Laptop Recommendation - Urgent

There really isn’t much difference for regular users between Win8 Pro and the regular version. It’s mostly things that you would never use. For the processor I’d repeat to go with AMD. They give you more ■■■■ for the buck although the Intel i5 and i7’s are somewhat faster. The higher end AMD A8 and A10 will outperform an i3 and in some uses, rival an i5 (mostly in games). An AMD will cost less than an i3 and be just as good and probably better.

I don’t think an SSD is necessary. Especially if you’re not doing any gaming. As was said, 4gigs of RAM is sufficient for most uses.

I find 15.6 to be a good screen size. 14 looks too small but it’s up to the individual what they think they need. A bigger screen means less scrolling while browsing.

Should I go for touch screen too?

HP Pavilion 15-e001ax Notebook PC - INR 41,990
Processor
AMD Quad-Core A10-5750M APU (2.5 GHz, 4 MB cache)
RAM
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Hard Disk
1 TB 5400 rpm SATA
Display
15.6"
Graphic Card
AMD Radeon HD 8650M/8670M Dual GPU (1 GB DDR3 dedicated)

HP Pavilion 15-e015tx Notebook PC - INR 46,990
Processor
Intel® Core™ i5-3230M (2.6 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache)
RAM
4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Hard Disk
1 TB 5400 rpm SATA
Display
15.6"
Graphic Card
AMD Radeon HD 8670M (1 GB DDR3 dedicated)

Which should I go with?

Will opt for the first one with AMD A10
Why ?

Big diference according to prise , but not much diverence according performance AMD 10 even better for multitasking .

Watch comparision video AMD Productivity Paradox -- AMD A10 vs Intel i5 - YouTube

In my opinion, touch screens on a laptop are more trouble than use. You have to reach too much and a mouse is much more accurate. That’s why the touch tiles in Win8 are so big. Plus, you keep getting the screen dirty (especially if you just ate fried chicken :)). That’s just my opinion though, others may like them.

Like I said, more ■■■■ for the buck with AMD. Especially on laptops.

HP Pavilion 15-e017tx Notebook PC - INR 39,490
Processor
Intel® Core™ i3-3110M (2.4 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache)
RAM
4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Hard Disk
500 GB 5400 rpm SATA
Display
15.6"
Graphic Card
AMD Radeon HD 8670M (2 GB DDR3 dedicated)

This is HP best seller on website.

Of all 3 laptops, do you think 1st one i.e HP Pavilion 15-e001ax Notebook PC - INR 41,990 is the best? It has 1 GB graphic card, is it good?

On HP website, no mention of DVD drive for any laptops (checked many laptops), how do I find if the laptops have DVD drive & also if they provide OS & Drivers discs?

I think the AMD one is the best but the i3 one is not bad seeing as it has a discrete graphics card. You said no gaming though so the size of video RAM really doesn’t matter. One GB is more than enough. Keep in mind that the i3 is a dual core chip while the AMD is a quad and that it has twice as much RAM. The best thing about the i3 machine is the price.

The i3 is dual core, but has 4 logical processors.

Intel is the way to go. Intel’s architecture is superior in performance. If your going to go with AMD then you want at least an AMD Phenom II X4. That’s the same basic range as an i5 (third generation). Brand name I would go with Toshiba, ASUS or HP.

The AMD A8 is the same architecture as the Phenom II which is a desktop chip. The A10 is based on the Piledriver chip. The only way Intel is better in a laptop is if it’s at least an i5 with a discrete AMD or Nvidia graphics card. However, such a machine will cost significantly more than an AMD APU equipped laptop. I personally would stay away from Toshiba. ASUS is very good but also high priced. I still say the HP-AMD combination will give the best performance to cost ratio and you don’t need a dual graphics model.

I respect your opinion. None the less your obviously misinformed or insanely confused. The Intel i is the big dog in the room.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A8-5500+APU

That site is completely irrelevant to this thread. It is about desktop processors where the picture is very different from the laptop field. Yes the APU’s are not very strong in a desktop where you would want an Intel or a 6 or 8 core AMD. You would also want a discrete graphics card. In laptops, the mobile APU’s are an excellent choice and can handle even the latest games without a discrete GPU. The mobile Intel’s can not do that nearly as well.

You are doing nothing but confusing the issue by bringing the desktop environment into the discussion and recommending an AMD chip which isn’t even used in laptops.

Thanxx frds for all your help & time.

As recommended here by you I checked out HP, Lenova, Asus & Toshiba, India website quite extensively. I found out HP is the most reasonable one compared to others, others are quite costly with the same specs.

I also checked out with different processors & noticed i7 is way beyond my budget, i5 i.e Intel Core i5-3230M Processor starts at min 43,000 INR with 4 GB RAM, 500 HDD & Intel HD Graphics 4000, i3 i.e Intel Core i3-3110M Processor starts at min 35,000 INR with 4 GB RAM, 500 HDD & Intel HD Graphics 4000, AMD i.e AMD Quad-Core A10-5750M Processor is at 42,000 INR with 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD & AMD Radeon HD 8650M/8670M Dual GPU (1 GB DDR3 dedicated).

I was checking flipkart i.e online seller website & I found 2 laptops within my budget. One is the AMD one which I have already mentioned in previous posts & other is i5 one. I need your suggestions one last time on this topic.

Details of the laptops & couple of queries below

Brand HP SAMSUNG
Official Price Rs. 41990 Rs. 41036
Flipkart Price Rs. 41100 Rs. 35770, 5% off on Credit Cards
CD - CD
Processor APU Quad Core A10 Core i5 (3rd Generation)
Variant 5750M 3230M
Chipset A76M H77 Express
Brand AMD Intel
Clock Speed 2.5 GHz 2.6 GHz
TurboCoreTechnology Upto 3.5 GHz Turbo Boost Upto 3.2 GHz
Cache 4 MB 3 MB
Memory Slots 2 (Unused Slot - 0) 2 (Unused Slot - 1)
System Memory 8 GB DDR3 4 GB DDR3
Hardware Interface SATA SATA II
HDD Capacity 1 TB 750 GB
Read/Write Speed 8x -
Optical Drive SuperMulti DVD RW Drive SuperMulti Drive
DualLayerSupport Dual Layer Support Screen Type HD BrightView LED Backlit HD LED Anti Reflective
Dedicated GM DDR3 -
" Capacity 1 GB -
Graphic Processor AMD Radeon HD 8650G and Intel HD Graphics 4000
AMD Mobility Radeon HD 8670M
Web Camera HP TrueVision HD Webcam 1.3 Megapixel
Pointer Device Touchpad, MultiTouchGestureSupport Touchpad
Keyboard Island Keyboard Island Keyboard with Numeric Keypad
Sound Dual Speakers Stereo Speakers (1.5 Watts x 2)
High Definition Audio, DTS Sound+ SoundAlive
Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps 10/100/1000 Gigabit
USB Port 1 x USB 2.0, 2 x USB 3.0 2 x USB 2.0, 2 x USB 3.0
HDMI Port HDMI Port with HDCP Support HDMI Port
Multi Card Slot Multi Card Slot 3-in-1 Card Reader
Other Ports 1 x Headphone 1 x Headphone Out
Out/Microphone-in Combo Jack

I have removed similar features from the chart.

So which one do you think is the best?

By the way, Core i5 3rd Gen & Intel Core i5 3rd Gen is different? FlipKart in selection category lists both.

AMD A10 is newer than A8, right?

I will take the HP one :-TU

The HP has twice as much memory and greatly superior graphics. This may not matter if you’re just going to be doing basic things on the machine. It might be nice though, to know you do have that capability if you decide to try gaming or do more demanding things. If you know you’re never going to need the extra resources, the Samsung would do very well and the i5 is a little better in non graphics intensive applications. Actually, for basic computing needs, both machines are overkill with more than enough power.

Yes the A10 is more powerful than an A8 but not necessarily newer. It’s newer than the first generation Llano A8 like I have but there are newer A8’s in the Trinity line. I think the 2 Intel designations are the same.

Thank You for your support guys.

We are getting HP Pavilion 15-e001ax Notebook PC.

I don’t think you’ll ever regret the decision. It’s a very nice machine.

I will post the experience when we get & use the machine.

There’s a good idea to spare laptop battery using it plugged when it’s possible. I use mine in “Battery protection mode” when it’s 50%-60% charged. Though I guess it depends.