Is there any way to find/recover missing snapshots?

Windows Update KB979683 (strongly suspect) nuked my XP machine. I made a snapshot before installation of the updates like I always do, however, when Windows would not boot and I had to revert to the CTM “Home Key” feature, the only snapshot was the Baseline which was about two months old. A lot of things have changed since then! Thank You!

hi ratchet ,

we are investigating this snapshot lost error. Thanks very much for your feedback!

Hi, ratchet

I cannot reproduce your issue.
The KB979683 did not nuke my xp machine.

Regards.

I came across this on the Horizon Data Rollback Rx Knowledge base:

http://support.horizondatasys.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=4443
We have a Utility that will attempt to recover data from for you - but it is not guaranteed to work. The “Snapshot Scavenger”, as well the instructions for its use, is downloadable from here: http://support.horizondatasys.com/FileManagement/Download/c3e597a5233a4bb693f946438a47fc8f. If there is any hope of getting the data back, this is it. We wish you the best of luck.

Here are the instructions:

Snapshot Scavenger Readme
If you should have accidentally uninstalled Rollback Rx to the baseline, or if you have deleted a snapshot containing important data, or if you have corrupted snapshot, you can use Snapshot Scavenger to search and recover data file from the hard drive. Snapshot Scavenger is a free utility provided by Horizon Datasys to help you as the last resort to scavenge data from the history of the snapshot maybe still remaining on the hard disk.
Important:
SNAPSHOT SCAVENGER IS A FREE UTILITY PROVIDED AS IS. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMIT¬TED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT SHALL HORIZON DATASYS INC. OR ITS PARTNERS OR SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, OR CON¬SEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF BUSINESS PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF BUSINESS INFORMATION, OR ANY OTHER PECUNIARY LOSS) ARISING OUT THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF HORIZON DATASYS INC HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. PLEASE BACKUP YOUR DATA BEFORE USING THIS UTILITY!
Instructions
Download the ISO image file containing BartPE and Snapshot Scavenger from
• NOTE: You must have a licensed copy of Windows XP in order to use this BartPE.

1. Burn the ISO file to a blank CD to create a bootable BartPe CD.
  2. Boot off the computer from the BartPe CD. If you intend to recover files from the local hard drive and save it to a network drive, you need to enable Network Support on BartPE.
  3. Select Go->Programs->Snapshot Scavenger to launch Snapshot Scavenger.
  4. Select the hard disk you would like to recover data from and click on “Select Disk”.
  5. You will see all partition on this drive. If you had installed EAZ-FIX to protect all partitions, make sure “Search disk” is selected and click on “Start Search”. If you had installed EAZ-FIX to protect some (more than one) of the partitions, make sure “Search disk” is selected and click on “Start Search”. If you had installed EAZ-FIX to only protect one partition, select the partition, make sure “Search partition” is selected and click on “Start Search”.
  6. IF SNAPSHOT SCAVENGER IS ABLE TO FIND SNAPSHOT HISTORY ON THE HARD DISK (this is not guaranteed): You will see a list of snapshots in the Snapshot Information windows. Select a snapshot that you think it would contain the data files you need to recover and click on “Explore Snapshot”. Snapshot Scavenger will mount the snapshot as a virtual drive.
  7. You can access the virtual drive by click on Go->Program Files->A4 System Files. You can browse the virtual drives to find files and copy it to another location.

I have no idea if Snapshot Scavenger will work with CTM snapshots, but thought I’d mention it in case
someone else runs into this problem and wants to try it to see if it works with CTM.

Bob