Need help deciding on nod32 vs. cis..

My experience with NOD, got infected had to re-install SO.
With CIS when executing the infected file D+ was able to stop it, so no infection occurred.
Also bitdefender and aira were unable to detect the virus/worm/malware/trojan or what is the name of that thing

I have used NOD32 AV in combination with various versions of Comodo Firewall for 2 years now, and have been pleased with this tag team’s protection (as in zero infections). There were no conflicts when I upgraded to CIS (Firewall and D+ only), and I’m currently using v3.8.

I just renewed my subscription to NOD32 AV v4.x, which was just released a few days back ($50/2yrs) and it continues to play well together with CIS. I used NOD’s default installation, and I don’t find the AV bloated at all.

I have nothing against CAV- I just have always “rolled my own” suites, picking and choosing from among the best defensive components, after considerable research, following test results from independent websites, and after personal trials.

And Comodo FW/HIPS+NOD32 AV= very good for me.

Not free, perhaps, but a small price to pay for peace of mind and a low “grief factor”. YMMV

Well, when you go and look and most comparative tests, you see that NOD is getting worse and worse. I’ve seen this in reallife to. NOD seems to focuse more on heuristics then signatures, but even there they fail…

Xan

With respect I disagree.

The experts I trust at independent security and help forums continue to recommend NOD32 as among the very best of the paid AVs, and my real life experience is in agreement.

The respected and independent AV test site AV-Comparatives recently published their 2008 summary report, and it did show that NOD32 has slipped- from its position of “Best Antivirus of the Year” that it held in the previous 2 years, to a “close second place” in 2008. Unlike computer magazines that also publish AV comparisons, these testers do not accept ads from vendors of the products tested.

You might want to read that report, before deciding if NOD32 really is getting “worse and worse”:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse/summary2008.pdf

When CAV is sufficiently mature (and confident) to submit to testing at AV-Comparatives, and gets good marks there, I’ll be more than happy to try it!