Ok, I looked into it and found two workarounds for opera 9.20:

user side:

1. set userjs directory opera:config#UserPrefs|UserJavaScriptFile
  2. enable Userjs opera:config#UserPrefs|UserJavaScriptFile
  3. extract the attached matousec.zip in your userjs directory
  4. get an optional opera toolbar extension

NOTE: this won’t work using opera zoom function

serverside:
luckily this bug wanishes using a modified 27_menu_arrow.gif where RGB-hex 000000 is changed to RGB-HEX 010101
I’ll attach this file too…

operaside:
Opera has rendering problems with transparent gifs and CSS3 opacity. PNGs do not have problems.
I’ll file a bugreport to operasoftware…

:■■■■

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thank you, gibran. The first 2 methods is what I might try, but won’t they diminish the security aspect of Opera? Javascript is already enabled in the Advanced Options, but apparently you pointed out something different: User Java Script. Differences?

Need to cast some fire here ;D

In Opera, right click- block content. You’ll still see ads, but block the ones that annoy you. No extensions.
It comes down to preferences though.

I agree with Pedro. I was looking for a free ad-blocker, but didn’t want Firefox when I was searching for alternatives last year. However, the block content (or mode as I call it) only blocks the specific file for the specific site. The Blocked Content feature in Advanced Options, that’s inconveniently tucked deep in there is the true ad blocker because you can specify an entire domain by the asterisk (*) wild card. Of course, Opera is so customizable that I created my own right-click menu to directly access that option ;D, but it wasn’t easy to figure out. You can even create your own list without having to manually add each site one by one: C:\Program Files\Opera\profile[b]urlfilter.ini[/b] → this file can be edited, but don’t save it while Opera is running.

Just with any browser, the trick to figuring which ones are ads or how to find their url is to right-click on them and select properties. Now instead of blocking just the file, take advantage of the wildcards. E.g. doubleclick.net. Or if you’re lazy you can search the web for custom-made lists created by other people and just copy and paste the content to the urlfilter.ini.

Or for Opera you can save this page as .ini (it’s updated regularly just like Firefox’s filterset.G) and put it in your profile folder then just go to “opera:config>Network>URL Filter List” and point to it. It will be used after next restart.

I use the 1st one. The securitiy level should be fair, you can create a custom-named userjs folder in the document folder and set that into opera.

Then you can watch folder contents anytime. In addition you can enable/disable userjs with a button in the toolbar.

Userjs scripts can be limited to specific sites (that one work only on matousec).

The only security issue would be caused by a malicious script in the userjs folder you choosed (multiuser PCs).

As far standard javascript is enabled the standard js security concerns are inherited

(sometimes security experts reported exploits about malicious sites using various methods to write to known file location on pc. So if any flaw like these is discovered and a malicious site could write in the userjs directory that would be a problem :o )

There is a third method (I used it for testing) which involves a content filtering proxy… but the rule I made disable menu alpha on all browsers (look at the rule I used in the attached gif).

This said I could add that many users are using userjs (it’s like greasemonkey or trixie).
Opera too ;D but they named it browser.js and inserted an hash-like signature in it (hmm… :-X )

[attachment deleted by admin]

Whoa. Becoming too technical for me. I’ll just wait for Opera devs to fix it :). Not really a problem for me. Just a little annoying when I see something imperfect with Opera :o ;D. There was another site with this problem, but I don’t remember exactly which one.

Gibran, how do you compare that one with Proxo?

Proxomitron is still unmatched… It has plenty more features and its userbase is still doing great things…

Its author never opensourced it and quit the project after being discouraged by proxo users arttitude. Sadly he died in a car accident.

There was a Proxo clone named Proximodo but it was not widely adopted. Its authors discontinued the project.

Bfilter is not a proxomitron clone but it is still developed. It lacks a lot of features but I hope it will be enhanced…

I am still searching for alterntives. I forgot the site of a multi protocol filtering proxy I wanted to test :-[

I’ve used Proxomitron for years, and whilst I have tried several alternatives, I always come back to Prox. I use it in conjunction with sidki’s filterset sidki | proxomitron and a few mods of my own

There is also Privoxy Privoxy - Home Page which works in a similar way to Proxomitron.

Toggie

Browser Poll !!!

Choose the best (that means Opera of course ;))
Of course we can discuss about it :slight_smile:

Maxthon, Greenbrowser and other IE based browsers are missing from the list , except Avant. perhaps there should be an extra option to choose from (combining all these browsers, because basically they are the same).

I wondered about ‘Maxton’ - is it the obvious IE front end?

Yes, all of the corrective add-ons for IE should count as IE.

Peter.

FF as default; IE for some sites that require it. I have not tried the plugin for FF that’s supposed to make it work for those IE-dependent sites. I probably should.

LM

Opera most of the time :slight_smile:

I use Firefox all the time, I have the IE tab addon installed and so far it has worked great for the must use IE websites.

I only end up using IE when some applications decide to run it instead of Firefox, even though I have Firefox as my default

:■■■■

My computer has Avant, SlimBrowser, and FireFox. I use Firefox for it’s safety and my girlfriend uses the other two for their simplicity. I like FireFox’s flexibility and customization ability.

I wish there was an IE shell browser that corrected some of the security weaknesses in IE7. It would be great if Comodo did that.

Firefox here, since only one day :slight_smile:

May I use this thread to ask about cookie handling: In the Options/Privacy section, if “Accept cookies from site” is unchecked, does this really mean that all cookies are blocked (unless I allow specific addresses in “Exceptions…”)? I’m not missing anything essential here concerning Firefox’s cookie handling?

/LA

Firefox since it’s beginning, and it truly Rocks!

LeoniAquila,
Yes, you are correct about the cookie handling.
If the box is unchecked it will not accept, or ask to accept cookies.
While silently dealing with the sites on your exception list.

Little Mac,
The IE Tab extension works great. Can even use it for Windows updates.
It just calls up the IE engine within FF.

Later All, Bad

+1