Manual bases.cav Not up to Date

Greetings,

I’ve been manually downloading the bases.cav file and importing it as I can’t get the regular update to work. I’ve been getting the file from this page:

I select the ver 5.8 & newer one.

This was working fine, but I went to download it today and even though the info on that page says that the latest version of the virus db is 34333 dated today, the file that gets downloaded is only updating me to db version 34215 and the file is dated Dec 30, 2021.

Can someone look into this and see why I’m not getting the latest db from the download?

Thanks,

Bawdyn

Hi Bawdyn,

Thank you for reporting, may i know your:

1. CIS/CFW/CAV version ?
  2. Windows version along with system bit type ?
  3. Is there any other security product installed on your machine?

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

Greetings,

1. CIS 12.0.0.6818 (last version compatible with Win XP SP3)
  2. Win XP SP3 32-bit
  3. None

I have been manually updating from the bases.cav file monthly since the automatic update stopped working ~Nov 2, 2021. It worked last in early January. I do not get any errors, the file update process works as usual (click the ?, select About, click Import Virus Database), but the db version does not change and it still says the last update was a month ago.

I use a download add-on that retains the creation date of the source file and the file I downloaded yesterday said it was created Dec 30, 2021. My version of CIS/OS/ect is irrelevant to the date of the file.

The download page says that the download file is updated every 2 days, but I think that it hasn’t been updated since the end of the year. Can you check this on your end?

Thanks
Bawdyn

Hi Bawdyn,

Let me check with the team and get back to you.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

Hi Bawdyn,

Sorry for the inconvenience, the Minimum requirement for working of CIS requires OS Windows 7 SP1.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

My version of OS is not the problem. I have not changed the version of CIS that I’ve been using and it continues to function normally.

The DB file is not being updated on your website seems to be the issue. Here is more evidence for this:

• I downloaded the DB file again on a Win 10 pc and did a binary file compare (the DOS fc command) and the files were identical.
  • I found the installed DB file (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Comodo\Cis\signatures\b0034215.cav) and did the binary file compare and it is also identical.

Please confirm that the download DB file, that is supposed to be updated every 2 days, has not been updated since Dec 30. If you confirm this then please have the file updated again.

Thanks
Bawdyn

Hi Bawdyn,

We will check and update you.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

Hi Bawdyn,

After importing the bases.cav, it will update only the fullbase v34215 as the fullbase is generated on Dec 31, 2021.
Just click update in the CIS gui to download the further incremental bases released after this fullbase(v34215).

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

Greetings,

Yes, you have confirmed the problem with the download file. My problem is that I cannot download the incremental updates. It is this same problem as discussed in this post:

https://forums.comodo.com/antivirus-help-cis/suddenly-cannot-update-comodo-antivirus-t127554.0.html

I get the error:
Task: Check for recognizer updates
Status: The message received was unexpected or badly formatted.

All tasks have the red X and status is Error.

The download page (Comodo Anti Malware Database Latest Version & Additions 2022) says this:

The complete Comodo Internet Security database is available for download. This is useful for those users that wish to manually replace the existing database or would like access to the database for other reasons. The complete, downloadable database is updated approximately every 2 days so may not contain all the latest definitions as shown in the table above.

This was true up until the end of 2021. If this is a permanent change to how you are going to do this download, then you should change the website to say that and then I will go and look for another anti-virus that still works.

Or if you can give me a link where I can manually download the incremental updates I can update that way.

Thanks
Bawdyn

Hi Bawdyn,

could you please check your inbox for pm and respond.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT