Most Effective Way to Reinstall/Update CIS to Avoid/Fix Problems

Hi,
I finally managed a successful installation of V4 (Firewall only) using Chiron’s instructions. One thing to note; Revo will use the built-in CIS Uninstaller, when the CIS Uninstaller finishes it will prompt you to reboot but click no and let Revo complete its process as you select and delete the remaining Registry entries and CIS files - then reboot.
Worked for me! Thanks Chiron.
Bob

I just changed the first post to clarify this.

Thanks for pointing it out. I appreciate it. :-TU

help!! i’ve tried the methods accordingly and i still get my error 1603!
revo uninstalled, ran both batch files, manually removed legacy keys, comodo cleaned up, but i still cant install cis4! help please!

Please follow the instructions here as nothing else has worked.

thanks! i’ve started a new topic
https://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/help-cant-install-cis4-from-cis3-t60242.0.html

Please post in the same topic use the Reply button.

I should think he has set the topic so he knows if someone reply’s to that topic.

Dennis

I’m new here, but I cannot upgrade my XP version (V3) of Firewall to V4: “Setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error” with no further explanation. I have successfully upgraded 2 laptops running Vista and Windows 7, respectively, but XP can’t do it. Can it be residue from uninstall or do I have to a competitor’s product, please?

what service pack do you have installed on that CP machine? if it is less then SP3 please upgrade, comodo is not compatible with anything less then sp3

Pssst Languy,

SP2 is listed as minimum system requirement.

Bad

it might be listed but I had people message me having trouble when running sp2 and I asked them to update to sp3 and their problems went away.

That may be, but it doesn’t change the fact that they list SP2 as a minimum system requirement.

Bad

I really think they should change the minimum to sp3 one is that it works much better with sp3 and another is that MS is not supporting sp2 anymore.

Agreed and True.

Bad

what service pack do you have installed on that CP machine? if it is less then SP3 please upgrade, comodo is not compatible with anything less then sp3

'Still getting the hang of this forum, but I have XP SP3. My installed version of COMODO Firewall is 3.24.147648.588 and it is working well. However, every attempt to install v4 uninstalls v3 and, though I can restore to get it operational again, it is lost to Control Panel’s Add or Remove Program, and to Revo Uninstaller. So, if I am to clean it out completely I will have to do it manually. And there are instructions for that in this dialogue - elsewhere - which I will consult. Thanks for quick response. I am concerned that if updates cease for v3, I will be left high and dry.

This guide worked for me but I had to use the manual technique for removing v3.x. It turned out the permissions were set in the registry which prevented the uninstallers from removing the keys; once I took ownership and changed the permissions to full control, I was able to delete the keys and install V4.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. The error I had was:
cannot install comodo firewall error: 1603 fatal error during installation.

Well, now I know why I couldn’t update V3!!

I couldn’t install V4 after removing V3 with Rev0 either.

Now I find out that I shouldn’t have my computer to restart, rats…!!

It might be useful use the “Advance” mode in Revo uninstaller. I found that I had to use the CIS clean tool as there were leftovers from CFP’s last version of series 3.

Hi all, I’ve read the comments about updating from CIS v3 to v4 but what about when v5 becomes final should we let the auto updater install it or should we remove v4 first? Also is v4 as hard to remove as what v3 sounds? Thanks

I don’t recommend this because it’s relatively dangerous. It could delete the wrong files and leave a program crippled.

I actually updated this to make the information more general. These steps should also work for the V5 release. My advice for a major release is always to remove the previous version and then install the newest.

Hopefully there won’t be the kind of problems we saw with the release of V4.