Need help prior to installation

Hi. I am looking for a firewall to replace my aged WinRoute Pro. I have a Wndows XP Pro pc with two network cards that I want to use as an Internet gateway for my home lan. Can the Comodo firewall do the job?

G’day David,

It sure can. All you’ll need to do is 1) to set up a zone for the IP addresses of the internal LAN and set that zone as trusted and 2) create rules for the outward facing NIC that connects to the internet.

It sounds daunting, but it’s not really.

Although CFP will protect the inbound and outbound requests, I would recommend that you install CFP on the other PCs in your LAN, just for outbound protection in case of infection. If you do this, you should set up the same zone that you defined on the gateway PC to ensure intra-lan communications.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Many thanks Ewen.
I will give it a try at the weekend.

David :slight_smile:

Hi Ewen,

I must be missing something fundamental. I installed CFP. It found both network cards. The outward facing nic has an ip address provided by my isp. The inward facing nic has an address on my home lan. I set up a trusted zone (my home lan) but no luck. The pc running CFP can access the internet ok but even though I set the ip address of the inward facing card as the gateway on my other pcs they cannot access the internet through the pc running CFP. I think I need step by step help. Can you assist?

Many thanks

David