Move Protected Objects Just Under Defence+ in Advanced Settings [M1253]

1. What version of CIS, or Comodo Firewall, are you currently using:

2. What actually happened or you saw:
Currently the feature is located under Advanced settings>Security settings>Defence+ > HIPS> Protected objects> Protected data folders

3. What you wanted to happen or see:
I think it would be better if it will be located “closer”, like in Advanced settings>Security settings>Defence+ > Protected Objects

4. Why you think it is desirable:
This will make the feature more obvious \ accessible, since I think many users don’t’t even know about this feature right now.

5. Any other information:
This feature could save people’s documents from stuff like cryptolocker, so I think it should be more visible.
Also, this makes sense as the Protected Objects works even if the HIPS is disabled. Thus, it doesn’t really make sense for it to be located under HIPS.

Do you know if the Protected Objects folder works correctly when the HIPS is disabled? I ask because I’m not sure, but if it only works when the HIPS is enabled then it makes sense to leave it where it is. However, if it works even if the HIPS is disabled then I agree it should be moved.

Does anyone know this for sure?

Thanks.

Just tested, HIPS - Disabled, BB - Disabled, added C:\Test* to the Protected Data Folders, put a file in the folder (C:\Test\Test.txt), started explorer.exe in sandbox (FV) and navigated to C:\Test\ and the file Test.txt was not visible, ie Protected Data Folders work even when HIPS is disabled.

It works as long as auto sandbox is enabled for me, regardless of HIPS.

Sanya IV Litvyak, what’s the point in protected data folders when you’re using fully virtualized sandbox? You can’t do anything to the real system from there anyway.

The point was testing if Protected Data Folders were active even if HIPS was disabled.

Sanya IV Litvyak ok, but using the same test method, if you add a drive instead of a folder, you can see files just fine. That me be a bug. Can you confirm?

I can not confirm, I added my external HDD to the Protected Data Folders and FV sandboxed explorer.exe can not see any files on that hard-drive now.

Strange… It works on my internal drive (can’t see the files), but I can see files on my external one.

Maniak2000, I have edited the first post, edited the title, and added a poll. Please look over it and let me know if everything is correct.

As for the issues which you are seeing with the Protected Data Folders, please create a new HELP topic for that. Also, note that I edited the first post so that it only suggested moving the location of Protected Objects to just under Defense+. There can only be one wish per post, and technically each of those constitutes a different wish.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.

Looks good.

Thank you for submitting this Wish Request. I have now moved this to the WAITING AREA.

Please be sure to vote for your own wish, and for any other wishes you also support. It is also worthwhile to vote against wishes you think would be a waste of resources, as implementing those may slow down the wishes you would really like to see added.

Thanks again.

Voted yes. :-TU
Considering ‘Protect Objects’ appears to function correctly and independently from HIPS, yes it should be moved directly under D+ to cease any confusion as to whether or not HIPS needs to be enabled for it to function.
The way it is now, a lot of users would presume it is only active when HIPS is enabled.

I’m writing this reply as a heads up. The rules for Wish Request processing state that a Wish cannot stay in this area for more than 6 months. Thus, there is less than a month’s time left for voting for this topic. Once it is October 25th I will move this topic to Rejected (unless it receives at least 15 points before the end of the voting period).

Thus, if you have not yet voted, one way or the other, about this Wish Request please do so ASAP.

Thank you.

I would like to thank everyone who has voted on this particular enhancement. As this wish has accumulated the necessary 15 points I have added this to the tracker for consideration by the devs. However, do note that even though this wish will be considered by the devs, it does not necessarily mean that it will be implemented. I will update this topic when I have any additional information.

Thank you.