Is this application really THAT bad?

Comodo makes your computer really safe - by simply blocking ANY connection available. You could as well simply unplug the patch cable.
I have tried about a dozen personal firewalls, yet none of them was as unfunctional as this one.
Installed with default settings, set IE as a trusted application with all rights possible - some sites were working, some weren’t. Actually, most weren’t.
Firefox didn’t work at all. Comodo has even blocked it’s DNS lookups, so FF was waiting for the host to be resolved to no avail.
And just to prove how great a program Comodo is, when completely disabling Comodo or allowing all traffic, things didn’t work either. I had to uninstall Comodo to be able to use my Internet again.

All in all, I have never used such a poor firewall solution in my whole life, and I have tried my fair share.

Oh, another extremely funny detail about Comodo - it wasn’t even able to update.
When hitting “Update”, it quit with a connection error.

Incredible.

Sorry Comodo is not working out for you. But do you really think it was necessary to post this? i mean just to complain about it. Just tell us in details the problems you had and when you isntalled comodo what other software did you have?

Try re-installing it in safe mode.
Else it might be conflicting with your other softwares, like Goose17 said.
Also, check the FAQ and see if you find something useful.
FAQ’s can be found here:
https://forums.comodo.com/new_member_information/links_to_faqs-t2519.0.html

Ragwing

Did you set up a Trusted Zone for your network?

jasper

Well, that’s what I mean - it’s user unfriendly.
I have read quite some posts in this forum and I was amazed at which detail the user is supposed to dive into Comodo - which rule has to sit before which? Otherwise utorrent won’t work.

Concerning the Trusted Zone - I don’t see the point. Which IPs should be included there?
Localhost? Private Network? Public Internet IPs wouldn’t make sense, would they?

Other software? Avast Antivirus. No other memory resident software that might interfere.

Don’t get me wrong, folks. I honestly appreciate you trying to help me out, but after installing CFP three times and uninstalling it after 10 minutes in despair because NOTHING worked at all, please understand that my opinion concerning this software is rather biased.

Honestly, it’s 2007 - software is supposed to be user friendly these days.
Comodo pretends to work as most other major brands do as well - rules-based.
So there pops up a small window asking whether application X is supposed to connect to the Internet. Uh, just like the other programs do.
But then, whatever option you click, it simply doesn’t work.

Wish you all a nice evening.

Welcome to the forums nocfponmypc,

Well, that's what I mean - it's user unfriendly. I have read quite some posts in this forum and I was amazed at which detail the user is supposed to dive into Comodo - which rule has to sit before which? Otherwise utorrent won't work.

I have to agree that there is a learning curve to most firewalls but that is why the forum is here so that the users can help each other learn how to use the software. There are many people, myself included, on here that will be glad to walk you thru setting up the firewall and explain the inner workings.

Concerning the Trusted Zone - I don't see the point. Which IPs should be included there? Localhost? Private Network? Public Internet IPs wouldn't make sense, would they?

You would only trust your private network.

Other software? Avast Antivirus. No other memory resident software that might interfere.

I use Avast Pro, with no problems. Version 2.4 is not as refined as the version 3 beta(this is what I am using now) but there are a lot of people that use version 2.4 without any problems.

At first it can be very confusing but if you are willing to ask questions we are willing to help you.

jasper

Of course some rules have to appear before others. There simply MUST be a priority or ordering to the rules, otherwise it would be a lottery as to whether something was blocked or allowed.

Concerning the Trusted Zone - I don't see the point. Which IPs should be included there? Localhost? Private Network? Public Internet IPs wouldn't make sense, would they?

You’ve answered your own question perfectly. Localhost? If needed. Private network? Naturally, including the inwards facing address of your router. Public internet IP? No way.

Don't get me wrong, folks. I honestly appreciate you trying to help me out, but after installing CFP three times and uninstalling it after 10 minutes in despair because NOTHING worked at all, please understand that my opinion concerning this software is rather biased.

A whole 10 minutes! And still nothing worked!!! 88)

Be fair in your appraisal, please. It takes ANY or EVERY firewall more than 10 minutes to learn what software is allowed to execute and gain internet access on any system. I couldn’t attempt to start every application on my system in under an hour, and I don’t have all that much on the test box.

Honestly, it's 2007 - software is supposed to be user friendly these days. Comodo pretends to work as most other major brands do as well - rules-based. So there pops up a small window asking whether application X is supposed to connect to the Internet. Uh, just like the other programs do. But then, whatever option you click, it simply doesn't work.

With all due respect, this is most likely caused because you haven’t understood how to configure it to start with. Firewalls are not like every other piece of 2007 software. They must adapt to each and every PC they are installed on. Application software (like Word or Excel) are self contained and just run. Firewalls, not just CFP, have to run and adapt themselves and their configuration according to the individual landscape it’s running on.

I note that this is your first posting on these forums (If others have been trying to help you, what is your other username? I’ll have a look at those posts and see if I can figure anything out.) If you are willing to repost and include an extract of your network monitor rules, along with details of how you connect to the internet, I’m sure we can get things working for you.

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

hi ocfponmypc
(:WAV)
If you talk about “USER FRIENDLY”, i’m a complete novice (actually a dumba** ;D ) about computer. but i never have any trouble regarding CFP. let us know your problem & we’ll help you to solve it.

Ganda

I have to admit that I’m getting tired of Comodo firewall too. Yes, It seems to work because my computer is up and running, but I’m getting really tired that I get those annoying popups time after time. After many months of using this program, it should be clear that for example IE and Firefox are safe programs…

Everything works fine for, let’s say two or three weeks and then suddenly these security alerts appear again. There’s no logic in this program… I used earlier Norton and it asked once if application is safe and that’s it.

It’s sad to say but it seems now that you can’t get good software for free. Or like I said before, this is good program beacuse it has kept my computer clean but even Windows firewall could do the same… Usability is poor for those people who are not that interested to click every alert and tune up settings…

The reason those alerts keep popping up might be because your software has updated and it is seen as a changed program by the firewall. This would be normal behavior as the firewall does check to see if programs have changed and is supposed to alert you in case something else changed them and is trying to use them to do bad things.

jasper

I tried Comodo’s Firewall again the other day after a clean install of Windows. I think was using an older version the last time I tried it, so I thought it must have improved on the user-friendliness. But sadly, I was wrong. Don’t get me wrong, I totally agree that Comodo Firewall is probably the most reliable software firewall available today, but the constant pop-ups are a real nightmare. After a couple hours of constant pop-ups, I couldn’t take it any more and uninstalled it. It would be nice if some kind of whitelist were implemented, but until then, I’ll pass.

IE and Firefox might be safe, but what about other utilities that attempt to use them to connect to the Internet?
The main problem is that a firewall isn’t intelligent in the same way as human beings are. So if you click a link in an email message in Outlook Express and Firefox is your default browser, then the firewall is only doing its job by alerting you to the fact that an application which hasn’t yet been registered in the firewall configuration, is trying to access the Web. You can see that it’s a HTML link which you want to open in your browser, but the firewall is a dumb animal and has to learn that what you’re trying to do is actually safe.
If you simply allow Firefox/IE to connect regardless just because you take the view that either browser is safe, you’re asking for trouble.

Your best bet is to go through the list of applications which are already set to “Allow” in the “Application Control rules” (double click each one in turn) for either browser. It’ll give you a better understanding of just how many apps can launch using Firefox or IE.