Most Effective Way to Reinstall/Update CIS to Avoid/Fix Problems

Thanks Chiron I will take your advice and remove v4 before installing v5 when the time comes. Kind regards.

Hi Chiron, I removed v4.1 just via Comodos standard uninstall, then I cleaned a couple of Comodo entries from registry with caution after rebooting. Rebooted again then installed v5 and have had no problems at all. Running really nice. Just though I would let you know. Thanks and Kind regards.

Hi languy99. My comments are not to say you are wrong with any of your comments regarding SP2 and SP3, I was just wondering if some people may have a slightly corrupt SP2 install and installing SP3 corrected it. The only reason I am saying anything is because against MS wishes I am still running SP2 and have had no problems with V4.1 and now running V5 with nothing but positive results. This is only my thoughts. Thanks and Kind regards

My elderly friend has been running CIS 4 on his Xp Pro SP3 laptop and I tried updating it to CIS 5. I Uninstalled CIS 4 as recommended and installed CIS 5. It took a long time to initialize, then gave the warning “Comodo application agent is not running”. Running the repair option did not help. I tried uninstalling it, running the CIS removal tool and re-installing it but this made no difference. Any suggestions?

I assume there are some pieces of V4 left on the computer. You can try reinstalling V4 and then uninstalling it using Revo Uninstaller. That may help.

Also, you can run a registry cleaner, when CIS is not installed. Hopefully this will remove any unnecessary registry keys that could be interfering with the installation.

Still on V3, any idea if it will be easier to now install V5 instead of V4, as V4 came up with 1603 error and I never managed to resolve it I tried about 3 times to upgrade but it didn’t work for me , plus the fact I was a bit squeemish about deleting things I had no idea about.
So is V5 more user friendly?

Don’t know if this link would be of any assistance to you. Also in my opinion V5 is very friendly, but it is still recommended to uninstall and clean up previous versions. Kind regards and good luck with V5 if you try it.

Upgrade from V3 to V5 was not a problem for me and V5 is far better on this side too.

Uninstall V3 with revo uninstaller or at least uninstall reboot clean traces with CIS Clean-up Tool or at least delete CIS folder than reboot and Install V5 … reboot tweak initial sequence and… reboot and it works faster than light :wink:

I am having serious problems with CIS…

I originally installed CIS 4.0.10770.828 (64 bit) on my Win 7 64 bit quad core; which worked fine - right up until I received and then acted upon the ‘update’ alert for CIS V5.

I downloaded the update the alert pointed to… and the download seemed to be progressing fine unitl it got to downloading the cmdagent.exe component. After several hours of waiting for the cmdagent.exe component of the V5 update download to complete - which it obviously didn’t; I manually downloaded the CIS V5 64 bit version to hard drive for manual install.

I followed the instructions regarding the update process outlined on these forums, however I have had zero luck in installing the update or even going back to the previous version.

I can’t even install an alternative AV app because it’s obvious that CIS has plastered references throughout the registry that cannot be altered even when running regedit as Administrator…

I have no desire to go back to the system restore point I created, even if it is only a few months old, as that’ll just have me back at the starting point of all these woes!

Any advice beyond references to the threads and posts regarding the various batch files for removal of registry entries - which are applicable to CIS V3 rather than V4 and they didn’t work anyway; or to software removal tools that only reference Windows registry entries for installed programs so programs that are uninstalled via Windows “Programs and Features” utility, don’t show up anyway… would be much appreciated.

As it stands - my machine is running without AV protection as I constantly get the 1603 error, as well as the 2203 error code regardless of whether it’s trying to roll back to CIS V4 or update to CIS V5… and I can’t install any other AV package.

Regards,
Steve C

You can try the advice given here. Please let me know if it works or not. Thank you.

I’ve been rather busy over the past few days and haven’t had much of a chance to reply…

Sadly; after trying the solutions outlined in the linked post on resolving installation error/s, I am no further along the path to fixing the issue.

It seems there is no way to eliminate the last few registry keys that refer to Comodo - even when I’m logged in as ‘Administrator’ with full control rights…

I tried a couple of the clean up tools mentioned - namely the Comodo System Cleaner; which wouldn’t install (the same 1603 install error code!) and EasyCleaner which; while it installed, is a 32bit app and therefore somewhat useless in affecting a 64bit registry…

It’s not looking good I’m afraid.

Just when I had my system running so nicely… I really don’t want to use ‘System restore’ because of past issues I’ve had with it, and having to re-install stuff that I know I’ve installed since the last restore point I created.

Guess I’ll just have to run my machine without any AV protection… not good. :frowning:

Latest development/s…

Even after managing to figure out that in Win7 64 bit regedit the way to delete the 0000 ‘Legacy’ registry entries associated with Comodo was a lot more complex than just being logged in as Administrator - it involves right clicking; then selecting Permissions, then Advanced; then select the ‘Owner’ tab; then select Administrators from the selections in the Change owner to: list as well as selecting “replace owner on subcontainers and objects” check box… so my registry was totally cleaned of all Comodo keys/references, I still couldn’t get either CIS 4 or CIS 5 to load.

I checked out the latest Windows installer - and as Windows 7 doesn’t have a downoadable installer package (it runs installer V5!!) I figured I’d just load my Windows 7 setup disk and try running a “repair” session to see whether that’d correct any corruptions that may have occurred to any Win installer V5 files…

As it turns out; Windows 7 determined that i was running an “older Windows version”!!! and automatically “upgraded” my system whilst keeping programs and settings intact.

During the “upgrade”, Setup reported a compatability issue with the ATI Catalyst installer.

It now appears that the ATI Catalyst driver version that I loaded for my ATI Radeon 5700 card corrupted the Windows Installer V5 files that Windows 7 installs…

So - long story short, now that Windows 7 has “upgraded” itself back to itself, I was able to load CIS 5 without issue: or should I say minimal issues - like having to install all of the Win7 64bit updates all over again; that is!!

Anyhow: it appears that some of the solutions suggested for the installation errors associated with CIS 3 aren’t as relevant when the errors are associated with CIS 4 and CIS 5 - especially on Windows 7 (and even more especially on Win7 64 bit) machines.

If anyone has the sort of difficulty I’ve had; where the suggested CIS installation fixes still lead to brick walls - it may be worth tracking down any drivers or software for hardware in your machine that might have installed older version .Net stuff or older installer version files - and if you are running Windows 7; try running your Windows setup disk in “upgrade” mode… It may just do the trick.

Thank you for explaining the problem and how you solved it. If anyone else encounters the same problem this post will be very useful.

Hi , Many thanks at you for explaining , now the problem and how you solved Kind regards

To Chiron (first post),

FileHippo does not host any more the last CIS 4.x (4_1_150349_920)
they send you to the v5 file when trying to download.

A link and an MD5 for the 4_1_150349_920 CIS install would be welcomed
(for those not yet wanting the CIS v5)

thanks.

I think it does: Download Comodo Internet Security 4.1.150349 for Windows - Filehippo.com .

Regarding the opening post paragraph 1), I recommend screen capturing firewall rules and pasting them in an email. Alt-PrtSc captures just the window in focus.

Regarding the opening post paragraph 2), wouldn’t the uninstall be more complete if you do the following?
a) check Defense+ Setttings > “Deactivate the Defense+ permanently (Requires a system restart)”
b) reboot
c) run msconfig and check “Safe boot” on the Boot tab
d) reboot
e) run Revo Uninstaller

in my version of revo uninstaller comodo is not recognised as an installed application.?
if i want to do a fresh re-install i need to go through control panel.
any ideas please why comodo isnt in revo.?

many thanks. :THNK

Is this on a 64 bit computer?
If so then I noticed the same thing. In that case I guess you’d have to uninstall normally and then run the removal tool.

yep im on a 64-bit machine and from what i can gather that is not a good thing in regards to cis.
apparently there is a thread on this in the forum so i will take a look.
i had the impression 64-bit was a bit more secure.

regards.