need new sound card?

Hi, I’m setting up my PC after a fresh Windows install, and I don’t have any sound. I have Windows XP Media Center Edition. When I check my system specs it says:

Windows: Windows XP Professional, Version 5.1.2600, Service Pack 3, 32 Bit.
Memory (RAM): 3327 MB
CPU Info: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
CPU Speed: 3182.1 MHz
Sound Card: Modem #0 Line Playback
Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Product Make: Dell DM051
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0WG261

My PC originally came with Sigmatel Audio Drivers, but I think a recent update is causing problems for them now. This isn’t the first time I’ve had sound problems with my PC. I’m guessing I need a newer sound card, so could someone recommend one that would be compatible with my system? I’m thinking I should get one that is compatible with DirectX 9.0c.

If I recall correctly Sigmatel does not provide drivers for download at their website.

You need to go your Dell’s web site and download them from there.

Thank you! I just figured that out on my own. :slight_smile:

After making my post I did some more research and uninstalled the IDE driver that was on my PC. Then I went to the Dell website, downloaded the correct driver for my PC - R114282 SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio - and installed it.

Now I have sound again!

I, too, have a Dell PC with a similar sound card. However, my sound is fine. The reason I’m inserting myself in this discussion is that I have the same Windows conflict Azhrarn has – he has Windows XP Media Center Edition (mine is 2002, SP3 which is what it says after Control Panel/System/General Tab). However, when I click on Help from an IE window, system info says I’m running Windows XP Professional, same version, etc. as Azhrarn.

I have never tried to install any Windows Professional software. How can Azhrarn and I have two different Windows programs showing as being active? My machine is running really slowly despite a lot of defragging and malware checking/fixing and I wonder about the Windows inconsistency. Does anybody have any ideas about Media and Professional?

I am not intimately familiar with XP Media Center Edition. But I think that it may be based on a professional edition of Windows XP and that because of that it will say it is a professional edition. It is not something to worry about.

To help you with trying to find the cause of slowness I need more information about your system. What CPU, how much RAM, what is the size of the partition/drive your Windows is installed at, how much free space is on the system partition/drive?

What are your pagefile settings? To find out click right on My Computer and choose Properties → Advanced → click on the Settings button in the part which says Performance. A new diaglogue box opens and choose Advanced → In the part that says Virtual Memory click on the button that says Change. Now see if it is set to Automatic or if it is set to manual. If it is set to manual let us know what minimum and maximum settings are.

When done go back using the Cancel option.

What disk defragmenting program do you use? Does it report fragmentation of the pagefile? If so of how many fragments does the pagefile consist?