Msiexec?

I updated my Itunes software and after it finished installing a comodo alert appeared saying that Itunes.exe (i think) was using msiexec to connect to the internet, why is this and what should I do?

re,

msiexec is the windows installer. might it needs to fullfill or register you that connection.

its really up to you, i would deny it but not click remember.

Mike

does it say what ip it wants connect?

it did but it didnt register it in the logs so I’m not sure, although seeing as it happens after installs I’d imagine its connected to them

re,

no i dont think its a perm connection, then just it did transmit some infos.

so however its done because msiexec just open at install, make sure its not a trusted application.

you might disconnect yourself from inet to be sure connection is cut …

Mike

After installation, it is frequently part of the install routine that calls for a connection to validate the install, register, or update. Very common stuff. You may either Allow or Deny as you desire, but I would suggest (as did Mike) not checking the “Remember” box.

LM

I generally allow (with extreme caution) but I never tick remember when it comes to things like this that I’m not sure about

v3 now has an “Installation Mode” which follows the installation process and allows those to happen unhindered, but without creating permanent rules. If something happens that is not in the immediate flow of the install process, you’ll get an alert for it.

LM

That installation mode thing sounds cool mate, but how will it know the difference between genuine installation and malicious processes (eg does it receive updates to the firewall to keep up to date with new installation programs)

It’s something that has to be turned on specifically by the user. So, you know if you’re going to install something (or do Windows updates, for example), you turn on install mode and let it do it’s thing. In case you forget to turn it off again, CFP has a built-in timer to remind you every five minutes until you turn it off.

You can read more about it in Egemen’s post here:

https://forums.comodo.com/cfp_beta_corner/cfp_309229_beta_questions_about_how_it_works-t13164.0.html;msg92417#msg92417

LM