Internet Connectivity Problem

Hello,
I am at university and internet connection is provided through a proxy server.The computers are connected through LAN.I tried to install Comodo Firewall Pro v3.0.21.329,but the setup window had disappeared after some time.When I restarted the system and went to Program Files,I found the CFP.exe file in the Comodo folder.I opened it and it asked me to run the diagnostics tools.It repaired the installation and internet worked for some time(not properly).When internet stopped working I tried to uninstall it but couldn’t find the uninstall option.So I deleted the comodo folder,but it couldn’t be completely deleted completely.I installed it again properly but internet didn’t work.I found the uninstall option from the start menu and uninstalled it.Then I learnt that there was some repair going on in the institute network.So I waited but even after the repair internet didn’t work.I tried system restore thrice but it failed.Then I did system restore in Safe Mode but the required restore point was deleted.I restored to the configuration(oldest) in which it was partially installed.I installed Comodo to get the uninstall option and uninstalled it.Then I read about netsh winsock reset and netsh int ip reset commands.I tried both and when I restart the computer and configure the TCP/IPv4 settings in the LAN properties,internet starts working.But I have to use the netsh int ip reset command everytime before shutdown and the next time reconfigre the settings for internet to work.When I run the netsh int ip reset command as administrator,the system returns
Reseting Echo Request,failed.
Access is denied.
Reseting Global, OK!
Reseting Interface, OK!
Reseting Unicast Address, OK!
Reseting Route, OK!
A reboot is required to complete this action.
I use cntlm for proxy authentication as many programs won’t work without proxy authenticaion.My operating system is Windows Vista Home Basic.Is reseting the TCP/IP stack many times harmful for the computer? Should I disable the network adapter or unplug the network cable before the reseting process.Please help.
Thank You!

Have you done anything else on the system around the same timeframe as trying to install v3? I’m thinking specifically of security policy & registry editing. Resetting TCP/IP stack afaik won’t hurt anything, it’s just a pain to have to go thru multiple times.

You might try a free app, Winsock XP Fix; it should reset all in one shot the netsh commands, and make some registry adjusts to the TCP/IP keys there as well.

One other question just to make sure… is this your computer, or the Uni’s?

LM

This needs to be the first question.

If this is a computer owned and adminstered by the Uni, then they are your first and only point of reference.

Ewen :slight_smile:

Hello,
After uninstalling Comodo,I searched for Comodo in the registry and found some results.I tried to delete some but all could not be deleted(Access denied error) even though I am the administrator.After reinstalling and uninstalling the program,I used the uninstaller for Comodo v3(uninstaller for a previous version was only available),but it could not find any registry entries or files(I am not sure about the message).The computer is owned by me.Does WinSock XP Fix work in Vista?I found another program,WinSockFix on Softpedia and Softpedia says it works on all windows versions.But the product website does not mention Vista.Also it is given as last resort when everything else fails.It may also cause a working network connection to stop working.
Thanks!

Use IE7 to Diagnose your network problems. Just click on Tools>>>Diagnose… it’s on the top right hand corner of IE7. It may be just that your winsock needs resetting.

Eric

Hello,
I used Diagnose Connection Problems in IE and it reported:“Web Proxy” is not set up to establish connection on port “5865”.I had used the netsh winsock reset catalog command as administrator but internet didn’t work.Using netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log command temporarily solves the problem,but I have to use it many times and some programs give socket error:10060.
Thanks!

Hello,
I used WinSockFix 1.1.0.13 but it didn’t work.It gave a message that host file could not be found.It performed other repair operations but at last it again said that host file could not be found.After rebooting the default gateway entries were missing in the ipv4 settings.I entered the values but internet didn’t work.Winsock XP fix had compatibility problems and I did not run it.While using comodo firewall,network traffic was dominated by svchost.exe and I thought it might be causing the problem.I blocked it and I think I black listed it(sorry).I get socket/network error:10060 with some applications.Does it mean that the problem could be related to WinSock?I found another program LSP fix in Softpedia.Should I use it?
Thanks!

You can try the LSP. Just make sure that Svchost is set to “Allow” in CPF’s Defense+

Eric

Hello,
I tried LSP Fix,but it didn’t work.It removed Newdotnet.I had uninstalled comodo before.Do I need to reinstall it and then allow svchost.exe.I would like to uninstall it after that.Should I use the uninstaller batch file given in the forum?It didn’t find any registry entries last time I used it.
Thanks!

Just Click on Defense+ at the top of your CPF window then click Advanced and then click Computer Security Policy. The rule for the blocked Svchost should be listed there. Just delete that particular rule and reboot.

Eric

Just a quick comment on svchost.exe, which should reside in c:/windows/system32/…

svchost.exe is a vital part of your OS’s communications, both in-house and on the web. Blocking it will not generally get you anywhere good. Yes, it does sit behind a lot of connections (some which go nowhere), but with Windows there’s not much to be done about it. Don’t like that, get Linux… :wink:

Being a system application, svchost.exe will be allowed by v3, default. If you see an alert about it changing or somesuch, be concerned; otherwise don’t worry about it.

LM

Hello,
I don’t have comodo installed now.Do I have to reinstall it to allow svchost.exe?Is there a way to check whether it is working properly without reinstalling comodo?I am not sure whether this post is repeated;I had posted this before but it’s missing now.
Thanks!

You don’t have to reinstall to allow svchost.exe

Do remember to remove the following directories before reinstalling.

C:/Program files/Comodo

c:/documents and settings/all users/application data/comodo

c:/documents and settings/[username]/application data/comodo

These folders tend to be left behind and contain some defense+ and other CPF settings and will cause problems if reinstall is done and these folders are still there.

Eric

Hi,
When I tried to open c:/documents and settings,I ge the error message:Access is denied.Why is it that I have to do the resetting process more than once?
Thanks!

Strange that you’re getting that message. are you running Limited user account or admin?

Eric

Hello,
I am logged in as administrator.I could only find a hidden shortcut to Documents and Settings in LocalDisk:C.Its size is 0 bytes.I tried to change permissions but I get the error message:An error occurred while trying to share Documents and Settings.Access is denied.The shared resource was not created at this time.
Thanks!

Hello,
I reinstalled comodo and allowed al the safe applications but internet didn’t work.I added my parent proxy port to the port list but it also didn’t solve the problem.I used network diagnostics in IE and it asked to turn on TCP performance improving settings.Then it said problem still existed and asked to turn off TCP settings not compatible with the router.At last it said windows could not solve the problem.
Safari browser gave winsock error:10022 and norton internet security gives the message:Error “Symantec Email Proxy cannot scan your email messages because your network is not properly configured” (1003,13) on start up.Symantec website said this is because the computer is infected.But the computer does not have any serious infections.
The file sharing program used in the network DC++ also doesn’t work(I get TCP/TLS error).
I uninstalled comodo but the problems persist.I had used TCPoptimizer but I restored the settings back to windows default,but it didn’t solve the problem.I tried resetting the TCP/IP stack before uninstalling comodo and after uninstalling comodo firewall,but it didn’t work.
I had to do system restore in safe mode(it failed thrice in normal mode previously).Now I have to reset the TCP/IP stack before shut down and enter the IP settings on start up as before to get internet connection.Please help.
Thanks!

I see you are under Vista. Vista doesn’t have a Documents and Setting folder anymore. The folders you see are only for programs that are being run in virtualisation mode.

The comodo folders Eric Cryptid is referring to are under H:\Users[your username]\AppData\Local\Comodo and/or H:\Users[your username]\AppData\Roaming\Comodo. Now you can delete these folders when uninstalling Comodo as described here: https://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v3/comprehensive_instructions_for_completely_removing_comodo_firewall_pro_3_info-t17220.0.html .

P.S. Could you please make paragraphs when writing. Your posts are very hard to read without structure.

Hello,
I checked those folders and they were empty.I had used the comodo uninstaller before but it couldn’t find any registry entries.I used it again but this time also it didn’t remove anything.I couldn’t find any drivers or registry keys given in the post.
I searched for comodo and found some keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY CMDGUARD\0000 but could not delete it.I get "Access denied
" message though I am logged in as the administrator.I found some more keys but they can’t be deleted.
Is this post problem related to the problem?
https://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v3/home_lan_internet_connection_not_available_at_startup-t20578.0.html;msg141133#msg141133
When I have connection problems I find only a single network with local access in Network and Sharing Centre.But after I reset the TCP/IP stack,restart and enter the TCP settings,I see two networks which access changing from local to local and internet after some time.
Thanks!