New ESM 1.6 has been issued

Hi guys,

I’m glad to inform you we have just released new CESM 1.6

Comodo ESM x86/x64 installation package:
http://download.comodo.com/cesm/download/setups/CESM_Setup_1.6.30630.7_XP_Vista.exe
Size: 42M (44362696)
SHA1: 1615b934c1d5b852bc67aa8d70f7de14118bdd03
MD5: b89734bbb0c33ce4d1710d61aaa11b38

Comodo ESM agent and CIS installation package for offline setup on endpoints:
http://download.comodo.com/cesm/download/setups/CESM_Agent_Setup_1.6.30630.7_XP_Vista.exe
Size: 90M (94315056)
SHA1: 519ce94c10252b7cc782e36a2e6e01a797bc400e
MD5: 9fef1e6a84b56f22704652cf303dd683

Comodo Internet Security x64 for Comodo ESM installation package:
http://download.comodo.com/cesm/download/setups/CIS_ESM_Setup_4.1.152745.936_x64.msi
Size: 43M ((45419008)
SHA1: 519ed771349c81d8ee1b2bc7e3c8a635427f14be
MD5: 10b83f285db96c18724fd0a3e7dee970

Comodo Internet Security x86 for Comodo ESM installation package:
http://download.comodo.com/cesm/download/setups/CIS_ESM_Setup_4.1.152745.936_x86.msi
Size: 42M (43683840 )
SHA1: 5125fa086331abab6d71a35d561589acc6af393d
MD5: 9f70a16ea67a38a89e4d48d5962520c3

Comodo Offline Updater
http://download.comodo.com/cesm/download/setups/COU_Setup_1.2.30701.2_XP_Vista.msi
Size: 2M (2783744)
SHA1: e165da4c8734acd470027b0c3fc0f00883beeb4a
MD5: f2a8b0bc90f6c5f4780260ff54969cf4

Upgrade procedure:
http://download.comodo.com/cesm/download/setups/Upgrade_to_CESM_1.6.pdf
Size: 684K (700730)
SHA1: 141b28325068e859a73656ba477e774c0190609e
MD5: 4b918e2914d5b186347ccd064119332d

New features and improvements for this release:

1. Product has been localized into Chinese.
  2. Integration with Comodo Internet Security 4.1.
  3. The solution is compatible to work on a domain controller. (Fixed).
  4. Endpoint user no longer needs to be logged on to PCs when Comodo Internet Security config is pushed out (config is stored and applied immediately as user logs in). (Fixed).
  5. Non default ports are allowed for the update server in Comodo Internet Security. (Fixed).
  6. Ability to install CIS in custom language (Chinese)
  7. ESM admin can discard changes made to sequence during sequence editing

For any bugs please mention detailed description with environment and steps to reproduce, snapshots etc. We encourage users to try our new version and share any feedback!

Good work guys!

Melih

Can’t get the install to work. When it started the upgrade from 1.5 it did not see my ODBC connector. It showed a . instead in the list. I gave it a shot and continued. It uninstalled 1.5 and put the SQL DB into single user mode and crashed. I get the COMODO ESM Wizard ended prematurely because of an error. What gives?

Can't get the install to work. When it started the upgrade from 1.5 it did not see my ODBC connector. It showed a . instead in the list.

We do not use ODBC driver.
. that you have Sql instance without name. If your SQL instance has name the result will be:
.\Instancename

I gave it a shot and continued. It uninstalled 1.5 and put the SQL DB into single user mode and crashed. I get the COMODO ESM Wizard ended prematurely because of an error. What gives?

What version of SQL server do you have?
Could you connect to your SQL server with SQL Management studio?

Older versions of ESM used SQL Native ODBC driver for connecting to the SQL instance. I have used it on every install. We are using SQL 2005 Enterprise. It doesn’t matter what I do at this point the install fails. I was able to install CESM 1.5.1 back to get us up and running, but it won’t show workstations as online.

It seems 1.6 will not work with existing database. I ran the same setup giving a different database name and it installed fine. So the question is does everyone have to start all over with this install by creating a new database?

Another note: All agents that are currently installed configured to the 1.5.1 CESM will not work with 1.6. It will show workstations requesting to connect to the CESM, but if you accept and click on them it throws errors. You also see errors in the logs saying the agent is configured to another CESM 1.5.1.

We do not support SQL Enterprise.
So the correct procedure would be to install one more instance for SQL Express and use it for ESM work.

ESM might be supporting SQL Enterprise in upcoming release/s. Users might be able to configure and use the same.

Are you kidding me…??? ESM has been working on our version of SQL since beta. And now all the sudden it won’t work with SQL 2005. Standard and Enterprise SQL 2005 are no different other than a few features. Come on guys your gonna have to do better than that.

If you ask me it seems like the update wasn’t tested on a already working CESM with 1.5.1 agents already pushed.

Things found so far other than the install SQL issues with previous DB. I have always used SQL 2005 with every version of CESM and never had an issue upgrading. Matter of fact there was documentation on how to setup ODBC SQL Native drivers in your CESM documentation. I am not sure why you would say SQL 2005 STD or ENT isn’t supported. Just a reminder to you that CESM is a Enterprise product and should work in a Enterprise world. Anyways to get around it I created a new DB (In my same SQL Server 05) uninstalled all agents and reinstalled so I they would connect to the new DB. Here is a short list of problems and feature request:

1. Pushing config when user is logged off is not working. I still get the Insufficient system resources exist to complete requested service. Agent and CIS were updated on machines that were tested for config push.

2. Local Admin Mode - Two issues here. First, local admin should be bound to the CESM and not to the local admin of that workstation or laptop. Second, a user should not have to switch to local admin mode to run a simple virus scan or perform an update.

3. There is some confusion in the CESM of CIS Set Update URL and CIS Set Update Hosts List. A admin may see CIS Set Update URL thinking it is the Definition URL update.

4. The CIS Set Predefined Config Antivirus Security is still not working. It gives a invalid parameter when pushed out to users.

5. Notification Monitor is a bit out of control at times. Constantly informing me every 15 minutes that a user’s virus signature is up-to-date. It builds rapidly after a few hours.

6. The Start Page is still useless. It says network computers at risk! How and what? The pie chart doesn’t show anything useful and the Endpoint Infections square grey box is pointless. The start page should show if there are risk and should point to the machine and show what risk or infection was found.

7. The command prompt is lacking in areas. I am unable to open an .exe or use simple commands for example gpupdate /force to sync a remote machine to the domain controller.

8. I should have the ability to cancel a task in the Task Result Manager. Every once in a while there will be a task that hangs up and I have no way to kill that task other than restarting CESM.

9. There should be a way in the config to set Scheduled virus scans on the user’s laptops. If I missed this somewhere I apologize.

10. Scheduled task should give the options to run a task every hour or in minutes.

11. Check for available updates doesn’t do anything on the Start Page. That wasn’t working in any of the other versions as well.

12. There should be a way to delete a computer from the Computers List. I want to delete not Hide…

This is all I have so far. If I come up with more items I will post.

Thanks,

Hi, etaftm.

There are no many difference between 1.51 and 1.6. Only Chinese added and some other fixes.

I am not sure why you would say SQL 2005 STD or ENT isn't supported. Just a reminder to you that CESM is a Enterprise product and should work in a Enterprise world.

ESM documentation claims:

System Installation Requirements

The Central Service computer (or Server PC) requires Microsoft Windows 2003/2008 Server with .NET Framework 2.0 and local Microsoft SQL Server 2005/2008 Express.

1. Pushing config when user is logged off is not working. I still get the Insufficient system resources exist to complete requested service. Agent and CIS were updated on machines that were tested for config push.

Update CIS to the latest version.

2. Local Admin Mode - Two issues here. First, local admin should be bound to the CESM and not to the local admin of that workstation or laptop. Second, a user should not have to switch to local admin mode to run a simple virus scan or perform an update.

It will be implemented in later CIS version.

3. There is some confusion in the CESM of CIS Set Update URL and CIS Set Update Hosts List. A admin may see CIS Set Update URL thinking it is the Definition URL update.

Agree with you, but it’s backward compatibility requirement (For CIS 3.xx)

4. The CIS Set Predefined Config Antivirus Security is still not working. It gives a invalid parameter when pushed out to users.

What version of CIS do you use?

5. Notification Monitor is a bit out of control at times. Constantly informing me every 15 minutes that a user’s virus signature is up-to-date. It builds rapidly after a few hours.

Update CIS to the latest version.

6. The Start Page is still useless. It says network computers at risk! How and what? The pie chart doesn’t show anything useful and the Endpoint Infections square grey box is pointless. The start page should show if there are risk and show point to the machine and what risk or infection was found.
7. The command prompt is lacking in areas. I am unable to open an .exe or use simple commands for example gpupdate /force to sync a remote machine to the domain controller.

What result do you have on the gpupdate /force command?

9. There should be a way in the config to set Scheduled virus scans on the user’s laptops. If I missed this somewhere I apologize.

You can schedule this task with scan for the user’s laptop.

10. Scheduled task should give the options to run a task every hour or in minutes.

For what purpose?

11. Check for available updates doesn’t do anything on the Start Page. That wasn’t working in any of the other versions as well.

Works for me. You computer should not be behind the proxy server. Proxy settings will be available in the next release.

12. There should be a way to delete a computer from the Computers List. I want to delete not Hide...

This issue under discussion for the present time.

Older versions of CESM had instruction for ODBC drivers. That’s the only reason I have been using it and it worked fine.

Did you read what I typed? It says Agent and CIS were updated on machines that were tested for config… They were updated to the latest version.

What version of CIS do you use?

Latest version

What result do you have on the gpupdate /force command?

Nothing happens.

You can schedule this task with scan for the user’s laptop.

This needs to be in the config. All my users have laptops and are in and out.

For what purpose?

Once again all my users have laptops. I need to have the ability to set CIS to push out a config every 30 minutes to an hour to make sure everyone that connects or VPN into the network gets the latest config.

Works for me. You computer should not be behind the proxy server. Proxy settings will be available in the next release.

I am not behind a proxy server. When I click on Check for Updates on the Start Page, nothing happens.

It appears the version posted on this thread for CIS is incorrect. The latest version should be CIS 4.1.2673.936 and not CIS 4.1.152745.936. This could be the reason for having problems with CIS config push while user not logged in. I will test shortly and let you know.

The link on the form is correct.
You will obtain CIS 4.1.2673.936 from it.

I obtained CIS 4.1.152745.936 by clicking on the link above…

The version you’ve meant is from the file name. But check installed product version.

I have ESM 1.5.4 Is there a recommended update path? I do not see an update option in the ESM console. Thank you.

Update option is not available if you are behind the proxy or CESM is blocked by Firewall.
Use links in this forum thread to download new version of CESM and upgrade documentation.

The update link doesn’t work at all. I tried it on a test server outside the firewall. When you click on the link nothing happens.

Also, the link attached to the forums is 4.1.152745.936. I think it needs to be updated to the latest release.

Also, the update agent feature did not work. I had to uninstall agent and reinstall.

— More —
After doing some more testing I have found that 4.1.152745.936 will not allow config will user is logged off or pc is locked.

I installed CIS 4.1.2673.936 and I was able to push a config will the computer was locked, but not when the user was logged off.

Also, I am having problems installing the offline updater. When I click on the setup it comes up with the COU install screen but the next button doesn’t light up.

At the present time CESM console opens link in the default browser.
So if nothing happened - choose your default browser setting.

Run COU installation with follow parameters:
msiexec /i COU_setup.msi /l*xv c:\cou_install.log

Whait untill installation end with some result and send us this log.