Nero Multisession Burning Question

I’ve recently realized that there were a few discs in the past that I had burned using nero that could possibly have been burned with the “start multisession” option.

I only realized this yesterday after I burned a disc and realized my settings did not have the “no multisession” option checked.

My question is (since I don’t know which discs I burned under the multisession option) if I were to put those discs in someone else’s computer,who did not have comodo defense+ but have nero or another program that burns cd’s plus that computer happened to have a virus or malware at the time I put the cd or dvd in it if it is possible that that virus/malware could replicate itself unto the disc without me knowing? Of course this is in the event that that person’s security programs have not been able to detect such a virus.

if I were to put those discs in someone else's computer,who did not have comodo defense+ but have nero or another program that burns cd's plus that computer happened to have a virus or malware at the time I put the cd or dvd in it if it is possible that that virus/malware could replicate itself unto the disc without me knowing?
I can answer most of it It depends 1) Hopefully "autoplay" is disabled
  1. Depending on what kind of files, If it’s software on a disc your in trouble. If you only put .mp3 .txt, and/or .avi files. You should be safe

Hi lostcause ,

1) I totally agree with jay2007tech re: his point #1

But I would rather stress that it is not just “hopefully” though - that is a some kind of “current law” and the only sure way to be protected – you must have Autoruns disabled Globally through the system for all devices
CD/DVD/USB/ any external media etc. That is the 1st and the most important layer of defense

Please find out (Google) “how to disable Autoruns” or tell you have difficulties with that, so the links can be provided

2) When Autoruns are disabled nothing will start automatically when the media inserted and or externals are connected.
You have to explicitly fire up your executables. If that is not an EXE - you have to either double-click on the file and if the system has the association set up - the associated Software will open the file (say, the default editor will open the document depending on the file’s extension, or speaking about multimedia the respective Player or alike will start)
If there are no associations you have to Start the Software firs and then use File > Open… menu

The point here is - only after that it matters whether you have the security set up on any given computer. And that security will either check the executable (different methods) and/or scan the file … and sure it may be able to identify the threat or miss it (nobody knows :))

3)
Another point to make is that there is a bit of a mixture (I am afraid to offend you saying -”misunderstanding”, please don’t get me wrong)…

Creating “Multisession” data CD/DVD whether it is Nero or any other Software has nothing to do with the method of creating Autorun Applications on CD/DVD or other media
There is a special way to do the latter.

Please Google, say “how to create CD that Autorun” and you will see the difference compare to just writing any file type as a data using Nero or whatever Utility

And finally, it really doesn’t matter whether “the other computer” has Nero or not.
It may not, but it is possible to read data because that is just data files, or run EXEs.

You may need Nero or any other alike Software in order to add data to the existing multi-session CD/DVD if that one is not “closed” … but that is a different story.

My regards

3) Another point to make is that there is a bit of a mixture (I am afraid to offend you saying -”misunderstanding”, please don't get me wrong)...
There's isn't nothing wrong with that, It's called learning (some of it is good and some of it is bad)
And finally, it really doesn't matter whether “the other computer” has Nero or not. It may not, but it is possible to read data because that is just data files, or run EXEs.

You may need Nero or any other alike Software in order to add data to the existing multi-session CD/DVD if that one is not “closed” … but that is a different story.

To add to this
http://www.doom9.org (look under “Guildes” and/or “The Basics” <---- this site has alot of info on burning stuff. More info then you can dream about :o

Precisely my point - there is nothing wrong with “that” & learning :wink:

Cheers!

I don’t think autoplay is disabled :-[

And unfortunately some of the dvd’s I have contain softwares. dang!!!

Not sure if this is relevant or not but in this case the dvd/cd is clean and it is just the computer that I am putting the dvd/cd into that I am not sure and if it is infected if that virus can go unto the clean dvd/cd.

Okay then let me ask one more question in this regard then: In the worst case scenario, whether it is nero or otherwise, and a software that has burning capabilities is on that person’s machine wants to add a file it would have to start and I would notice right? Or could a virus simply just write itself unto the disc without me knowing?

Break it down to me in layman’s term plz?

lostcause ,

1) As it was said it doesn’t matter if the Software is written as a data on your CD/DVD unless it’s written the special way as “auto-run” and (important!) Autoruns feature is enabled on the computer where you are inserting the media.
But that is about – running from the media

2) You will notice if anything has to be written into your media

a) you have to explicitly run Nero (Burning ROM or Express) or alike Software, say CDBurnerXP (or many others) in order to continue adding info as another session.

b ) talking about Nero it has InCD Software that is treating CD/DVD as it is kinda “big floppy”… but again you have to explicitly copy data (or drag/drop) into such media . In addition the media should be in a special UDF format (using “packet writing” method). You cannot use “normal” multisession media that was already used for that;

c) the last point is - InCD is a very weak Software even the last 5.5 (I could be wrong) version.
Basically it creates a lot of problems and incompatibility issues. Those users, who are using Nero in 99.9% cases are disabling InCD. Nero has special procedure for that, moreover as far as I know it is not included into default installations with all latest versions (staring from v6) of Nero

My regards

SiberLynx you just answered exactly what I needed to know. Thanks.

You are correct about InCd. I actually used to use it back when I was too cheap back up softwares. I would simply use it then erase and put my updates softwares on it. I stopped using it when one day I had erased it and gave it to a friend to put his audio demos that he made on them so that I could hear it on my system with my kick ■■■ speakers. I don’t know what happened but when I put it on my system it would freeze my pc. It worked on his pc, however, but when he erased it it suddenly malfunctioned.