Is An Official Update from Comodo on CTM possible?

I think it should be “mins” instead of “secs” ! :wink: The technology hasn’t got to that point yet !

I don’t think this is what we are looking for, judging by what I can see on another thread (though I may misunderstand it - i don’t pretend to be a technical expert).

As a digital inclusion outreach service, the beauty of CTM was for us that we could reset a computer in seconds out in the field when we have finished our tutorial sessions with a learner, pack up the computer and drive to a new learner and lend them the same computer without the necessity of bringing back the PC and hooking it up to anything, except for if we need to update the actual standard setup of the PC.

The self-restore partition of course offers that but it takes at least 20mins or so, whereare CTM takes a minute so can easily be done at the end of a final tutorial session. It also has the great side benefit of allowing us to reduce the protection on the laptops so that learners can experiment more, install their own programs, and we can change user settings to accomodate accessibility issues etc., all the while knowing we can quickly reset the computer back to a standard point very quickly whenever needed.

As I say, CTM is absolutely the perfect product for our needs!

Well I know 2.8 was really just seconds having tested that on some of our laptops - it was only slightly longer than a normal reboot…worked really well except we could install on one model of laptop we use, but not another (and haven’t tested on the 3rd model yet)

Right, on newer and faster computers it would take no more than 3mins to rollback to a snap. Also in your case it would be faster as you set it to rollback to “baseline” on every reboot (probably with “nil” snapshot taken)!

But on Blatug’s thread I’m sure he meant “mins” instead of “secs” !

Also if you would describe how 2.8 not being able to install on some of the laptops, maybe I or someone could help…

15-20 minutes for me.

Since 2.8 can rollback almost in the amount of time it would take to just reboot, waiting 20 minutes even to rollback just a few MB’s of data seemed like something wasn’t right. So I went back to 2.8.

Not a typo, really in seconds not minutes. On a couple of the PCs the red screen just blinks. That’s like 1/10th of a second maybe. But I know that’s just the red screen, the actual process might be 2 or so seconds, still fast. Rolling back to baseline, so maybe it’s not that surprising for 2.8. Perhaps restoring to “current” is faster with 2.9…?

Yes 30 secs is fast, not a problem for me too at home. For example on my kid’s PC. But out there imagine it takes 2 mins to boot normally (until Windows is useable), then add 30 secs or more, and the next person inline to use the PC is standing there waiting. It won’t make you start biting your nails yet, but it’s on the borderline. This is typical for classrooms, net cafes, checkout counters, … After reading your following post I think you know what I mean.

Haven’t tried CNC yet. But at least don’t take out CTM. Are you going to close this forum’s CTM section as well?

Blatug, I see your point, I’d mistook you as an ordinary home user ! In fact you and james.lewis use CTM just like “DeepFreeze” here, that’s why you’re talking about (reverting to baseline) in secs. :-TU

Well, I think people who really want to try/use CTM can always find a copy of this program somewhere ! But I think CTM forum should not be closed for at least 12 months or better yet, kept open untill Win8 comes, as on-going users would need to discuss things and find help here.

Does any one know what is this similar feature in wondows 8 that is the cause of sudden silent death of CTM that was once regarded as PC saver by Comodo.

I have even tried a leaked version of windows 8 and did not notice any similar feature, also never read about it any where on the net.

I just wonder if such a feature even exists…? 88)

History Vault

ZDNet has a page where they keep track of new features discovered in leaked W8 builds. It was last updates April 18 2011.

For me, from 2-3 minutes to 20-30 minutes.
There were a huge change in how CTM processes the snapshots.
For instance: if CTM driver (or the snapshot system) has a huge problem, the system goes back to the baseline on version 2.8. On version 2.9, it would be back to the latest version.

By the way, the product is still available on the website 88)

Certainly.

Yeah, and now it has been removed. :cry:

(:AGY) :THNK (:AGY) (:SAD) (:AGY)

Not at all similar to CTM. It,s just a file restore feature that was introduced since Vista.

This is actually fairly manageable for us if we plan for it - when we see a person for the last time, we have paperwork to satisfy our funders that we have to complete, so we can be rebooting while we sort the paperwork out. 30 mins would definitely not be manageable. We will only need one or maybe two restore points (am thinking of using a 2nd restore point to create a pre-set Accessible setup of the computer, with lower screen res, larger fonts, etc.).

CTM 2.9 beta takes long time to restore but it takes drastically less disk space for snapshots.
CTM 2.8 takes much shorter time to restore but it takes more disk space for snapshots.

Hi Solarlynx - when you say longer what is your experience of the amount of time, roughly in minutes?

In the same comp (30 GB system partition, 3.2 GHz, 2GB ram - 4 years old pc), restoration to a day’s old snapshot:
CTM 2.8 - 1-10 seconds (really, no cheating!).
CTM 2.9 beta - 5-10 minutes;

restoration to a week’s old snapshot:
CTM 2.8 - 1-3 minutes (really, no cheating!).
CTM 2.9 beta - 15-30 minutes.

restoration to a moth’s old snapshot:
CTM 2.8 - 3-5 minutes .
CTM 2.9 beta - 20-30 minutes.

But for number of snapshots being taken at the same time interval 2-5 days and for the same number of time line branches 3-6 (of course it depends on the diffrences between the snapshots, I take for approximately the same pattern of changes):
CTM 2.8 - can make about 15-20 snapshots.
CTM 2.9 beta - can make about 40-60 snapshots.

All numbers are approximate but anyway they show the tendency.
I prefer 2.9 beta - it can transfer users’ accounts to a not system partition what is very convenient (though it can be done thru some changes in windows when you use CTM 2.8 ).

Thanks! We usually loan computers for c.6 weeks (often a little longer due to missed sessions, holiday etc.)