Lost files through wiper

I have used comodo for months now and always been impressed, then today I downloaded the help file and tried the wiper function, it went crazy wiping everything. its wiped out half my hard drive :frowning: all my family photos gone all my work files goneā€¦ and taken up a huge chunk of my hard drive why???
I am gutted can anyone please please help?

Sad to say but wipe means wipe dude, no hope of recovery I believe, youā€™re toast for your files & photos. Good luck in recovering them though sincerely :stuck_out_tongue:
Xman

Thanks Xman, Yes I had a feeling this was the case and have read of this happening to couple of people now:( Guess there is a lesson to learn there about backing up the whole system every once in a while.
On a different note I guess it shows Comodo wiper works well :o 88) :cry:

You may as well give Recuva a shot Download Recuva | Recover deleted files, free!, You never know.

Cheers
Shaun

Though not for recovering the lost files, I think the below given link may help you recover some of the ā€˜extra usedā€™ space by CSC, if any.

Hi,

Wiper has 2 major functions:

• the first one is used for actual wiping (ā€œDisk0ā€)
  • the second one is used to free space on the userā€™s pc by wiping the already deleted files (ā€œFree spaceā€)

We assume you wanted to free up some space but instead you wiped your personal data from your computer. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do to help you.

Ah! It wasnā€™t just me! When I wiped the ā€œFREE SPACEā€ that is when it wiped out most of my operating system files, and did not free up any space for me to have accessible-- which is what I thought it would do.

There is clearly alot more I need to understand about computers before using Comodo products, except for the Internet Security setup.

The loss of usable memory also made it impossible to undo the damage instead of hitting the ā€œFinalizeā€ key. My computer was lost in a time warp where no matter what I did it appeared at that same moment in time every time I restarted it and no action I took was ā€˜savedā€™ on the machine.

Please see this post: Wiper - How to avoid erasing important files.

It provides a more detailed description of wiper and its options.

I did select ā€œfree space.ā€

I think some users have inadvertently selected and wiped ā€œdisk0ā€ alsoā€¦so, my intent was to help prevent that mistake from happening to others. However, it seems that some people have had problems even when they selected to wipe only ā€œfree spaceā€ (as in your case).

It may be helpful if you could provide some additional information:

• CPU (32 bit or 64 bit)
  • Operating System information (including Service Pack Version)
  • Actively-running security and utility applications
  • Specific symptoms of the bug (basically, whatever you managed to deduce inspite of your crippled computer)
  • Specific steps you have taken to try to resolve it. (did you reinstall windows? use a recovery program?)
  • Brief description of your Defense+ and Firewall+ mode, plus mention if you modified any ADVANCED settings
  • If your pc reboots or you have a BSOD?
  • Report if you are using an Administrator account Or a Limited User account. Vista users please Report if you have UAC Disabled or Enabled

The information requested above may not help get your data and system back, but it may help the developers solve any potential bugs by tracking the details of each instance.

Thanks,
whoop

Additional information per request:
* CPU (32 bit or 64 bit) ā€“ 2.80 GHZ (?)
* Operating System information (including Service Pack Version) ā€“ Windows XP, SP3
* Actively-running security and utility applications ā€“ Comodo Internert Security
* Specific symptoms of the bug (basically, whatever you managed to deduce inspite of your crippled computer) ā€“ from my memory, the computer had ā€œ0ā€ available memory, as told to me by Comodo, and it suggested I delete restore points to get memory, but I wasnā€™t allowed to do this because I had no memory.
* Specific steps you have taken to try to resolve it. (did you reinstall windows? use a recovery program?) ā€“ I tried to do some things in ā€œSafeā€ mode first (this is when I ā€œwiped myself!ā€, and when nothing worked I reinstalled Windows, using the Windows XP Professional disk my vendor (reluctantly) sent me. I had to do a clean install because otherwise I would return to the loop-de-loop moment in time when Comodo says I can make the changes permanent or restore (which wasnā€™t true; of course I tried to restore). After reinstalling I was without any sound drivers, but stumbled around and finally got my sound back 4 days later after seeking and downloading various drivers. It seems when I actually get something fixed it is quite by accident (I was somewhat trouble-free when I could revert to ā€œGO BAAAACK!ā€ and it almost always would).
* Brief description of your Defense+ and Firewall+ mode, plus mention if you modified any ADVANCED settings ā€“ I may not remember all details but I did have it set to ā€˜paranoidā€™ mode knowing my system wasnā€™t perfectly clean to begin with.
* If your pc reboots or you have a BSOD? ā€“ My system re-booting sometimes had an issue rebooting and I could press F8 to go get it to boot. BUT it would revert to that really bad ā€œmoment in timeā€ with the Comodo screen telling me ā€œpermanent or restoreā€ and then telling me I had no memory and nothing I tried to do or delete ā€˜took.ā€™
* Report if you are using an Administrator account Or a Limited User account. Vista users please Report if you have UAC Disabled or Enabled ā€“ I was administrator in safe mode but I do not believe I was in normal mode.

As best as I can tell you, thatā€™s my story : )

[Addendum below added by Whoop]

Oops! I forgot to ask one important piece of informationā€¦
What version of Comodo System Cleaner were you using?

Iā€™m afraid I donā€™t know what version of Comodo System Cleaner I was using but I am sure I first downloaded it in the last 30 days or so.

Thank you for all your posts. We will most certainly look into this.

I guess I shouldnā€™t be surprised seeing a topic on using the wiper and itā€™s outcomes. It was the first time using Wiper and I wasnā€™t 100% sure of how it was to work. I do remember checking free space and government standard files or something like that. I donā€™t remember the version of it, but it was the version previous to the most current version (since I realized this version of software i installed this past week is newer)

My system is a 32 bit, Windows Vista, Comodo security all the way with the exception of Windows Defender. I donā€™t remember my settings really but I pretty much kept it default settings for the version I had. I have a bios section before booting

I had a user account but it was adminstration level and had my admin account disabled.

Thatā€™s all I really knowā€¦