New Private Network Found: 192.168.0.99

I am running a Dell 4600i desktop using XP SP3.

I am presented with two different options as well as ‘OK’ and ‘Close’.

I get this message whenever I connect my Qwest DSL modem to my LAN cord.

What is my best option? What does it mean to have a new private network?

This a standalone system, not connected to any other computers or home network. Shouldn’t I have an address like 192.168.0.5 in Local Area Connection Status for my IP? It is always 192.168.0.99. Could you please explain?

I have searched your knowledge base and forum support for anything similar to this and could not find anything.

Welcome to the Forum, Mchain.

This is your computer’s IP behind your router. You can change this through your router if you prefer.
The network found is your home(private) network.
If you want to have this network, accept it, even give it a name if you prefer (I call mine Home and eVPN for easy identification).
If you want other computers in this network to see your computer, check this also.

How do I change the dns ip address in my router?

This is an Actiontec gt701 dsl modem I resurrected from the dead by running a recovery program provided from Qwest. As a part of the necessary configuration changes to run this program I had to enter the 192.168.0.99 address manually so that the recovery program could find it. As near as I could tell, the chip on which the original program was embedded somehow was corrupted. At one moment it was downloading a movie file, and the next it stopped, rebooted, and came back yellow flash, with an intermittent red flash. It would not boot no matter what I tried. As you may know, this is really a type of flash memory, not exactly easy to change or corrupt.

I expected the dns to change back when I reconfigured XP to the default settings, but this did not happen. It remained at 192.168.0.99. XP does see the modem at the gateway as 192.168.0.1 but I seem to have lost the dynamic dns somewhere. XP shows the setting to be dynamic.

I have spoken to Actiontec re tcp port 4567 being reported open and they say it is a Qwest configuration issue and that they cannot do anything about it. Essentially, Qwest would have to provide an upgrade for that to happen.

I am not familiar with that router, but DNS is usually changed in your computer. Are you referring to changing the IP it assigns to your computer?

Yes, I am referring to the DHCP address, 192.168.0.99. Before the modem went down, DHCP was always 192.168.0.3, or something like that, 192.168.0.5. Why does it now appear static?

That is why I provided the additional information about the modem. Yes, I know the modem assigns the internal ip addresses in the private internal network. Again, this a standalone system.

Maybe it has something to do with your isp? I remember some years ago my friend had a problem that was the opposite of yours. His status changed from static to dynamic. Even when he looked at his router’s configuration the status changed even though he did not change it. He just assumed it was something on the part of the isp. I think that could be it but not certain. Maybe your isp changed your status?

That is not related as this situation deals with internal IP addresses and they are handed out by the router and not by the ISP.

Did you set the fixed IP address 192.168.0.99 in Windows or in the router interface? It sounds like a thing that was set in Windows.

I am sorry, I have not followed this for some time.

To answer the last question, yes, it was necessary to manually change the DHCP address within the OS to allow the restore/firmware update tool to connect to and find the modem.

Remember, this modem was dead in the water and would not boot at all.

Regardless, I went to the onboard LAN, installed the driver for that, and now have a different internal address, which is what I wanted in the first place.

I want to thank all whom have taken the time to follow and post replies to this topic.

Much appreciated. Thank you, lostcause.

Thiis reinstall option did save a bit of money, but I was expecting a setup to be the same as before.