New to BOclean and have a couple of questions?

Hi All

I was recommended to add BOClean to my armoury (already use AdAware SE Pro, Spybot S&D, ZA Freeware and run Kaspersky AV - all behind a hardware firewall).

I first had the BOClean installer from nsclean, then realised that Comodo was the official site so uninstalled and reinstalled from this site - who are nsclean? Are there any issues I need to be aware of if nsclean is a copy/counterfeit operation?

Now sorry if I ask the obvious but BOClean seems to only run in the background as a service i.e. there is no on demand scanning!

I have found the updater fails to find an updated file and the current one is dated 19th April 2007, is there an issue with the server? Because I would have thought if this one is current the updater should report it as such. Is there a link anywhere to download manually the update file and instructions of how to ‘integrate’ it?

Thanks in advance from a BOClean noobie (:WAV)

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

• Comodo and Nsclean :
  • Comodo BOClean is no filescanner as we know from most AntiVirus scanners. However you scan seperate files by drag and drop them to the BOClean screen.

• There can be several issues why the updater isn’t working. You could start looking here :

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,8339.0.html#msg60553

• Also today version 2.24 is anounced :

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,8915.0.html

I hope it will help you :slight_smile:

Greetz, Red.

Welcome to the house of Comodo Searcher22!
No worries on nsclean in general, that is the old domain we used for BOClean prior to privasoft and then after acquisition finally Comodo!
So long as the file came from nsclean and not a warez site it should be ok.

So far as CBO running as a “service”, and not having a “on demand scanner” this is part of the beauty of CBO.
CBO scans the system at start, runs as resident in memory as a shield and rechecks/recalibrates every 10 seconds. All without bogging down the system. Nice, huh? :wink:

In regard to the “Updater” it is a known issue that is being addressed.
Please read and post your issue in Kevin’s thread so that we can look into what’s causing this.

New CBO 4.24 will be out soon

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,8915.0.html

Thank you for using our products, I believe you will find your trust is well placed.

~cat~

Hello

One of your first questions was

I first had the BOClean installer from nsclean, then realised that Comodo was the official site so uninstalled and reinstalled from this site - who are nsclean? Are there any issues I need to be aware of if nsclean is a copy/counterfeit operation?

NSCean and Kevin Mckleavey is the original company and Developer of what is now Commodo BO Clean which is one of if not the best Trojan and malware scanners on the market

hello all, and thanks for your time. at the risk of seeming thick i just had to ask this question after seeing this post.
“Comodo BOClean is no filescanner as we know from most AntiVirus scanners. However you scan seperate files by drag and drop them to the BOClean screen.”
what or where exactly is the BOclean screen. i would like the option of scanning individual files but i dont have a BOclean screen, or do i? thanks in advance, techdunce :slight_smile:

techdunce, if you want c-BOC to scan a file, rightclick on the c-BOC icon in the systray so that the c-BOC “menu” pops up, then drag the file to the c-BOC “menu” and “drop” the file on top of the “menu”, and c-BOC will scan it…

As has been stated before, this “scanning” feature isn’t all inclusive and shouldn’t be relied on.
It was a “hidden” feature used by malware submitters to reduce redundant submissions.

hello redwolfe, and cat too, and thanks for getting back on this. great support, and issue resolved, techdunce :slight_smile: