New Source/Destination Address Network Control Rules?

Comodo (free) Firewall (CFW) has new setting options for Source/Destination Address Network Control Rules like IPv4 and IPv6, but the CFP.chm does not reference/explain these new selections.
Previously one could set an IP address or mask or range, but now one must differentiate between IPv4 & IPv6 …

It seems to me Comodo could/should provide some guidance on these selections.

Are IP addresses/masks on the internet IPv4 or IPv6?
Does it matter if I have MS TCP/IP v6 enabled on my NIC that connects to the internet?

I have MS TCP/IP v6 enabled on one of my LAN connections.
Are these IP addresses/masks, therefore, IPv6?

It seems to me Comodo could/should provide some guidance on these selections.

There are a few references to ipv6 in the on-line help guides, but they are a bit thin. For a better overview you might as well read IPv6 - Wikipedia as a starting point.

As to the question of whether you need it or not, the answer is probably not, at least not yet. The best place to start is your ISP, give them a call and ask about their plans for ipv6 deployment, that will give you some idea about when you may need it.

In the meantime, if you don’t need it, you can turn it off. In all honesty, for most people, right now, this is a sensible option (see image). also do the following. Open a command prompt and enter the following:

netsh interface ipv6 set privacy state=disable
netsh interface ipv6 6to4 set state state=disabled
netsh interface ipv6 isatap set state state=disabled
netsh interface ipv6 set teredo disabled

These are fully reversible, they just disable the tunnelling aspects of ipv6.

[attachment deleted by admin]

I am always on the road with my laptops, so “calling my ISP” is not really an option.

If that is the only way users can correctly choose between IPv4 & IPv6, then
I don’t see why Comodo “enhanced” the free FW with those choices.

What about my 2 LAN nics with MS TCP/IP v6? ISPs know nothing about my LAN nics.

What happens if I choose IPv4 but should have chosen IPv6?
What happens if I choose IPv6 but should have chosen IPv4?

IPv6 is a replacement for IPv4 and whilst it’s supported by various operating systems by default, it’s not yet widely deployed by Internet Service Providers.

Manually choosing between the two protocol stacks is not necessary. Assuming you leave IPv6 enabled, it will be used, if supported by the ISP you’re connected to.

The commands I gave you are operating system commands and nothing to do with Comodo.

I would suggest reading the information in the link I posted above, it will help your understanding of what IPv6 is.

It IS necessary that I choose either IPv4 or IPv6 when entering an IP address/mask/range.
I already chose IPv4 on my www IP entries because I know IPv4 was the standard and IPv6 is new.
My questions are»

My questions are NOT about the differences between IPv4 and IPv6.
It would be nice if Comodo could/would just give simple, straightforward answers
to my questions instead of giving the history of the sundial …

As I’ve already explained, IPv6 deployment is still virtually non-existent, as far as the general Internet is concerned. So for the foreseeable future you can continue to use IPv4. That said, If you’re manually creating rules, you should know what you need to enter.

IPv6, like IPv4 is part of the operating system, so it’s not Comodos responsibility to educate users it it’s use and function, However, the basic mechanics of creating a rule are essentially the same.

1. Choose a Protocol
  2. Choose a Direction
  3. Choose a Source address
    4, Choose a Destination address
  4. Choose a Source port
  5. Choose a Destination port

The only significant difference is the numbering system used, a 32 bit decimal system for IPv4 and a 128 bit Hexadecimal system for IPv6. Ipv6 also users a different mask designator. All of which you could have found out, if you’d read the information in the link I provided in the first post :slight_smile:

ISPs know nothing about my LAN nics. What about my 2 LAN nics with MS TCP/IP v6? What about my 2 LAN nics without MS TCP/IP v6?

ISPs don’t need to know anything about your Network cards. Ipv4 and IPv6 are enabled and bound to Network adapters by default in Vista, Windows 7 and Linux. In XP Ipv4 is enabled by default but IPv6 may be added.

This essentially means that a PC running one of the aforementioned operating systems, assuming IPv6 has been installed on XP, can and will use both IPv4 and IPv6 simultaneously and automatically. However, as I’ve already explained, the majority of Internet service providers don’t yet support native IPv6, so unless you know explicitly that a given ISP requires you to use IPv6, which is highly unlikely, you can continue to use IPv4.

What happens if I choose IPv4 but should have chosen IPv6? What happens if I choose IPv6 but should have chosen IPv4?

At this time, as I’ve already explained, the Internet has not completely transitioned to IPv6, so unless you have an explicit need to access some IPv6 specific content, you can continue to use IPv4.

Personally, if I were you, I’d use the method I described above to disable IPv6 in the operating system. It will be safer for you.

I already chose IPv4 on my www IP entries because I know IPv4 was the standard and IPv6 is new. My questions are»My questions are NOT about the differences between IPv4 and IPv6. It would be nice if Comodo could/would just give simple, straightforward answers to my questions instead of giving the history of the sundial ...

Just for your information, I am not associated with Comodo in any way, I’m just a user like you, attempting to help another user. Who, in this instance, is quite rude and clearly doesn’t have a clue what they’re talking about :slight_smile:

Have a nice day.