INTERNET BROWSERS

Netscape 8. It is more stable and has better password management than any of the others.

For a time, I didn’t like Firefox or any other and simply stuck with IE. I just today as a matter of fact downloaded the lates version of Firefox and it’s great. It seems the most stable version and have had no problems opening anything etc…I just wish I knew how to create my own theme. Perhaps another day unless someone on here knows how or where I can get what’s needed to do this.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul,
You should try the latest opera 9.1. It’s even better

I have not tried Opera before for quite some time now, but since everyone says that it is good, I think I will give it a shot. The last time I tried, it was blazing fast in loading its pages.

Yours truly,
DoomScythe

I recently tried Opera 9 after reading some opinions in here. I liked it but ran into some problems with some of the sites I use for work. I am using IE7 Beta 3 currently and I like it much better than IE6 although there are still a few minor issues with it. I also like Firefox, but until IE is replaced with another browser as the business standard, I will stick with IE.

(L)

Hi,

As this is the last day for voting this topic will be un-sticky’d and the new poll will be posted.

You know, I was an opera person and really did like the options, perhaps I will look into it. Thanks for that Pand, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul

Just a thought.

We all have our own choice of browser and for whatever reason we stand by it, warts and all. I don’t want a thread where its ‘My browser is better than your browser’ just a thread where we can exchange help, hints and tips etc.

Anyway just an idea. If anyone is interested, I’ll kick off with a firefox post.

Toggie

I use AMBrowser 3 (formerly Crazy Browser). Neat simple IE wrapper (like Maxthon) with a simple tabbed interface, user definable domain completion, auto cleanup, pop-up filter, mouse gestures and it’s quick. There are a lot of other newer alternatives, but I think browsers are like jeans - comfort above all else.

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

IE6 forever, but a few months ago switched to Opera due to reading opinions on the web that it’s the “best” because it’s:

• fast (I don’t really notice that much difference)
  • safe (least reported vulnerabilities with quick patching)
  • light (in certain areas).
  • customizable (to an almost insane degree)
  • has built-in features (e.g. ad/site blocking, which I create my own list)

I still run IE for Windows Updates about once/month.

I blocked iexplore.exe using Local Security Policy, and use exclusively FireFox.

Here’s the extensions I use for FireFox:

• NoScript (disables javascript/java with whitelist and blacklist)
  • FlashGot (to enable integration with Free Download Manager)
  • DownThemAll (to retrieve files that for one reason or another cannot be retrieved by FDM)
  • AdBlock Plus
  • FlashBlock (blocks Flash animations from loading)
  • Page Animation (stops .gif animation)

I have to say with the above extensions my browsing becomes real fast and safe.

I was once an Opera user. It just doesn’t suit me, as IMO it tries to be too many things at the same time, while FireFox tries to only be a good browser.

For e-mail, I use GMail and Thunderbird.

Firefox here as well. For the longest time I thought (being ignorant, of course) that there were only IE and Netscape browsers. I realized there were probably others, but figured they cost $$ and I would stick with what was free, security issues aside. Then I found FF…

I have for extensions:

• Answers (right-click lookup feature)
  • CookieSafe (detailed cookie management)
  • FasterFox (no pre-fetching, only moderate settings)
  • FEBE (a backup utility)
  • ForecastFox (nice weather alerts)
  • KeyScrambler (encrypted keystrokes for web logins)
  • NoScript (I almost think this one is “required”…)
  • Safe Download (scan with the AV of your choice)
  • Shazou (just a neat locator tool)
  • ShowIP (another quick reference tool)
  • Verification Engine (from Comodo, of course!)

I agree with Ewen; it’s all about user comfort. I think this is true of pretty much all software; we need to be comfortable with what we have, or we’re not gonna like it or use it well.

LM

I have questions about the famous NoScript extension: is this similar to Opera’s built-in option to disable javascript and all those lovely plugins? Sure it’s easy to disable them, but unlike cookies, it’s not always obvious whether the site you’re visiting will function properly. What if there are missing content because the browser didn’t load certain information?

For Noscript function, you can disable Javascript, and enable it per site by right clicking- site prefs-choose there.
Not so easy, and there could be problems. Some users report that a few sites won’t work even if javascript is enabled for that site. I just have it enabled, behind SandboxIE.

I’ve asked at the Opera forum for that function (a simple drop-down with the options), and a custom button to do that (Opera is customizable by users). So far no luck.

It’s one of the few things that it lacks, for me at least. You can do pretty much everything else.

Ok, I see. So it’s like referers in that you won’t always know what’s missing. Frankly, I think it’s more of a pain to have to figure which sites to enable them even if I had the ability to customize each site with script toggling.

soyabeaner,

I’ve attached a couple screenshots… NS gives you an icon from which you can control how it functions…

Although you don’t see it here (as I’ve allowed Comodo), you can set it to temporarily allow a site (rather than create a permanent permission), and so on. That’s just from clicking the icon.

Then within Options, you have a lot more to choose from, to set specifics, your whitelist/blacklist (General tab), advanced settings for trusted & untrusted sites, etc.

What I typically see is that if a page is running some scripting, it either won’t load at all (just stays in perpetual “load” until it times out), or has obvious information missing. Sometimes it even completely changes the layout of the page. If I trust the site well enough but don’t want it in my whitelist, I can select to temporarily allow it. You can also see from the icon menu if there’s third-party scripts on the page, if it changes when you advance to the next level of the site, etc.

Definitely gives a lot of control beyond the basic. Firefox allows you to block java, script, activex, etc, anyway, but only with Exceptions and minimal controls.

LM

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thanks. That’s what I pictured FF will allow you that much control. However, it’s still requires the task of blocking if the intention is to follow the default-deny principle (block everything and only allow trusted sites). Now if there was a way to import a blacklist (like for blocking ads), that might help greatly.

soyabeaner, perhaps i misread you, but with NoScript, you can deny by default. Everything is denied, and you’re the one that can allow it for the site viewed. Every site is blacklist, sort of, and you make the white list as you go (allow temp/ allow site)

Someone, well that’s just my train of thought. I hope I’m getting this right: in FF, there’s a status indicator notifying that scripts were blocked? Kind of like IE6’s red eye icon to show cookies were blocked, then I can easily enable scripts for that site if it appears that the page didn’t properly load.

I can handle that myself, but for a computer novice who doesn’t have the knowledge/patience to do that for each (legit) site that requires scripts, it would be a bit of an annoyance.

Notification, yes. See the tan tip-bar at the bottom showing the blocked scripting, also the NS icon w/red circle-slash in the toolbar right below that.

[attachment deleted by admin]