Misleading 'Update' Pop-up - Actually a Prompt to UPGRADE to Paid CISE

1. What actually happened or you saw:

Every day, and much to my ire, I get a pop-up that declares itself an update, with scare tactic messages of

“Keep your computer protected!”

and

“We recommend keeping your Antivirus up to date for the best performance, the best features and to prevent your computer from being at risk!”

Not only does the pop-up use a normal sized ‘OK’ button to opt in, and a TINY ‘Decline’ not-a-button to opt out, it does not in any way mention what it is doing or what it is actually for. Even more annoying, it imposes itself over everything, INCLUDING FULL-SCREEN APPS (I was watching a movie until this nagware showed just before I made this post).

There is no option in settings to disable or otherwise opt out of this nagware behavior.

Upon clicking the ‘Learn more…’ link, Comodo ignores my computer’s default browser, which is, ironically, Comodo IceDragon, and opens an Internet Explorer window instead. Reading the page that comes up reveals the truth of what the pop-up was designed to do - it will either trick a user into installing a trial of CISE, after which they’ll be nagged to purchase a subscription, or it brings them to a product ‘registration’ page, in which they enter their information and then are taken to a payment page in which you ask for payment details, and if they go through this process, CISE is installed. However, I am not certain what clicking the ‘OK’ button does, as I’m not an idiot and didn’t click it.

2. What you wanted to happen or see:

I wanted an antivirus software product that works well, and operates with the best interests of the end user in mind.

3. Why you think it is desirable:

Nagware is bad. Nagware is wrong. Nobody likes nagware. I purchase what I like, and I do not like nagware. If you want my money, you’ll do away with these practices. Your slogan is ‘Creating Trust Online’ - please act like it.

4. Any other information, screenshots etc:

I was using Comodo Antivirus for almost two years without issue, with one of those years being a paid subscription. I had let my subscription to the paid version lapse in anticipation of upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7. I upgraded my operating system last week, and found that the version of Comodo Antivirus I had been using was replaced by a new product called ‘Comodo Cloud Antivirus’. Since I was completely satisfied with both the free and paid versions I had used in Windows 7, I went ahead and installed this new version.

I have seen this tactic many times, by many products, over many years of being an IT professional. This sort of behavior is misleading, is dishonest, is not in any way welcome, and is, in my opinion, not far removed from rogue security software.

I will steel my nerves, and put up with these pop-ups a while longer, in the hopes that you will show more respect to your users (read: future paying customers), rather than lie to them for profit. I have praised Comodo to many people over the last couple of years; please don’t make me regret doing so.

THE POP-UP:

http://i.imgur.com/kft9ONh.jpg

THEWEB PAGE:

http://i.imgur.com/1lfNO3H.jpg

Hi Fireholder,
The only misleading statement in the pop-up, is that an extra standalone program (CISE) will be installed with the CCAV update which appears does not happen (Unintentional error IMO).
CISE is also noted in the release topic of Comodo Cloud Antivirus.
Comodo Cloud Antivirus 1.3.395640.279 Hotfix Version Released!!!
I would expect it may be included with future updates.

It is not a nag screen, it is a program update screen which does have the users best interest at heart.
Surely the update screen should be welcomed not ridiculed.
No one is asked for payment subscriptions or anything alike, this is in fact 100% false accusations.
No trials, no subscriptions, no payment sought, no scare tactics, just simply a program update.

I must be as you say an ‘idiot’, because I selected the OK button and installed the latest version of CCAV.
Now my so called nag screen will be gone until the next program update, or until I disable program updates in the GUI.

Sorry, I am not voting on a poll about false accusations.
Edit: I have now voted for the newly added fourth option, thanks.

BTW: You were not forced to install Comodo Cloud Antivirus, you could have installed Comodo Antivirus as you had previously stated using if that is your preference.
Comodo Internet Security 8.4.0.5076 build is released!

Thank you.

The only misleading statement in the pop-up, is that an extra standalone program (CISE) will be installed with the CCAV update which appears does not happen (Unintentional error IMO).

It is misleading because it calls it an ‘update’. It is not an update in any sense of the word. It is an UPGRADE to Comodo Internet Security Essentials, as indicated by clicking on the ‘Learn more…’ link, which I have already explained and shown.

Calling it an ‘update’ is completely false. It is not updating the current software to the latest version of that software. It is not updating antivirus definitions. It is asking you to give your permission to install OTHER software products, which is why there’s a button to accept this upgrade, and a very tiny option to decline the upgrade.

How is it an unintentional error to write code that causes specific behavior behind a pop-up asking for permission for that specific behavior? Did someone write it in their sleep and just lump it into the installation? It’s not an ‘error’ at all.

Furthermore, the only update option in settings says to ‘check for program updates’, not ‘optional upgrades’. The language is intentionally misleading, unless you’d like to claim Comodo’s program developers are dummies who don’t know how to English.

Program Updates = updates to the current program
Program Upgrades = new options, new features, increased functionality, etc…

Whether or not the CISE product being pushed by this pop-up is trialware or other free product is irrelevant. A good product will not nag its users to install other things they don’t want and have REPEATEDLY declined. - at the very least, include the following option on the pop-up:

[X] Do not ask me again

The Comodo product I had before kept itself up to date automatically, just like most other programs that incorporate streamlined, background updates.

BTW: no, I cannot install ‘Comodo Antivirus’, which is what I used previously.

Comodo Personal Product Options

http://i.imgur.com/loHKs9E.png

Clicking the ‘Comodo Antivirus’ option gives this

http://i.imgur.com/UUQ4IZs.jpg

Clicking the ‘Comodo Cloud Antivirus’ option gives this

http://i.imgur.com/w7jb9rP.jpg

As you can clearly see, it’s the same file name, and same file size.
You see, not being an idiot, I clicked on the ‘Comodo Antivirus’ option when I installed this program after upgrading to Windows 10. It did not give me the same product I had been using before, and from what I can tell by navigating Comodo’s website, the product I used before is no longer available. All you get is CCAV. Nothing else. Feel free to look for yourself.

You also completely ignored the fact that Comodo completely ignores the default browser of my operating system.

It does update to the latest CCAV.

How is it an unintentional error to write code that causes specific behavior behind a pop-up asking for permission for that specific behavior? Did someone write it in their sleep and just lump it into the installation? It's not an 'error' at all.

Furthermore, the only update option in settings says to ‘check for program updates’, not ‘optional upgrades’. The language is intentionally misleading, unless you’d like to claim Comodo’s program developers are dummies who don’t know how to English…

As I have said it did only install the latest CCAV.
The error is in the popup saying it will also install CISE when in fact it does not install CISE.
I suspect they are working on the popup for future versions.

The Comodo product I had before kept itself up to date automatically, just like most other programs that incorporate streamlined, background updates....
CCAV is still young, I would expect this behaviour to change as it matures.
BTW: no, I [b]cannot[/b] install 'Comodo Antivirus', which is what I used previously.... As you can clearly see, it's the same file name, and same file size. You see, not being an idiot, I clicked on the 'Comodo Antivirus' option when I installed this program after upgrading to Windows 10. It did not give me the same product I had been using before, and from what I can tell by navigating Comodo's website, the product I used before is no longer available. All you get is CCAV. Nothing else. Feel free to look for yourself.
Download CAV from the Forum where I had prevoiusly pointed. What you have found here is an error on the Comodo Antivirus hompage, as you say it does in fact download CCAV instead of CAV. https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/antivirus.php https://forums.comodo.com/report-comodo-forum-web-site-issues-b46.0/
You also completely ignored the fact that Comodo completely ignores the default browser of my operating system....
I thought it to be rather trivial, Comodo products have often used IE for connecting from within a program. I also remember this behaviour occurring with some other non Comodo products in the past. A browser can be set as default and still not be default for all file types and protocols. This is a separate matter than the topic title suggests.

Unfortunately you installed CCAV instead of CAV, because of the error of the download link on the CAV homepage.
The best thing I can suggest is to uninstall CCAV and install CAV using the download link below.
Direct download est 166 MB.
https://download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/4080/standalone/cav_installer.exe

Thank you.

Edit: I have reported the homepage download link issue.
CCAV instead of CAV downloading from CAVs homepage.

Note: i voted yes because i agree that “Nagware is dishonest and counter-productive to keeping satisfied users” based on the 3 options.

The voted doesn’t feels like its aimed towards the subject, you cant really vote, “no i like nagware” =)

And i dont mind that comodo install security feature CISE with CCAV.
but the Alert could be more informative that is gonna install a additional Security feature.

other than that :-TU

My next question was going to ask if it’s still in beta or something. Pretty quirky for a live release, at any rate. It’s an antivirus program, which the vast majority of users will install and expect the program to do the rest, and so it makes little sense to request permission to update itself every time.

I thought it to be rather trivial, Comodo products have often used IE for connecting from within a program. I also remember this behaviour occurring with some other non Comodo products in the past. A browser can be set as default and still not be default for all file types and protocols. This is a separate matter than the topic title suggests.

I only included it as an added annoyance, especially the irony of Comodo ignoring its own web browser.

Unfortunately you installed CCAV instead of CAV, because of the error of the download link on the CAV homepage. The best thing I can suggest is to uninstall CCAV and install CAV using the download link below. Direct download est 166 MB. Thank you.

Edit: I have reported the homepage download link issue.
CCAV instead of CAV downloading from CAVs homepage.

No, thank you. Both for submitting the report, and for giving me the direct link for CAV.
Thanks also for your understanding.
Mod edit: Fixed quote tag, Captainsticks.

Hi Fireholder,
Fair enough.

No, thank you. Both for submitting the report, and for giving me the direct link for CAV. Thanks also for your understanding.
You are welcome, I hope CAV (Instead of CCAV) is once again familiar. :)

Kind regards.

Thank you for submitting this Wish Request. I have now moved this to the WAITING AREA.

Please be sure to vote for your own wish, and for any other wishes you also support. It is also worthwhile to vote against wishes you think would be a waste of resources, as implementing those may slow down the wishes you would really like to see added.

Thanks again.