Need replacement for TPF-Pro 2005

I am in the process of building a new vista system so I will not be able to use my old firewall on the new
box.
I need to know a few things.

1. Is Comodo a modular system? May I shut down the file protection while setting up the firewall?
  2. Is the firewall a packet filter type? Can I block and allow access per IP addy or ranges or by ports
    or port ranges?
  3. Can I use it to create a sandbox type setup like TPF allowed for?
  4. Are “User” rules allowed? Can I set up different rules for each account?

I am finding it tough to find somethin similar or better than Tiny that will work with Vista. I will keep Tiny for my XP-Pro box but im looking at yours for the new one.
Hope these questions are allowed here.

Michael

Yep, the file monitoring/HIPS component can be disabled during installation or disabled/enabled after installation.

2. Is the firewall a packet filter type? Can I block and allow access per IP addy or ranges or by ports or port ranges?
Again, yep, it's an SPI firewall and is exceptionally flexible in its rule creation - address, address range, hostname (incl. wildcarding), ports etc.)
3. Can I use it to create a sandbox type setup like TPF allowed for?
Not yet, but sandboxing is slated for a future release.
4. Are "User" rules allowed? Can I set up different rules for each account?
No, but it does allow for the creation of multiple configs that are easily switchable.
Hope these questions are allowed here.
Of course they are. These forums are a lot more relaxed than some.

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

I have another stupid question. My computers are all set up to run with one admin account and multible
user accounts. On each account i allow only what net access and file access that particular account needs.
Only the admin is allowed to make global changes to the firewall.
Am I correct to assume that I wont be able to do that with Comodo?

Oops. Another question. Can I fully configure loopback access to control proxies? I must be able to control loopback to allow only certain ports and block all loopback access to the other ports.

Sorry if im bein a pain.
Michael

Great! I’ve probably got another stupid answer. :slight_smile:

My computers are all set up to run with one admin account and multible user accounts. On each account i allow only what net access and file access that particular account needs. Only the admin is allowed to make global changes to the firewall. Am I correct to assume that I wont be able to do that with Comodo?

At the moment, no. But plans are afoot for a centraised management tool that will, hopefully, allow an admin to centrally administer all Comodo apps across a LAN.

Oops. Another question. Can I fully configure loopback access to control proxies? I must be able to control loopback to allow only certain ports and block all loopback access to the other ports.

CFP V3 allows you to create a “BLOCK rule with exceptions” and apply this to any pre-defined zone. You could define your loopback zone and then create a rule that BLOCK access to all ports, but with your defined zone liosted as an exception to this rule. Voila - blocked access to everything except your loopback.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Sorry if im bein a pain.
Michael
[/quote]