Log database file corrupt twice despite OS re-install in between [MN] [v6]

W7 Ultimate 32bit
CIS6

On a spare laptop I have CIS6 installed and everything appeared fine, diagnostics showed no errors.
When attempting to open the log I got an error message along the lines of
-CIS cannot open C/Program Data/Comodo/Firewall Pro/cislogs.sdb-
upon closing the error message the log would open but appeared “stuck” the data/figures where not changing
and if I tried opening in further detail ie Home/AV events/Firewall events/D+ events etc log would open but showed no data/figures at all, upon trying to delete or refresh the log also nothing happened.

I decided to reformat the drive and re-install a fresh copy of windows which I did, I then installed windows updates and finally CIS6, nothing else, I configured according to Chirons guide but before first reboot I checked the logs all was good and appeared normal as it should, I then rebooted and continued to configure CIS a few minutes later I was finished.
I then checked the log and to my surprise the same problem had returned even the same figures showing in the log main page ??? very confusing indeed.
I have since deleted cislogs.sdb and it seems to have solved the issue, CIS has "regenerated the cislogs.sdb folder and all appears well.

I’m unsure whether to make a full report or put it down to some anomaly ?

has anyone else had this or similar happen ?

Puzzling indeed

Was the log file on the same disk you re-formatted?

If so we’d really appreciate it if you would edit your first post to create a bug report in standard format

Best wishes

Mouse

It was on the same disk although there was a partition - (C:) OS and (D:) windows backup
After reformatting I installed the windows updates and then CIS, I then deleted (D:) creating 1 main partition, I never mentioned this yesterday but after thinking about it this has to be releated…
I will do a standard format report as soon as I have time
Thanks

That’s that’s very good of you. New format now, a bit shorter. :slight_smile:

A. THE BUG/ISSUE (Varies from issue to issue)
-Log database file corrupton on two occasions despite OS re-install in between, When attempting to open the log I got an error message along the lines of
CIS cannot open C/Program Data/Comodo/Firewall Pro/cislogs.sdb-
upon closing the error message the log would open but appeared “stuck” the data/figures where not changing

1. What actually happened or U actually saw:
    -Before re-install CIS6 log was “stuck” showing the same figures/data, upon opening the log there where no figures/data in any of the sub-logs ie AV events/Firewall events/D+ events etc, after re-installing w7 I installed windows updates and then CIS6, I then proceeded to configure CIS as in Chirons guide -Gizmo's Best - The best of Gizmo's Freeware
    before the first reboot I checked the log and it appeared correct,I completed configuration as in Chirons guide then re partitioned the HDD (C:) OS and (D:) windows backup I deleted (D:) creating 1 main partition Rebooted upon checking the log the same error had occured, the figures on the log home page where identical to the “stuck” log in the original copy of windows.
  2. If not obvious, what U expected to happen or see:
    -A fresh working log
  3. Can U reproduce the problem & if so how reliably?:
    -No
  4. If you can, precise steps to reproduce it. If not say what you did before it happened:
    -N/A
  5. If a software compatibility problem have U tried the conflict FAQ?:
    N/A
  6. Any software except CIS/OS involved? If so give name, exact version, & download link:
    N/A
  7. Any other information, eg your guess at the cause, how U tried to fix it etc:
    -I deleted cislogs.sdb and it seems to have solved the issue, CIS has "regenerated the cislogs.sdb folder and all appears well.
    Always attach: Diagnostics file, Killswitch processes, dump (if freeze/crash). If complex: CIS logs & config, screenshots, video.

B. YOUR SETUP (Likely the same from issue to issue, users can copy forward)

1. CIS version & configuration:
    -CIS 6.0 260739 2674 proactive config as in this guide-Gizmo's Best - The best of Gizmo's Freeware
  2. Have U updated (without uninstall) from a previous version of CIS:
    -No
    if so, have U tried a a clean reinstall - if not please do?:
    -Yes see above
  3. Have U imported a config from a previous version of CIS:
    -No
    if so, have U tried a standard config - if not please do:
    -N/A
  4. Have U made any other major changes to the default config? (egs here.):
    -N/A
  5. OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, & virtual machine used :
    -Windows 7, 32bit, UAC enabled, Admin acc,
  6. Other security & sandbox software a) currently installed b) installed since last OS install:
    -None

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sorry the numbers did not come out in the new format - fixed now.

Mouse

Ok cool
anything more I can do as usual pls don’t hesitate to ask

Thanks

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Only thing I don’t understand here is how the sdb could have remained corrupt through a reformat. Did you reformat the drive on which the sdb file was sitting? (Partition does not always destroy the files).

I’m puzzled also,
I reformatted the main (c:) drive where the OS was written and re-installed, then deleted the (D:) backup partition.
The re-corruption was a mirror image of the first corruption and occurred before I deleted the partition, I can only assume they are somehow related but am stumped as to how.
sorry I cannot provide more insight I’m learning as I go.
Thanks

Hmm which drive was the .sdb file on?

I think it would have been on the same drive as the OS (C:) which was the drive that got reformatted.
Is it possible that CIS “linked to” and copied the .sdb file from the (D:) drive before I deleted it ?
As I say this is past my level of knowledge but if I had to make a guess it would be along this path ???

Well since it’s unclear I’ll forward it to format verified so that QA will look at it, but not add it to the mod’s tracker yet. Hope that’s OK

Best wishes

Mouse

No worries
I wish I could shed more light on the matter but like I said… over my head
It doesn’t help that it was a spare laptop a family member had been using and I never spent anytime exploring it
Thanks again for your time I realize it’s valuable
:-TU

No problem. Thanks for yours, too.

Can you please check and see if this is fixed with the newest version? Please let us know whether it is fixed or you are still experiencing the problem.

Thank you.

PM sent.

As it appears that the issue has not returned I will temporarily move this to Resolved.

Please let me know if the problem returns and I can move it back.

Thank you.