MS edge beta crashes on launch

Sorry for not being as clear as should be.

Are you willing to give the online installer a try to help us get more insight on why this is happening on your system? Are you also willing to do some additional testing to try to find what is causing this? It will greatly help Comodo because your issue does not reproduce on my system.

Sure, why not.

I think you added files or folders to the shellcode exclusions. I was wondering if you were willing to try to figure out by a process of elimination to see if there are specific executables that need to be excluded. I don’t know what exclusions you made and how much work that process will take. You are the judge whether my request is workable or not.

I only put the main executable, nothing else.

Thank you. Once there is a new beta build could you try removing the main executable from the exclusions of shellcode injection and see if the problem persists?

No need to wait for the next beta. I tried Canary and the result was the same.

Since Microsoft has finally killed off the old Edge in favor of the chrome based Edge I decided to use it for some comparison testing, as well as testing HTTP/3 only to have it instant crash on launch.

Tried all the usual suspects.

sfc /scannow
all that fancy DISM stuff.
powershell removal and reinstall of edge, etc.

Then I decided to simply things and did a safe mode with networking, and edge started perfectly normal. That got me suspicious, so I booted normally and added msedge to the shell code injection exception list. Problem solved.

Use search already known about, however if you are using Windows 10 I like to know if you are using non-default setting for Microsoft Defender exploit protection settings or have anything set specifically for edge.

Edit: On Windows 7 there is no issue, I would try adding a custom setting of exploit protection of edge and set each mitigation to override system settings and set them all to off to see if it helps, or at least with the following mitigation’s: Validate heap integrity, Arbitrary code guard (ACG), and Code integrity guard.

I use the defaults for MS Defender settings. I’ll test those overrides later.

As I predicted, the stable version 90 is also affected. This is why I cannot recommend CIS to anyone: it loves blocking safe and well known applications.

It is not Comodo’s fault and it neither is, in your case, Microsoft’s fault.
All security software is affected by the way how all browser softwares (be it from big companies like Microsoft, Mozilla or Google) defend and self-protect themselves from unwanted intrusions by injected dll’s in their browser code from other companies. This self-protection that is being build into browsers these days affects the correct working of all security software on the market, not only Comodo’s.

Believe me, I had a similar experience as you but in my case it was with a new Mozilla Firefox version which hard-crashed on using CIS. I reported the issue to Mozilla and they fixed the issue in their browser code by unloading the CIS dll injection before browser startup. Mozilla also gave me another solution to fix the issue but I don’t think that would be appropriate to post here.
You can do the same, report the issue to Microsoft and they will fixed it for you by, most probably, kicking out the CIS dll injection.

Like I said before, it is a battle between Giants (Browser companies against Security companies) which are defending their code territory.

The problem does not reproduce here on my system. Your recent complaint about Telegram could also indicate that there is something particular on your system or set up.

First try activating a factory default configuration of CIS and see if the problem reproduces or not.

If it does not reproduce we need to make sure there are no left overs of previously installed security program on your system. Sometimes while uninstalling something gets left behind. Run clean up tools of security programs you had installed in the past. Or if you are an advanced user you can use Autoruns for that purpose.

Suddenly it’s working. Dunno if Comodo pushed some sneaky update or if it as fixed by Windows update, but it’s working.

I am happy to hear it got fixed even when we don’t know why it happened.