Issues with CIS 6.2 hanging up since updating[M495][V6]

Sure I can help if I can.

I have EMET 3.0 on my 2 system with both systems on Win 7 32bit.

And I have EMET 3.0 on Recommended Settings. And I get no issues at all.

I have had EMET on Maximum settings but EMET runs better on my Windoes system using the Recommended settings.

I know EMET 4.0 is still newish and It has a few problems on what I’ve seen on Windows Forum.

So Try EMET 3.0 and see if you still get the same problems

Good Luck

Nige

P.S. I am puzzled that you have problems still when you did not have EMET 4.0 on your 3 systems. And did you reboot after you uninstalling EMET 4.0 ?

Edit: To Add extra info

@ AimleeLW, is this not the same issue which you have already created a bug report for here?

In a sense I guess yes, but this is for all three systems, and when I made the first bug report I did not know what was causing the issue or about the other two systems. I’m sorry if I have caused any issue if I have duplicated with another bug report, if you have any suggestions on how I should continue I would appreciate this, thanks :slight_smile:

To answer Nige_39, sadly once EMET 4.0 is installed it seems uninstalling it has no affect on resolving the issue, it remains the same, if can do a system restore or backed up image it is possible to reverse the ‘damage’ done by EMET 4.0, other then that looks like a re-install of windows is the only way forwards, I believe the issues I and many others have faced is EMET 4.0 has made some changes to windows policies that has been affecting applications to the point they freeze or hang, why certain applications I don’t know, but from the ones I have seen maybe to do with them hooking deep into windows, but this is only a guess :-\

I believe it is the same issue. Therefore, I will merge this with the existing bug report. That way the devs will have improved information. I’ll also inform them directly that it has been seen on three different computers.

Thank you.

Sorry for duplicating the report, and thanks for merging them, your help has been very much appreciated in helping to resolve the issue Chiron, thanks again :-TU

I think I have a solution to reverse the issue EMET 4.0 causes now, have applied the solution to my mom and dad’s computers earlier, they seem to be working okay right now, but will reboot them both tomorrow and give them try to see if working okay still, thanks to Nige_39 for giving me the idea for part of the solution :-TU

This is the solution I came up with:-

1. Boot into safe mode. Rename cmdagent.exe to cmdagent.exx. Reboot.

2. Open EMET 4.0, set Address space layout randomization (ASLR) and Certificate Pinning to disabled. Reboot.

3. Un-install EMET 4.0. Install EMET 3.0 , uninstall EMET 3.0. Reboot.

If EMET 4.0 was previously uninstalled can just install with recommend settings, will work the same. What I cant answer is whether there is any real need to install EMET 3.0, but I tried this so EMET 3.0 would overwrite anything changed by EMET 4.0, seems to have worked so far :slight_smile:

I will keep you updated Chiron to whether this actually has worked, so far no more hang ups or freezes have occurred, so I’m crossing my fingers my solution has fixed the issues, but not sure why EMET 4.0 affects CIS so badly :-\

Oooops…missed a step, guess was abit to caught up in relief of finding a solution :-[

I revised my solution as missed something I did :-[

This is the solution I came up with:-

1. Boot into safe mode. Rename cmdagent.exe to cmdagent.exx. Reboot.

2. Open EMET 4.0, set Address space layout randomization (ASLR) and Certificate Pinning to disabled. Reboot.

3. Un-install EMET 4.0. Install EMET 3.0 , uninstall EMET 3.0.

4. Rename cmdagent.exx to cmdagent.exe. Reboot.

The devs have not been able to reproduce this issue. Can you please provide more information, including a full dump through KillSwitch while this is happening.

Also, are you still experiencing this with CIS version 6.3.294583.2937?

Thanks. PM sent.

I have CIS (6.3.294583.2937) and EMET (4.0.4913.26122) installed, so far have not seen any occurrence’s of the reported issue, hopefully issue has been resolved now, but will see how it goes over next few days or so, should be enough time for any issues to occur :slight_smile:

Thank you for checking this. In that case I will move this to Resolved.

Let me know if the issue returns.