Issues with CIS 6.2 hanging up since updating[M495][V6]

A. THE BUG/ISSUE (Varies from issue to issue)
[ol]- Summary - Give a clear summary in the topic subject, NOT here.
The interface only opens once when I try to open it, after that it will no longer open until computer is reset, also when open if I click on anything CIS hangs up and becomes unresponsive, if I click on Scan and try to do a scan this also hangs up and becomes unresponsive making computer hang to, only way out is to power off.

• Can U reproduce the problem & if so how reliably?:
    Everytime time I try to open CIS.
  • If U can, exact steps to reproduce. If not, exactly what U did & what happened:
    Open CIS from desktop shortcut, system tray or widget.
  • If not obvious, what U expected to happen:
    For CIS to open and work without hanging up, or hanging computer.
  • If a software compatibility problem have U tried the conflict FAQ?:
    Yes, nothing has worked so far.
  • Any software except CIS/OS involved? If so - name, & exact version:
    N/A
  • Any other information, eg your guess at the cause, how U tried to fix it etc:
    Have tried to re-install CIS many times, also have done a system restore.
  • Always attach - Diagnostics file, Watch Activity process list, dump if
    freeze/crash. (If complex - CIS logs & config, screenshots, video, zipped program - not m’ware)

[/ol]

Attached diagnostic report.

B. YOUR SETUP (Likely the same for each issue, so you can copy forward)
[ol]- Exact CIS version & configuration:
Currently on Proactive. But have tried defualt configuration and problem persists.

• Modules enabled & level. D+/HIPS, Autosandbox/BBlocker, Firewall, & AV:
    All modules.
  • Have U made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.):
    Yes, but problem persists no matter what I have tried.
  • Have U updated (without uninstall) from a CIS 5?:
    No. originally updated from CIS 6.1
    [li]if so, have U tried a a clean reinstall - if not please do?:
    Yes, have tried numerous times, even using safe mode to remove left overs.
    I have also used the Comodo uninstall tools.
    [/li]- Have U imported a config from a previous version of CIS:
    No. configuration was fresh too.
    [li]if so, have U tried a standard config - if not please do:
    Yes, the problem remains the same.
    [/li]- OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, V.Machine used:
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1
    UAC on and set to windows default
    Admin account
    Not a V.Machine
  • Other security/s’box software a) currently installed b) installed since OS: a= b=
    Emsisoft Anti-malware 7.0.0.25 (free)
    Malwarebytes Antii-malware 1.75 (free)
    I uninstalled EMET 4.0 to check for conflict but issue persists regardless!
    [/ol]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Have uninstalled and reinstalled CIS 6.2, so far all working well, but is to early to tell right now :-\

I did the following:-

1. Uninstalled and rebooted.

2. Run uninstall tool CIS+Removal+Tool - mods.bat, then rebooted.

3. Uninstalled both Emsisoft anti-malware and Malwarebytes anti-malware, rebooted for both.

4. I removed left over folders, files and registry keys as much as I could find, rebooted again.

5. Downloaded fresh installer for CIS 6.2 from CNET, installed and allowed it to reboot when required it.

I’am running on default configuration at the moment, have rebooted again, currently done 1 rating scan, and now doing a full scan, interface and scan window both working normally and as expected they should, will post more if things change :slight_smile:

Okay, please let me know if you have any more trouble with it.

If you don’t have any trouble within the next few days I’ll just move this report to Resolved.

Thank you.

Okay no problem, I will let you know one way or another if issue is resolved. I’m currently going through cycles of using computer, opening interface / running a scan, and rebooting computer, so far the issue hasn’t happened anymore, but still kinda early yet. I have changed some settings since all working okay so far and all working well since, so looking good so far :-TU

Only thing I haven’t enabled that I had previously is ‘Create rules for safe applications’ on both HIPS Settings and Firewall, not sure if this is relevant or not :-\

I’m not sure. If you are able to please try this and see if it makes a difference.

Thank you.

I have just enabled ‘Create rules for safe applications’ for both the firewall and hips, will let you know if issue returns, thanks for all your help :-TU

Have had no more issues after enabling ‘Create rules for safe applications’, also have installed EMET 4.0, have opened / closed interface and done a number of scans, rebooted and done tests again, still no sign of previous issues, so I think we can call this resolved :slight_smile:

I will keep an eye on this for a few days more, but I think whatever was causing the original hang ups has now been resolved, but I will report any further issues should they occur.

Thanks Chiron for all your help, was much appreciated, I’m glad that my CIS is back to normal now so can at last enjoy all the hard work the devs have put into the latest update :slight_smile:

Okay.

I will move this to Resolved. Please let me know if any problems do resurface.

Sadly, I have just gotten a PM from AimeeLW letting me know the bug is not fixed. Thus, I have moved it back and am awaiting some more information before forwarding it.

This issue seem to be random and intermittent, can boot up with this issue, or can suddenly just happen out of the blue, have tried uninstalling different software that I thought may conflict like Softperfect ramdisk, but issue remains, I find terminating cmdagent.exe and running diagnostic temporary fixes things, there’s no time factor, I can open CIS and use it just the once or it may carry on working for minutes or hours, then issue comes back, I noticed increased disk activity when CIS starts having this issue, and when issue has fully returned and I try to open CIS hard drive churns, as to a cause I dont know at this point :frowning:

Please attach the Watch Activity process list to your first post and I will forward this report to the devs.

This can be optained by going to the Advanced tasks section of the task window. Then click on the icon for “Watch Activity”. This will open KillSwitch. Then, click on the drop-down menu labeled KillSwitch and select “Save Current View”. Then put the file which is created in a zip file and attach it to your first post. This is the simplest way to do that.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

Thank you very much for your report in standard format, with all information supplied. The care you have taken is much appreciated by Comodo, and will increase the likelihood that this bug can be fixed.

Developers may or may not communicate with you in the forum or by PM/IM, depending on time availability and need. Because you have supplied complete information they may be able to replicate and fix the bug without doing so.

Many thanks again.

Can you check and see what happens if EMET is disabled?

I have uninstalled EMET 4.0, also since initial report I have uninstalled Emsisoft AM and MBAM, the last thing I uninstalled was Softperfect ramdisk.

The biggest problem seems to be its randomness, so CIS can work fine for best part of the day, then suddenly out of the blue it starts hanging up, since last reinstall its not been hanging the system anymore, so I can now terminate cmdagent.exe and run diagnostic when it pops up, during last time CIS hanged up I noticed both Killswitch and Autoruns no longer worked either, KS wouldnt launch, AR would try to intialise but would hang, so I feel if theres some sort of conflict :-\

If possible open KillSwitch the next time this occurs, or immediately after. Then, right-click and choose the option to “Create Full Dump”. Then, upload that to a file sharing site, such as this one and post a link to it in your initial post.

Thanks.

I have re-installed Softperfect ramdisk and set up a 4Gb ramdisk like i had originally installed prior to updating to CIS 6.2, I have left the configuration profile as Internet Security which I have been using since uninstalling Softperfect ramdisk, will see if any more issues occur, has to be some relation to uninstalling this and CIS 6.2 working normally since, have only done two changes to system since last issues occurred, so issue has to be related to one of these changes.

Change 1) Uninstalled Softperfect ramdisk.

Change 2) Switched to Internet Security profile, was using from Proactive profile previously.

Will wait let you know if issue comes back, if it doesnt I will try switching back to Proactive profile, then see if it comes back that way, hopefully now starting to narrow possible cause down to these one of these two changes :slight_smile:

Thank you.

Please let me know what you find.

I have had three computers affected by this issue, where EMET 4.0 was installed prior to either updating or installing 6.2 CIS suffers hang ups / freezes, when it does often will cause system to hang or freeze too.

A. THE BUG/ISSUE (Varies from issue to issue)
[ol]- Summary - Give a clear summary in the topic subject, NOT here.

• Can U reproduce the problem & if so how reliably?:
    Every time system boots to desktop, even if system is responsive trying to use CIS causes a hang up.
  • If U can, exact steps to reproduce. If not, exactly what U did & what happened:
    Power on computer, let it boot to desktop, try to launch a program (eg. Firefox) or to open CIS.
  • If not obvious, what U expected to happen:
    For CIS and system not to become unresponsive.
  • If a software compatibility problem have U tried the conflict FAQ?:
    Yes, but has not helped.
  • Any software except CIS/OS involved? If so - name, & exact version:
    Microsoft EMET 4.0
  • Any other information, eg your guess at the cause, how U tried to fix it etc:
    I’m not sure what the exact issue is, having EMET 4.0 installed prior to updating or installing CIS 6.2 seems to trigger the issue, still having issues fixing issue on two of the systems affected.

One way to temporary get around situation when CIS hangs is to try to terminate cmdagent.exe, this isnt always possible when system has hanged to or is unresponsive,

• Always attach - Diagnostics file, Watch Activity process list, dump if freeze/crash. (If complex - CIS logs & config, screenshots, video, zipped program - not m’ware)
    This is not possible due to nature of the issue, system hangs or CIS
    [/ol]

B. YOUR SETUP (Likely the same for each issue, so you can copy forward)
[ol]- Exact CIS version & configuration:
Internet Security profile, using default settings.

• Modules enabled & level. D+/HIPS, Autosandbox/BBlocker, Firewall, & AV:
    Only module disabled is HIPS. All using default configuration.
  • Have U made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.):
    Have tried both default settings and turning settings on/off when possible, only way to make CIS at times responsive is to terminate cmdagent.exe and run diagnostics, then often can access configuration if system is responsive enough to terminate in first place.
  • Have U updated (without uninstall) from a CIS 5?:
    No, two systems are relatively new and have fresh installs of Windows 7 and CIS v6.1
    [li]if so, have U tried a a clean reinstall - if not please do?:
    Yes, have partially resolved two of the three systems affected.
    My computer I now have CIS 6.2 installed and working.
    Dad’s computer have been able to re-install CIS 6.1, but Advanced settings hangs after first use. whenever I try to install CIS 6.2 it hangs on next boot up.
    Mom’s computer still having hang ups and not been able to re-install. Will attempt to do deeper removal of CIS to see if can resolve this.
    [/li]- Have U imported a config from a previous version of CIS:
    No, just initially updated from CIS 6.1 to 6.2
    [li]if so, have U tried a standard config - if not please do:
    Yes, still have the same issues.
    [/li]- OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, V.Machine used:
    All systems are Windows 7 64 bit SP1
    Admin account
    These are not VM’s
  • Other security/s’box software a) currently installed b) installed since OS: a= b=
    EMET 4.0
    [/ol]

Hi AimeeLW,

One Question do you have EMET 4.0 on Maximum Settings or Recommended Settings ?

I was using recommend settings at the time, have since uninstalled EMET 4.0 on all three computers, but have been having same issue since.

Have been dealing with Chiron since my first bug report, but can use all the help I can get :slight_smile: