Is my configuration a normal default, or has the past broken it ?

I have an intermittent problem with v5.3 and I allowed v5.3 to update itself to v5.8.
Intermittent Problem remained.

I went to Firewall Download | Best Firewall Security software for Windows
I was disappointed that there was no clue given about whether it yet delivered v5.8,
but I downloaded the x64 35.9 MB version cfw_installer_x64.exe anyway.

I UN-installed v5.8 and ran Jacob’s UNinstall tool, but about 18 Registry Keys had Access Denied barriers.
I am concerned that these residual keys could have degraded what should have been a clean install.

To install I unchecked Cloud Based Behaviour, and customised to uncheck GeekBuddy (that was a bit sneaky)
I set Configure options to Accept Defense+ and to minimise security alerts.
Then I installed and was disappointed to find there was no Antivirus, so I thought I had been misled in my download.
I rebooted prior to undeleting and then saw that A.V. now appeared.
Is that normal ?

I do not know if the following is a correct new default or if those old registry keys have influenced the following 5 items which I have not touched.

Configuration : Firewall
SandBox Disabled
Defense+ Safe mode
Firewall Safe mode
Antivirus Stateful.

I believe those default settings give identical protection to the settings I chose for v5.3 :-

Configuration : Internet Security
SandBox Disabled
Defense+ Safe mode
Firewall Safe mode
Antivirus Stateful.

I would appreciate comments, and also advice on the pros and cons of enabling the Sandbox

Regards
Alan

The benefit with the sandbox enable is that you can “risk free” try the wanted application without getting infected.

Till now I have not wanted to trust what has been a new feature with possible glitches.

I now am concerned about whether to :-
normally enable sandbox apart from when I choose to enable a change - and possibly forget to disable for an installation and not realise my mistake until I next reboot;
or normally disable apart from when I wish to run a risk - and possible forget to apply protection when needed.

Regards
Alan

I would follow the advice that I give here. I’ve never seen any problems with it.

Many thanks for the link, I will try that in the very near future.

Hi Alan

Good clear problem description. Chiron’s FAQ is a very good one, and may well help you, but to answer your specific questions.

Well re defaults sandbox should be enabled, and no other setting you changed should have affected that, so the cleanup tool has not entirely reset settings.

RE AV disappearance and reappearance, not sure

All Comodo links should now lead to 5.8

Best wishes

MOuse

Thanks

Alan

THat’s OK

Think this other FAQ from Chiron may help more here.

Worth also saying (don’t think the FAQ does) that running the uninstall tool twice with a reboot between may be needed. Also, fairly obviously you should disable defence plus before using it for the first time, if you have not used the standard uninstaller first

This is basically to prevent CIS stopping its own uninstall

You should be running it with admin privs too of course

Hope this helps

Mouse

Best wishes

Mouse

Hi Alan,

I think the download of cfw_installer caused this, you downloaded the ‘Firewall’ preset version of CIS which has other defaults as the ‘Internet Security’ version of CIS which you had installed previously.

Makes sense, well noticed

Mouse