I am having the same problems as others here have posted on my own 8-newly-updated-to-8.1 system. I had Comodo Firewall 6.3 installed in 8.0 (64 bit Pro version). After installing 8.1, Comodo stopped starting up and showed no icon on the taskbar. I decided to reinstall Comodo (uninstall, reboot, install), which did not work properly. The icon now appears, but with an X through it, and the error “the network firewall is not functioning properly” appears when I hover over the icon. The diagnose utility reported errors after trying to fix the problem after getting 65% through. It stated “Diagnostics have found some errors and could not fix them automatically.” So I uninstalled again, rebooted, ran CCleaner’s registry cleanup utility this time, manually inspected the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders, along with the three folders in Users/AppData/, to make sure all Comodo files were removed, then reinstalled Comodo again. Same problem - an X appears in the Comodo taskbar icon, and the “network firewall” error persists, as do the Diagnostics results.

?!? Not sure what else I can do here to get Comodo working on my 8.1 machine, other than a wipe and reinstall of the entire OS etc. perhaps. I imagine that must be the problem since I have made certain no files were left on the C drive (in the usual locations, at least… I’m not sure about which dll’s in the Windows folder to look for that Comodo may use, or which of those are shared with other programs). I will try that CIS cleanup tool next, hope that works…

Please follow the steps in this thread (most importantly safe mode and the .bat uninstaller): Most Effective Way to Reinstall/Update CIS to Avoid/Fix Problems

If that doesn’t work then you might need to increase the value of the “MaxNumFilters” DWORD inside “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network” or you could delete the “MaxNumFilters” DWORD since that essentially means setting it to unlimited. Note that you might need to re-install CIS again, in which case I suggest the previously linked thread of how to properly re-install CIS.

May be the Inspect driver is still present and needs to be uninstalled.

How to uninstall the CIS firewall driver when it stays present? Look up the properties of the network connection, select the Comodo Firewall driver and uninstall it. See the attached image.

Hello,

Im trying to install Comodo Firewall on Windows 8.1 x64 fresh install. However once Comodo Firewall is installed it causes my Windows BSOD all the time.

Also I noticed all of my applications stops working when Comodo is installed, saying “windows cannot access the specified device path or file”. After this error like 1min later my computer BSOD with error 0xc0000021a

I dont know whats wrong with Comodo Firewall… All my applications starts working again when i uninstall it and BSOD is fixed too.

Please help. I was chatting with someone called Anthony but he didnt help me at all.

What program does the BSOD tell it thinks is involved with the crash? What AV solution do you use alongside the Comodo Firewall?

I had this recurrent problem with the suite, not just the firewall. The solution was to run the installation program as Administrator (right-click on the icon). It then installed and runs perfectly.

Hope this helps.

I am running CIS on a new computer with Windows 8.1 and I am having internet problems. With CIS on my internet searches by way of Yahoo come out looking like a typed page with lines typed over the top of each other. I keep getting prompts that to run video such as youtube I need to install a new version of Adobe Flash Player. When I try to do that, it never installs and runs correctly. When I close CIS and browse the internet with explorer I have no problems at all. Are there setting or compatibility issues with Windows 8.1?

Try cleaning cache and cookies and restart your browser. See if that helps or not.

What browser are you using? It sounds like you have referring logging disabled that may cause the problems with Flash Player.

If it doesn’t help can you post a screenshot? A picture sometimes tells more than a thousand words.

The problems are getting worse. I am using the Yahoo Comodo protected browser ( Dragon and CIS) and my experience is hit and miss with how well it performs. Sometimes it looks normal with clear displays of searches. Then on other occasions it breaks down to the point of being useless to search for anything at all. The searches are displayed as if words were typed over the top of each other. Video settings issue? Maybe it is an issue of heavy traffic periods, but I am on the internet at various times of day and night and I don’t see a pattern.

I can’t verify what version of CIS I am running. It was downloaded in the last 4-6 mopnths. None of the usual places are useful for that. I am running Windows 8.1 on a new computer.

I have also been using Malwarebytes also basically for a companion program for scans and having access to their Chameleon program. That has just gone dysfuntional - not able to get updates or use their fix program.

Hi mountainmike,
For the display issues in Dragon try disabling ‘Use hardware acceleration when available’, found under system in Dragon’s advanced settings.

Kind regards.

Try disabling hardware acceleration in Dragon. Captainsticks beat me to it… :wink:

I can't verify what version of CIS I am running. It was downloaded in the last 4-6 mopnths. None of the usual places are useful for that. I am running Windows 8.1 on a new computer.
Check under the question mark under [url=http://help.comodo.com/topic-72-1-451-4702-The-Home-Screen.html]Title Bar Controls[/url].
I have also been using Malwarebytes also basically for a companion program for scans and having access to their Chameleon program. That has just gone dysfuntional - not able to get updates or use their fix program.
Are you running it on demand or on access? If the latter is the case please add the CIS installation folders to the MBAM exclusions and vice versa.