Network Rules

Hey all,

I’ve been running CPF for a while now and i have some network rules set up as shown from this thread.

I have the first 3 rules shown in the guide (A,B,C) and am just wondering if this is sufficient. I also seem to get quite a few alerts (medium and high) since I’ve set these rules up, is this normal?

I was also wondering if all routers come with a firewall built in. My router is a Linksys Wireless-B Broadband Router.

Thanks for any help.

No, not all routers got a built-in firewall.
Here’s how to find out if you got a firewall:

Find your router’s IP-adress, probably located somewhere on your router along with defualt login name and password.
Or in the instruction manual that you got when you bought the router.
Write the IP-adress in your browser and you should be prompted for name and password.
Then you should get in the configuration interface, and then look around if there and see if you find a firewall feature.

Ragwing

From Linksys:

"The EtherFast Wireless AP + Cable/DSL Router with a 4-Port Switch provides the ideal solution for connecting your wireless network to a high-speed broadband Internet connection and a 10/100 Fast Ethernet backbone. Configurable as a DHCP server for your existing network, the EtherFast Wireless AP + Cable/DSL Router with a 4-Port Switch acts as the only externally recognized Internet gateway on your local area network (LAN) and serve as an Internet NAT firewall against unwanted outside intruders."

As Ragwing says, you should be able to find instuctions for configuring the router. If you can’t find the manual try contacting linksys or looking on their forums:

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_CASupport_C1&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1166859677881&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=7788177851L07

:SMLR

All right thanks il take a look on their website.

Cheers

Hey Player,

m0ng0d’s tutorial on network rules is great; I’m glad you got something out of it! Those three rules are the basic core of the Network rules - they allow you to communicate with other computers on your LAN, surf the net/do email, and block everything else.

I ran mine with just two rules (no LAN) for quite some time, before I started tweaking and fine-tuning my setup. You should do quite fine with those three, IMO. If you find that you’re having difficulties doing certain things, you may need to adjust or add to them. The thing that got me started making adjustments was that the Block & Log All rule was filling up my logs with network and router “chatter” - I didn’t need the traffic to connect, but it was being logged; I made some specific rules to block without logging on those specific protocols or ports, and reduced the logging resources.

Ask questions as you need to; we’re here to help.

LM

Hey thanks for the reply.

I was wondering if i actually need the lan rule. Im on a network but the other computer doesn’t need to connect to mine for any reason like shared files. But does the router communicate with my computer which would require that rule?

Cheers

I’m actually in the same situation as you are, at my work. The only “trusted zone” I have is for the DHCP & DNS Server IPs, which are part of the network IP range. There are times those need unimpeded communication to/from my computer, so it’s more convenient to have the zone set for that.

Here’s what I’d suggest. Go to Start/Run and type “cmd” (no quotes). When the DOS window opens, type “ipconfig /all” at the prompt (again, no quotes). This will give information about your network connection.

Look for and write down the IP address for DHCP Server and DNS Server (depending on setup, there may be multiple DNS servers - one for network, one for ISP).

If the DHCP and DNS Servers are different, they’re probably still sequential in the network IP range. So just modify the start and end ranges for that Zone to match. That should help make sure you don’t have any issues with connectivity.

Unless it appears you need to set a rule for your ISP’s DNS Server (if such shows up in the information), I don’t see the need to do so.