ISE - Blue Screen on XP system

I keep a XP PC for some legacy tasks and decided to update Comodo to perform some temporary tasks while connected to the internet.

The PC is now running Comodo Firewall 10 (10.0.1.6223) and I guess the update installed the new (?) Internet Security Essentials from Comodo.

Unfortunately, when the PC is rebooted, I have been seeing a blue screen error: “driver unloaded without cancelling pending operations” and the driver is identified as isedrv.sys.

I have renamed isedrv.sys to isedrv.sys.old and the PC boots up correctly.

Is this a known issue?

Am I best uninstalling Internet Security Essentials on the affected PC or is there a known fix?

Try to rename the driver back an uninstall from control panel, reboot when uninstall completes. Then install using the standalone installer here, reboot when install finishes and see if issue persists.

Many thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately, I got the blue screen during the installation process this time.

I’ve gone back to renaming isedrv.sys in safe mode and that’s got the PC going again.

Can you share the memory dump? It should be either in C:\Windows\System32\minidump or the file C:\Windows\memory.dmp. Just to be clear you did uninstall first before installing again with standalone installer?

Thanks.

Yes, I uninstalled and rebooted before trying the standalone install.

I think I’m just going to leave ISE off now.

If it helps, WhoCrashed maybe indicates a clash with Avast (?):

On Wed 12/07/2017 17:55:00 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini071217-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0x6D80C)
Bugcheck code: 0xD4 (0xFFFFFFFFAA5FC670, 0xFF, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF80546B09)
Error: SYSTEM_SCAN_AT_RAISED_IRQL_CAUGHT_IMPROPER_DRIVER_UNLOAD
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a driver did not cancel pending operations before unloading.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 12/07/2017 17:55:00 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: aswstmxp.sys (aswStmXP+0x5A2A)
Bugcheck code: 0xD4 (0xFFFFFFFFAA5FC670, 0xFF, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF80546B09)
Error: SYSTEM_SCAN_AT_RAISED_IRQL_CAUGHT_IMPROPER_DRIVER_UNLOAD
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\aswstmxp.sys
product: Avast Antivirus
company: AVAST Software
description: Avast Stream Filter
Bug check description: This indicates that a driver did not cancel pending operations before unloading.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswstmxp.sys (Avast Stream Filter, AVAST Software).
Google query: AVAST Software SYSTEM_SCAN_AT_RAISED_IRQL_CAUGHT_IMPROPER_DRIVER_UNLOAD

Please check issue with Internet Security Essentials v1.3.436779.133 - RC thanks.